I Wanna Build A Custom PC For Producing And Recording

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Rizzie, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

SOunds like a decent system. You could always get a more powerful video card so your joint doesn't slow down.

jye
    test
  2. Definit

Definit Based.

yeah, if your editing video, you might want 4-8 gigs of ram...and a nicer video card...

for music...2gigs to 8gigs of ram and a video card of about 512mb ram on that should be fine...

once you get into video editing its just another level...but this mans tryina make just a Audio desktop...so...its mainly Safe Storage and Ram...with maybe a Dual Core...should be fine from there...
    test
  3. Ray Digga

Ray Digga NeosulOSkoolAbstrkHipHop

Go i7 you will never be slow again....

the slowest Intel i7 chip is faster than the fastest duo/quad cores before it.....minus the extreme editions....system built around that would run anything you throw at it...

Digga
    test
  4. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

You'd think that this would be the case, but realistically faster chipsets yield more demanding software which makes everything seem slow.

Jye
    test
  5. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

Yea Digga Man....

I was looking through the Micro Center sales paper and that same i7 chip was in this motherboard called the x58 Platinum SLI ATX Motherboard....

Motherfucker cost about $250.00..it just caught my eye...when I seen the i7 processor by intel.....and then I thought about your reply in this thread...

BKster

Wiht
    test
  6. Rizzie

Rizzie Member

Aiight so I been runnin Vista for a few years now working with audio. 2 days ago I switched to Windows XP SP3 and got damn what a difference. Bytch Killa remember when I said I had problems of shit loadin up in reason always taking too long, that shit never happens no more shit is instant, my vsts like fm8 and others dont freeze no more. everything is hell of alot quicker and smoother and xp aint use half of my hard drive that vista used. so i guess with shit bein like this im just gonna upgrade the processor and video card and just go from there. kinda wanna get somethin new custom built but why fix it if it aint broke
    test
  7. Sho-Down

Sho-Down RockItPro.com

Built mine December 07 so I'm sure half this shit is outdated by now, but I can run Photoshop, a pc game, FL Studio with 10 VSTs smooth as shit. Spent around $1,300 total for everything, case, fans, hard drives, etc.

1. ASUS P5E LGA 775 mobo
    2. GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    3. OCZ GAMEXSTREAM 700W PSU
    4. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    5. 2GB RAM
    6. XP
    test
  8. Definit

Definit Based.

lol...you got the same shit as me, except i got a 1000w psu and 8gb ram...your str8 for a long time tho...they still pushin DUO core's on the market...lmao...

but yeah that i7 is nice too...
    test
  9. PLT Productions

PLT Productions Baltics Most Wanted

Don`t keep on board video card! I built my pc just for producing, thought i won`t have a problem having on board video card. Lol, fucking Mozilla slows down like a motherfucker while browsin huge/flash myspace pages, big images and some other stuff.
    test
  10. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

It's really gonna depend on the onboard video capabilities. Mine isn't too bad on this system I'm on now. Mine only has 128MB of video RAM and I'm able to edit video, use photoshop, psp, etc. The key is RAM for any video card/onboard video. The higher the RAM the better off you are.... and if you really wanna get slick with it, cop a video card with a GPU....lol.

Jye
    test
  11. PLT Productions

PLT Productions Baltics Most Wanted

I can edit video, use photoshop either and my RAM is big. Ram doesn`t do shit with your onboard video card, if u have 128 u`ll be good with 1gb. I got VIA Chrome 64mb, i don`t want to waste money on some video card but i think i`ll have to.
    test
  12. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

System RAM and video RAM are different. You can have a ton of system RAM but if you have no video RAM then the video card will resort to using system RAM which will cause performance problems with the PC. So the more self sufficient pieces of hardware you have the better your system will run. So a video card (or onboard video with it's own RAM [video RAM]) can store instructions in its own RAM and not have to mess with the system's RAM. Same as video cards with a GPU. This all of course has other variables that deal with software apps being used but the principle is the same. Yeah for what I do my video RAM is sufficient, but when I start doing some real editing of video I'll need to upgrade my video big time.

*You're most likely going to have to upgrade that 64MB of video RAM because that's not going to bust a grape as we move forward with apps being more demanding.

Jye

test
  13. NonSenSE913

NonSenSE913 Active Member

Yeah, I just defragged the system and cleaned it up a lil bit to get it back to its usual fastness. I got a video card with 256mb right now but after editing some video in Premiere last night I realized how nice it would be to have a dual monitor setup. So I think my next upgrade will be to a nice dual monitor video card.
    test
  14. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

What exactly do you need to set-up dual monitors anyway?.....

I know for one a Good video Card....but what else....??

BKster
    test
  15. NonSenSE913

Its pretty much a video card that takes your desktop and splits it into two different monitors so you can have one half of your program in one monitor and the other half in the other. Like in Adobe Premiere you would be able to view your playback video in one monitor and have all your tools and shit in the other. With one monitor I gotta move shit around, minimize my video and all that just to get to effects and other shit I need to adjust. Here goes an example of a dual monitor video card

ATI FirePro V3750 Workstation Video Card - 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual-Link DVI, Dual Display Port 100-505552 at TigerDirect.com

You can get em in all sorts of types. It depends on what type of video connection you want going to your monitors. Its real nice for video editing and can come in handy for real heavy audio recording/editing sessions. It makes it so you dont have to move shit around so much and you can see everything at one time.
    test
  16. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Good Looking Out Non-Sense....Realistic Talk Pimp...

I rather buy a nice video card before I buy the twin Monitor...

$149.00 isnt bad for a Good Card though...but I already know that Im going to shop around for the Best deal..for the same if not better specs...

But Thanks for the info....and thats very true about the sequencer screen and the Device Rack In Reason......so yea two nice size screens would make a difference...My work flow would go a lot smoother...

But a video Card isnt important right now so....I will just have too work with what I got for now....but i will invest in a card later on.....

Stay Up...

BKster
    test
  17. NonSenSE913

Yeah I feel the same way as you do. It would be nice but my ass is broke right now so Ill just deal with having to cram everything into one screen till I can come up with a way to sell some music and shit.
    test
  18. Krazyjay da Rapper

Krazyjay da Rapper I'm the best there is....

man, ya'll making a brotha scared with all the talk about Externals failing on you......my shit been blinking rather strange lately..and I got EVERYTHING on there. FL Studios,Cubase,Protools,and every VST imaginable! I'll be sooo hurt if it just dies on me.
    test
  19. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

Honestly any drive can go at anytime. Sometimes vendors have bad batches. That's what's scary to me. I had a client that went through 5+ drives because the batch dell got back then was a bad batch from WD. I'm a big advocate of utilizing RAID in your system then anything else you want (if you want).

Jye
    test
  20. akash

akash New Member

desktop and splits

your desktop and splits it into two different monitors so you can have one half of your program in one monitor and the other half in the other. Like in Adobe Premiere you would be able to view your playback video in one monitor and have all your tools and shit in the other. With one monitor I gotta move shit around, minimize my video and all that just to get to effects and other shit I need to adjust. Here goes an example of a dual monitor video card

ATI FirePro V3750 Workstation Video Card - 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual-Link DVI, Dual Display Port 100-505552 at TigerDirect.com
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.