If I could pick Wanderlei and Chuck's next opponents...

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Wandy would drop to 185 and fight Leben, and Chuck would either fight Vera or Houston Alexander.

Thoughts?
    test
  2. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

lol wandy vs kendall grove - kendall will bang and make for a cool HL reel KO/welcome to 185 party

or id say swick but im pretty sure he is down to 170 for good

chuck..... hmmm..... im guessing nobody is interested in chuck jardine II?

what about hamill? lol you think im kidding but i think that would be a straight brawl
    test
  3. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Chuck is in a tough spot because he makes 500k per fight so they are not going to give him a can to get his confidence back. He will probably get a tough guy that will own him. Out of the tough big name guys, I think they should give him Hendo. That is the only one that wouldn't completely own him.

In terms of Wandy, if he's at 185, I want to see him get raped by ex Chute Box teammate Anderson Silva, or maybe even Ace, if he is still willing to fight at middle weight.
    test
  4. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i still think chuck vs hamill is brilliant... the hammer isnt a can at all , he likes to drop bombs
    test
  5. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Rashad and Jardine were supposed to be easy wins for chuck, for those that don't know.

I wouldn't mind chuck/jardine 2. Chuck's been training at att, so i'm interested to see how he's improved. I like Hamill more than most people, it'd probably be a good fight.

Wand vs. ace would be a good fight either way. or maybe even wand/hendo 3.
    test
  6. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Nobody has interest in Wand/Leben.

Shit would be a ko guaranteed.
    test
  7. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

The fight would be Wand by brutal KO...the issue I have with it is that after he wins, all of the Wand fans would be proclaiming he is "back" and they would be intolerable until he got KOd again by an elite fighter.
    test
  8. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

You say Elite fighter like he couldn't beat Rampage in another fight. Did you see that fight? He was whooping Page at every turn until he started getting aggressive and sloppy.

Wand has what it takes to beat anyone in the ufc mw division, including anderson. Especially if he's focusing on more technical striking like he says.

Anderson's strengths are his muay thai and jiu jitsu, and Wand is well versed in both. Anderson's weakness is wrestling, and Wand has had some takedowns in the past and I heard he was working on it at Couture.

I'd bet on anderson, but Wand could beat him imo.
    test
  9. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

and im not taking anything away from page, he did wonderful, and i'd like to see him go on a tear. I just think Wanderlei haters are too quick to count him out.
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I think that's completely naive. Wanderlei beating Anderson? I don't care how hard Wanderlei tries to get technical. He's never gonna be as technical of a fighter as Anderson. Silva would pick 'em apart.

And I think you're showing a heavy bias towards Wanderlei. How on earth was he "whooping" Rampage? He got 'em with a few leg shots. I don't consider that anything remotely close to "whooping".
    test
  11. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

He was easily winning the round. He was answering everything Rampage tried and even managed to not get taken down and landed a knee. How was he not? Rampage was running out of options before he took that chance with a hook and landed it.

and did you read the explanation I gave? All it would take would be a kick from Anderson to give Silva the chance to close the distance and either take him down or land some shots. I love anderson, but the man isn't invincible.

and by "technical" we really mean that Anderson throws straighter punches and utilizes movement. Wandy's only what... 32? He already has movement, and I'm quite certain he's familiar with technical muay thai striking. With a little bit of training, he could easily get his timing down and learn to setup hooks with jabs, and to keep his hands up. It's not like he learning to strike from the scratch, just fixing the gaping holes.

I even think Hendo could take Andy in a rematch.
    test
  12. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

and yes I'm a wanderlei fan, but I'm an mma fan first. I put him in avys and whatnot because of his image. Same reason people liked tyson.

To me, I was most disappointed seeing him lose to Chuck because I thought he dropped the ball.
    test
  13. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

WTF? I just watched the fight again. Rampage started early and pieced up Wanderlei with a few jabs. Aside from that (early on) neither of them landed anything close to substantial. That knee didn't even faze Rampage and didn't even land flush.

And running out of options? go watch the replay for the knock out again. That was not a lucky hook. He timed it perfectly. He saw Wanderlei was throwing wild so he covered up and slightly dipped under the right and countered with a left. That was not taking a chance. It was smart boxing. I have no idea what fight ya'll were watching. I just watched it again for about the 8th time.

Sorry but from what we've seen, Anderson's jiu-jitsu is better than Wanderlei's. And I don't even think Anderson's jiu-jitsu is amazing. And if it's that simple, why have we not seen it yet?

I never said he was invincible but the only fighters that are going to beat 'em that's in the UFC now are world class jiu-jitsu guys that get Silva to the ground. Nobody in UFC has the stand up of Anderson Silva.

I think Maia and Palhares have the best shots at beating Silva in the middle weight but I'm still unsure even of that. And I think St. Pierre could give 'em a run for his money but I'd have to see it...

It's not only the straighter punches. Do you watch Anderson Silva? His combinations that open up other holes in peoples' defense is probably thee best in MMA that I've seen. He knows what angles to come from and where to hit just to open something else up then he hits there and already seems to have a plan where he's going to strike next.

Watch Silva vs. Franklin 2. PERFECT EXAMPLE.

I think Hendo's only chance against Silva is keep it on the ground. His stand up is wack. He's another fighter with predictable stand up that if it stays in the stand up, Anderson will pick 'em apart.
    test
  14. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I'm not a Anderson Silva fan either. I'm an MMA fan just like you. And I respect world class fighting ability and Silva has that. His weaknesses? I think his ground game is overrated (even tho' it's still better than most that he's fought) and his take down defense. So who do I think could beat 'em? Maybe the two best jiu-jitsu fighters in the UFC. Maia and Palhares. And that's a BIG maybe. I'd have to see how they get close enough to gain the clench without getting rocked first. Both their weaknesses is what Silva might be the best at. The stand up....
    test
  15. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

The thing about Anderson's striking is yeah, it's the best, but since when does the better striker always win the standup? Look at Brock and Couture for the most recent example.

as for the Wandy and Rampage fight, ima watch it again in a sec.
    test
  16. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

and yeah, I meant hendo via wrestling. Silva seems about as clueless in a body clinch as franklin did in the muay thai.

oh, and I'm a big anderson fan, when i watched that second fight with franklin i was shocked. but the thing is, look at his opponents. Leben? Sloppy, aggressive - got countered to death. Hendo - overcommits to his right. Created Anderson's openings. Franklin - basically got clinched to hell, and anderson put on a striking clinic while he was foggy. Sandman - threw a kick and got countered. Cote - anderson waited on him to get aggressive, didn't happen. Anderson was forced to outpoint him.

The point is: anderson's offense relies on defense. What happens if he's forced to get aggressive and/or he gets caught while waiting to counter?

Wandy's got power you don't want caught with.
    test
  17. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

rampage looked lethargic and slow/off in the last wandy fight, i was actually worried his career was over when i saw how flat he came out.... he planted a great punch at the prefect time tho
    test
  18. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

k, I just watched it again, and I'm still wonder how wandy wouldn't have gotten the round.

Fight started off with page trying to be aggressive, trying a couple rather insignificant jabs that were all answered with wandy flailing punches that knicked him as he was backing up. Silva kept landing leg kicks, rampage landed one. Rampage tried a takedown, silva stuffed it and did manage to land a knee but not hard enough to be significant.

Rampage landed like, two unanswered jabs. One good one while backing to the cage. He caught a kick, but Wand retained his stance without taking any damage.

So, the leg kicks and answers to the jabs would've easily earned him the favor of the judges prior to the ko.

on a side note: that hook had more power than I originally thought.
    test
  19. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Sorry but that Couture/Brock argument doesn't work. Brock had a retarded reach advantage of 10 inches on Couture. That changed A LOT. Plus the power.

Yes, Wanderlei hits harder but he doesn't have that reach advantage.
    test
  20. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

No no no... I never said Rampage would've won the round. I said he wasn't getting "whooped". BASICALLY: I'm saying he wasn't getting dominated.

Fight started off with page trying to be aggressive, trying a couple rather insignificant jabs that were all answered with wandy flailing punches that knicked him as he was backing up. Silva kept landing leg kicks, rampage landed one. Rampage tried a takedown, silva stuffed it and did manage to land a knee but not hard enough to be significant.

Rampage landed like, two unanswered jabs. One good one while backing to the cage. He caught a kick, but Wand retained his stance without taking any damage.

So, the leg kicks and answers to the jabs would've easily earned him the favor of the judges prior to the ko.

on a side note: that hook had more power than I originally thought.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it did. And that's exactly how I saw it (your breakdown, I mean)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.