Important Amp question, please respond....

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by Scrolls-Oracle of Omen, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrolls-Oracle of Omen

Scrolls-Oracle of Omen *DBS*--*A.B.C*

I have a 790 watt amp...2 10's an so on...my boy knows how to hook all that shit up, and we did...we hooked the monster cable to the battery and the amp turned on, then off...now we cant get the amp back on...do u know whats up with it? my boy said something about a crossover..? if u could help, i would most appreciate it...
    test
  2. ThE SiCkNeSs

ThE SiCkNeSs fuck you

did the protection light come on or did it just lose power?

id probably check the fuse to the power cable first if you havent done that already
    test
  3. De'yon

De'yon Hustle Payper On the Beat

I'd gues either you power or ground wire isnt large enoughe to power your amp, its in protection mode, or......ya boy burnt ya amp up......finde an opening in the casing of the amp and put to your nose if it smellls burnt he fried it........if not then its problem with the wires
    test
  4. kaay-O

kaay-O K.O.

Ya my first guess would also be your ground wire.

Check to see if it's large enough AND if it has proper contact.
    Make sure the wire or wire clamp has direct access to the metal.

Scratch the paint away.

Also check the fuses.

Maybe your boy wired the the subs the wrong way.

Check those things(and what the ppl above said) and see what happens.
    test
  5. Scrolls-Oracle of Omen

thanks alot, i will check this tonight...actually, the ground wire we used was very thin and small...so my guess is that it was that...and yeah, the protection light turned on for a sec, then cut off...so prob. the groundings....thanks...
    test
  6. LYFE-LINE

LYFE-LINE New Member

check ground....already hook ground up before Positive wire...then check Overload Protection on amy(fuse) then fuse on Positive Wire....then check your speakers...make sure positive and negatives arnt crossed.....and no naked wires anywhere.....
    test
  7. trifle

trifle New Member

get a voltmeter.....check your ground and see what voltage you're getting...check other spots in the car for ground voltage...you should pick a spot with a similar reading to most other spots that you test...

you should have at least an 8 guage ground for that amp...(i'm guessing it's that 790 max power sony amp)...i'd recommend 4 guage however...

make sure that your power wire is fused near the battery....and if it is...make sure that the fuse isn't blown
    test
  8. Scrolls-Oracle of Omen

nah trifle, its a kenwood amp....everythings kenwood kicker..

i went to radio shack last night and bought i believe it was 12-guage wire...still nothing, checked the fuses...all good. i have the amp mounted behind my back seat under the carpeting...so we put the grounding wire under the seat belt bolt which is right to the metal frame...then we tried the door catcher thing, that catches your door when you close it, we hooked it to the bolt in there...nothing. we dunno what to try next...ill check to see if anything is crossed later..and the protection mode, what is that? if i have to take it off, how do i?

and my boy said somethin that i might need is a crossover to the battery....wtf is that? would it work?
    test
  9. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

amp prolly blown..check fuses
    test
  10. ThE SiCkNeSs

ThE SiCkNeSs fuck you

if the wires are really 12 guage that could be the problem........you should be able to get away with 8 guage but i would still suggest 4 guage
    test
  11. Scrolls-Oracle of Omen

test
  12. OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN

OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN ALCATRAZ INC.

go to the professionals
    test
  13. trifle

trifle New Member

crossover to make your amp work? wtf....you boy DON'T KNOW WHAT HE TALKIN ABOUT! don't trust that muh fucka to ever hook up shit for you again...hahahahahha....

unhook the ground wire from ya battery before hooking anything electrical up....if not there's a good chance it'll go into protection when hooked up
    test
  14. Scrolls-Oracle of Omen

yeah, i think ill go to the professionals. lol. ayo trifle, isnt the ground wire coming from the amp to the frame, what u mean from the battery? anyone have any pics of their groundings or anything i can look at? or are any of yall around mass or new hampshire? lol...
    test
  15. trifle

trifle New Member

oh lawd....well actually you CAN run your ground wire back to the battery since that's the point of origin...the reason you wire the ground to the body or chassis is because there should be metal, which will carry the negative charge....and without a battery as part of your electrical system, that wouldn't work...

you should be removing the negative cable from the battery which connects to the chassis before hooking up ANYTHING electrical....then hook up the amp...then reconnect the negative cable to the battery and/or chassis
    test
  16. Scrolls-Oracle of Omen

aight, ill try that...so the metal frame is the negative hookup? i didnt know that....lol, i guess my boy did...dunno.
    test
  17. trifle

trifle New Member

the metal frame is the eventual hookup, you can hook it up to the body, which will eventually connect to the frame and body which will eventually lead to the negative post on your battery :)
    test
  18. Scrolls-Oracle of Omen

lol, im scared to try anything else...i dont wanna blow the sum bitch...lol. where u live at kid? (hopes he lives within a 1,000 mile radius so he can hook up his amp) hehe....

i should prob. get it done professional though, eh?
    test
  19. OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN

OG FrOgGy JoHnSoN ALCATRAZ INC.

u finally listen :D
    test
  20. racingbitto

racingbitto boom!... boom!

man your friend is totally lost! dont put attention to him... How are you running 12gauge for ground? thats crazy.... im running 12g for subs and 4gauge for ground/power.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.