I Wanna Build A Custom PC For Producing And Recording

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Rizzie, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slvicick

slvicick New Member

please explain. Everything I've read says that AMD is behind Intel right now as far as music goes.
    test
  2. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

Watch out for Seagate barracuda 500Gb and 1TB drives. I found out Seagate had issues with their drives, and firmware that bricks up the drive supposedly they release an updated firmware that unbricked the drive without data being lost. buyer beware.
    test
  3. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

yea scratch what i said before

amd used to be but they haven't really come out with a new processor in a while and intel overtook them

my bad
    test
  4. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

Just Got Back From Micro Center.....

Bought 2 gig of Ram....installed them myself....

That shyt was easy as fuck....

Im proud of myself.....I did that....

256MB of Ram to 2Gigs.....Nigga Its Going Down....

They got some Reasonable prices at Micro Center....I'm going back to cop a motherboard....

BKster
    test
  5. heroinhav

heroinhav New Member

I have 2 western digital hard drives and they never failed me. I had some other brand I think it could've been called scandisc and it crashed on me and my best friends a month after having them.

it sucks to lose files!!! Guard them with your LIFE!
    test
  6. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

Peace brother,
    Just remember to be careful with internal components and make sure you are properly grounded use a esd strap if available there is nothing worse then intermittent errors

Jye
    test
  7. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

Actually AMD came out with the tri core cpus last year. They've been producing all along.

Jye
    test
  8. Definit

Definit Based.

i bought all the hardware for my custom built comp thru tigerdirect.com and newegg.com

got 8gigs ram
    quad core

all that...
    test
  9. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

I was careful and followed the Dell Manual for my P/C step for step...

I press the power button on the P/C while it was unplugged just as the directions said....i assume this makes sure all the power is out of the P/C system...

I also grounded myself by touching on a metal part on my Computer just as the directions stated...

Shyt Its over now....I'm done...No Issues or Problems...

I ready to install some PCI Cards Now....I got the manual....I can't Fail....

I just happy I finally upgraded...Its a lot faster too....

I like that 8GB specs Def'....I got to over haul my entire motherboard to fuck with 8 gigs...but 2 gigs will do me for now......I wont go Quad ....Ill go Dual.... I done read that Dual Core will do just fine for Music...

Thats a Monster You Got In Your Lab Though......8 fuckin Gigs.....Dam!!!!

BKster
    test
  10. slvicick

slvicick New Member

tigerdirect and newegg should be the first places anyone looks if they wanna upgrade or start building a new pc
    test
  11. Concero

Concero ...sol

I'll make some specific suggestions for specs...

Case: Antec Solo (quiet case good for recording environment).

Mainboard: Intel DP35DPM. Excellent mainboard.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650.

Power supply: PC Power & Cooling 500watt

Memory: 4GB Mushkin or OCZ matched pair

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8600 512MB (Will enhance anything that can take advantage without breaking the bank)

Sound card: Delta 44 or better.

Windows XP Professional.

Biggest seagate hard drive you can find. I would get two of them matching and set them up in RAID 0 mode so that you always have a mirror image of the first drive.
    test
  12. Concero

Concero ...sol

And to touch on what Sol said....external hard drives are crap. Never use those as a crutch. Always have additional internal drives to back up important data. External drives are not meant to be hooked up for long periods of time. They eventually idle out and stop responding after a while. Externals are more for transferring large files to different places.
    test
  13. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

So what are internal drives called when they crash or start tripping....?...They play out too you know?...There are some sad hurt internal drive users just as well as externals.....

Your Lab gotta be Cold..like a computer Room or Hospital......and dust free...Heat is electronics number one Killa...
    How many of you niggaz take the time to open you P/C and dust it out....??...

You may just had a nightmare with one also....You wanna share your external drive story with us?..

Im going to install 1 extra internal drive in my P/C DAW....but I still plan to also have two other external hard drive....a matching set as you mentioned above...then for extra safe back up....Ill file my shyt on CD's...Catalog My Shyt....

Ill stash my important cd file in the attic and if I needed more room.....Ill call Public Storage...Ya feel me?...Realistic Talk Pimps...

Imma check into this Board....since you stressing its excellent and all that shyt...

Can it hold 8 gig ram?.or More?...

BKster
    test
  14. slvicick

slvicick New Member

External aren't crap, u just gotta get a quality one if you want it to last, like a glyph
    test
  15. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Took the words right out my Mouth....

You want a super reliable dependable as Drive.....you gotta come with the correct amount of Money....

You can't really expect a drive under a hundred dollars to last a lifetime...They gonna fuck up....you suppose to respect that and accept it...all electronics will eventually die out one day....the more you use it...all you can do to prevent it from die faster...is too keep it kool and dust free....

Hard Drives are Born to Die.....just as we Are as humans....Born To Die...

But yea you want a real good quality drive...

They got them...you just gotta pay....

[​IMG]

$299.99......500gb....Not bad for that Pro Shyt....that's built to transfers file all the time...

BKster
    test
  16. Definit

Definit Based.

i have 3 TB Internals...for On-Time Storage and access...
    another 3 TB Externals for Storage...if only turned them on to Transfer files To or From. mostly for backing up and reformatting purposes...

my case is Loud, but i got like 8 big ass fans keeping it cool...i dont care about fan noise, it doesnt really bother me when im mixing...aslong as the comp is nice and cool, plus i got a coolant system in there...so nothing heats up...which is a must if you plan on having something fast...
    test
  17. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

yep.

lots of fans and maybe even a water-cooling system
    test
  18. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

source: Storage expert warns of short life span for burned CDs

Although opinions vary on how to preserve data on digital storage media, such as optical CDs and DVDs, Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland GmbH, takes this view: If you want to avoid having to burn new CDs every few years, use magnetic tapes to store all your pictures, videos and songs for a lifetime.

"Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD," Gerecke said in an interview this week. "There are a few things you can do to extend the life of a burned CD, like keeping the disc in a cool, dark space, but not a whole lot more."

The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data "shifting" on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam.

"Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life span of around two years," Gerecke said. "Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years." ....Hard-drive disks also have their limitations, according to Gerecke. The problem with hard drives, he said, is not so much the disk itself as it is the disk bearing, which has a positioning function similar to a ball bearing. "If the hard drive uses an inexpensive disk bearing, that bearing will wear out faster than a more expensive one," he said. His recommendation: a hard-drive disk with 7,200 revolutions per minute.

To overcome the preservation limitations of burnable CDs, Gerecke suggests using magnetic tapes, which, he claims, can have a life span of 30 to 100 years, depending on their quality. "Even if magnetic tapes are also subject to degradation, they're still the superior storage media," he said.
    test
  19. ItalynStallion9

ItalynStallion9 New Member

test
  20. NonSenSE913

NonSenSE913 Active Member

I just built a new one last year thats still running like a beast. Get a motherboard with a very fast bus speed...Get a cpu thats about mid range for speed. You're wasting money buying the fastest, best cpu out now because itll be worth half as much in 2 months. Get at least 2gb of ram, a decent video card, large hard drive with a fast read speed...Dvd/cd burner, a case with room for expansion and a very nice power supply. Dont go cheap on the power supply either cause the shitty ones arent real good at keeping each piece of equipment in the computer powered at all times.

I paid like 600 bucks total and have a system that runs Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Acid Pro etc. flawlessly....It does slow down a lil bit when editing large video though but thats only natural unless you're using an Avid.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.