If all the atheists left the USA it would lose around 10% of its total population

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Mrjdm998, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

i said: "They in fact see cohabitation as "equivalent" to any marriage relationship."

and later i said that their so call cohabitations ....etc..

i kno i went back and forth but it's for a reason..
    test
  2. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Do you not know how percentages work?

21/2,100 Americans overall are atheists
    21/10,000 Americans in jail are atheists

I think you need to go back to school.
    test
  3. lyricalpriest

how many atheist have been locked up? in their life time? in america?
    test
  4. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Which is worse, a break-up or a divorce?
    test
  5. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

No idea.
    test
  6. lyricalpriest

While the amount of atheists among the prison population is proportionally lower than the amount recorded among the general population, the discrepancy is not nearly as significant as previously claimed. Furthermore, we do not have the correlational strength between these two variables and cannot assume any kind of a causal connection. If we were to have correlational data that showed a strong relationship between these two variables then we could conclude that they were somehow related, although this would not alone tell us what was causing the relationship. A better way of discovering whether or not a theistic believe leads to greater or less propensity to commit crime would be to ask questions such as “Does God exist?” or “Is there a hell?” as opposed to asking people what label they give themselves.
    test
  7. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

If somebody ticks the religious box, they believe in god. Easy. Don't try bullshitting out of the fact you've been shown as having no idea how %'s work.
    test
  8. lyricalpriest

There is a table of data that occasionally gets copy/pasted that shows that atheists represent less that 1% of the prison population. However, it is not actually supported by the data source that it supposedly comes from.

A year or so ago, I found enough of the claim to be able to google the matter. What I got was a report that is around 200 or so pages. If you read the whole thing you'll see and religious affiliation was not even a question that was asked.

As far as I can tell, someone made the numbers up and then attached the idea to a document that they thought nobody would bother to actually check with.

There are more problems that that though.

First, when someone goes to prison, they have a large incentive to make powerful friends fast. Seriously, FSM forbid that that ever happens to me, my anal virginity is on the line and if praising the zombie god helps then whatever.

So even if the question were asked, it would not produce a useful number.

Second, if it were even possible to get a number, there would need to be a reason why it would be so low. The existence of such a low number is an unstated claim that atheists are more moral than theists. I am not personally aware of anything that would make that true.

OK, if there is any substance to that, then show me the real evidence, not a veiled claim. Really.
    test
  9. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Show me a source for that, because every site I looked at backs up the low % of atheists in prison.
    test
  10. lyricalpriest

test
  11. lyricalpriest

i suggest scrolling down to the bottom for the conclusion.. but theirs propaganda on both fronts .. even i will admit that...
    test
  12. lyricalpriest

test
  13. lyricalpriest

QUESTION: There are a few things that are remarkably difficult to believe in this above analysis. For instance, the idea that 50% of the prison population is Roman Catholic is particularly hard to believe when one considers that 48% is African American ... African Americans are NOT predominately Roman Catholic. Also, remember that, according to the DOJs own figures, roughly 25% of the African American prison population are members of the Nation of Islam. That should make for a noticeable percentage of the whole. And, yet, Black Muslims make NO appearance in this report. Also, the 15% figure for Roman Catholics in the United States is horribly off. There are more than 60 million Roman Catholics in the United States, which is roughly 24% of the population. Also, why does this study only take into account MALE inmates, and not female inmates as well? Are we really supposed to believe that the half of the RC membership that is female is not going to be capable of committing crimes? This last bit sounds remarkably like a sexist, anti-Catholic diatribe ... and quite anachronistic to say the least.
    test
  14. KRich662

KRich662 Well-Known Member

that article is 11 years old
    test
  15. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

test
  16. lyricalpriest

why would what i wrote be posted inside another person's article??
    test
  17. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

This is 2001 data:

76.6% - Christian
    19.1% - No Religion/Refused to Answer
    1.3% - Jewish
    0.7% - Other/Not Specified
    0.5% - Muslim/Islamic
    0.5% - Buddhist
    0.4% - Atheist
    0.3% - Hindu
    0.05% - Native American
    0.04% - Bahai
    0.027% - Sikh
    0.026% - Scientology
    0.01% - Santeria
    0.005% - Rastafarian
    test
  18. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

That's a counter argument to an article I never posted.
    test
  19. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

You writing something doesn't mean it's evidence of anything.
    test
  20. lyricalpriest

can you find a newer article for me then?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.