"If you met someone who hated hip hop, and had to play ONE song to convince them...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by identity-X, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Not true. You know you can rhyme over anything, right?

I've been recording tracks over Greg Pattillo and PROJECT Trio hip-hop symphony, blues, back country gypsy django jazz shit like crazy for the past month just for fun.

[youtube]aLxD61KZO9g[/youtube] [youtube]71w2zdncfj8[/youtube]

It's actually always been my dream, as an Irish and Sicilian gypsy poet/lyricist, to work with a real live traditional Irish band for a whole album... just a pipe dream, I'm a nobody with bullshit recording quality, and it would probably never sell, but if we made it, it would be hip-hop.
    test
  2. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Oh wow. Really?
    test
  3. [ c ] u b

[ c ] u b New Member

[youtube]tA-oNFI7yJc[/youtube]

just messin =P

[youtube]8iUWGhnqBxM[/youtube]
    test
  4. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

thats a pretty simplistic way to look at it

i bet i could find at least one rap song that any one of those people would like

instead of growing out of rap you should have grown out of the need for genres.
    test
  5. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

id never play canibus............what if they liked his old shit and were like yo whats this dude doin now
    test
  6. dj battle cry

dj battle cry Active Member

test
  7. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

props, Knowledge ;)

I like Nas - I Can. It's intelligent without beating you over the head, catchy, features a Beethoven melody (?) and kids singing a chorus.

If you don't like I Can, you don't luh da kids.
    test
  8. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

after having a discussion with the person who posed this question to me (someone who likes very little hip hop), she asked "What about Rappers Delight?"

A fair question. Not a bad choice. The "first" rap record, so it has historical precedent on its side. It's playful and has a wide appeal (though I've heard younger kids comment on how wack it is and imagine die hard haters of rap might suggest this record is responsible for the downfall of America :) ).

But the "inegrity" part of the equation really plays a part for me (see original post), so I'd refrain from playing this one song because of the process by which this record ended up seeing the light of day. NOT hip hop. :)
    test
  9. Knowledge

Knowledge 12 lbs with dick insert.

Word. A lot of people seem to have missed this info but there is so much wrong with that song it's retarded... They weren't even hip hop heads, they didn't write it, they had the wrong intentions, & it was far more Disco oriented than hip hop! :funny:
    test
  10. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN proper weaponry

yes.
    test
  11. gballinace831

gballinace831 New Member

Word. That's the first dude that came to my mind when I read the question
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  12. gballinace831

gballinace831 New Member

Did u just call urself a gypsy?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  13. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i dont luh da kids. that song (and video) is cringe worthy
    test
  14. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Yeah, why?

"i am the keeper of time, the seeker of sign
    i find deeper meanings divined simply speaking a rhyme
    it is he that is I'm, who I speak of in lines
    a crying shame is my name, and I feed off of crime
    my feet are at times, worn to ribbons and thread
    tattered, torn, deformed from the ever imminent tread
    my indigent legs, lend credibility to my immigrant cred
    i am nothing more than an Irish and Sicilian bred
    gypsy, longing for wanderlust, and i live in my head"

My whole family is scattered to the wind, I was raised by a straight from Ireland grandmother who moved to St Louis with my mother in 1958 - she was mocked, accosted, abused, and outcasted by the system and society her whole life because of her brazen, thick Irish brogue and sense of heritage, as well as her long red hair. She raised 5 children by her self in St Louis with no such thing as welfare or child support. My grandfather was a Sicilian immigrant who's family came to the US in 1908, and he was a merchant marine - a man of the sea. That's the blood I come from.

"adapt to all animal codes in whatever habitat that I'm in
    rockin' Hannibal robes, propagate hostile planets, at my whim"

I have been on the move in both the US and the UK since before I could walk or talk. I've never lived in any place more than 6 months, spent a 1/4 of my life homeless, and I got a napsack on a stick tattoo'd on my shoulder blade that I drew myself when I turned 18.

"i rock a napsack on a stick, instead of a backpack
    make moves in the night stay ahead of the rat pack"

A dying breed. One that is a protected status in Ireland, but is unrecognized in the US. I have a strong cultural identity and stay in touch with my roots that are never firmly planted. No different than Wyclef calling himelf a fugee.
    test
  15. gballinace831

gballinace831 New Member

^ wow wasn't expecting that..much love tho.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  16. SuB zer0

SuB zer0 A.D.R.I.A.N.N.A

it would be an outkast song
    test
  17. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

Where else in the UK have you been to man?
    test
  18. HUNDREDGRAND

HUNDREDGRAND New Member

I would problay play them

"Mo' Money, Mo' Problems" you already know.....
    test
  19. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

We lived in Oxford, London and Abbingdon, and went all over the place when I was a kid... I've visited plenty of places around England and Ireland, but that was only when I went there in '98. I was trying to get my citizenship back, but there was a flood of Romanian refugees at the time and the system was buckling. Spent a couple months in Dublin trying to get livin' and workin', and failed. Had to come back.

Nowadays I've heard you can't even get through customs without verification of somewhere you'll be living and verification that you have money to live off.

heh... my cousin's are a couple outcasted IRA worshipping headcrackers over here that can't ever get themselves together. They tried to do it over there too, but got deported for causing too much trouble.
    test
  20. Stez

Stez New Member

very good question and I have been searching for the answer for awhile.
    It seems like "Dance with the Devil" is a great choice for kids that like rock for some reason. I know kids that listen to NO rap at all except for that one song.
    I got my mom into listening to some hip hop with Roots/Talib/Common. Like others have said a lot of people hate hip hop because they think there is no lyrical content and everything is like the radio. Just based on lyrics, I would play some "Common Market". The lyricism in their songs is just so complex and ridiculous. I have blown people away with their shit.

Me personally, I am really into Jazz hip hop right now (sound providers, Kero One, Jazz Liberators, etc) So you can play that shit for people who like Jazz and the lyrics from those artists are on point as well.

I really like the mid 90's shit like Black Moon, Nas, AZ, Wu, Mobb Depp, etc but I wouldnt play songs from those artists to most people who hate hip hop because a lot of the lyrics still deal with violence and drugs.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.