"in biblical times they thought the earth was flat"

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

Yes And No

The Flat Earth.

In Biblical Times notable scientists were proving through scientific study that the Earth was round like Eratosthenes in Ancient Egypt, even estimating that the Earth was about 24,622 miles around. Only off by about 300 miles. 2000 years ago. So people aren't saying biblical men and women were idiots all around. Just that, like right now as is apparent in this forum, there are those who will forego evidence slapping them in the face if its not in agreement with their beliefs. People around the world didnt take what this guy said seriously for hundreds of years. Though some accepted that the world could be round, most thought that number way way too big. It took Columbus running into America before people started to really believe the Earth was bigger than they had thought.

And even after we have things like airplanes and satellites circling the globe daily and space flights going up and taking pictures of a rotating globe. Still there were people claiming the Earth was Flat.
    test
  2. x calibur

x calibur

test
  3. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

(Hebrew chugh) of the earth, [...]." Some bibles say "Circle" or "SPHERE"¤. According to Strongs, the word appears 3 other times in the bible Job 26:10, Prov 8:27, Job 22:14 translated compassed (compass) or circuit respectively in the KJV. It should be noted however that the Hebrews had no separate word for a three-dimensional circle ie a "sphere" thus the word covered a circle both in its two AND three dimensional sense. Translators therefore have not taken any liberties translating Isaiah 40 as "sphere" or "globe". ** An alternative word "duwr" is not exclusively a word for sphere: Is. 29:3 reads "And I will camp against thee round about [duwr], and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee." Obviously in this case "duwr" = a circle (to encircle) not a ball. Thus the writers choice in Isaiah40 NOT to use "duwr" cannot be presented as proof positive that he Isaiah meant (flat) circle and not a sphere. Only a spherical object appears as a circle from every angle

This.
    test
  4. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Considering the Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-55, were edited as late as the 6th century BCE, which is in the same century that the concept of a spherical earth is believed to have entered into Greek philosophy, I will just calmly concede that this is not even worth my time arguing about.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.