i read thru this whole forum but still have a couple quick easy questions...

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by SkiLLzSter, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkiLLzSter

SkiLLzSter New Member

does it matter on the steps on using the effects, filters, dynamic processing, equalizers?? like can you go dynamic processing first, then filters, then effects, then equalizer? or do you have to do the effect exactly like some of the people tutorials? if you didn't understand my question heres an example

like i usually go dynamic processing first, then filters, then noise and hiss reduction, then effects

will it be the same if i go filters first, then noise and hiss reduction then dynamic process then effects??

anyone can help me out...thanks
    test
  2. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

yes it does...

you'll get different results from duing them in different order

but u should really do all noise and hiss reduction first, cuz eq and dynamic distort the shit outta ur vocals if u have dirty vocals (hiss an noise). it just makes them worse. other than that though, compression (dynamics) and EQ can be done either/or.
    test
  3. SkiLLzSter

SkiLLzSter New Member

thanks man...appreciate it
    test
  4. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

punch doesnt know shit

dont mess wit ya vocals at all

just noise reduction if its really necessary and maybe a touch of reverb
    test
  5. Krystile

Krystile New Member

no dont listen to either one of them... do this

dynamics processing >> gate compressor
    then
    dynamics processing >> vocal limiter

the gate compressor effect will kill all hiss 1000x better than any noise or hiss reduction because it litterally removes all noise at the frequency where hiss occurs... and will not lower the quality of your vocals like high hiss reduction does because your voice is not on the same frequency as the hiss that is gated out

after that dont add any effects at all... just use ablibs to improve the sound of your verse... if you havent noticed almost all of the big boys keep their vocals clean nowadays... the time of reverb is over
    test
  6. SkiLLzSter

SkiLLzSter New Member

ok thanks...i'll try all those out and see which one is best...thanks for the help guys...
    test
  7. CompassSaviour

CompassSaviour Got no brain, goin insane

Gate/Compressing almost never has anything to do with frequency, unless you're trying to make a de-esser or depopper.

What dynamic (read, amplitude) procesing does is say "When I am playing at this level, change it into this new level." Go to the 4th page of the dynamics processing, and I bet you'll find it works on frquencies from 0Hz - 24000Hz. Both the noise and your voice are in that frequency range (duh).
    test
  8. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

lol@Everyone coming in here and disagreeing with everyone else, the posting the "right way" to do it. Then someone else comes in and does the same thing over again,lol.
    test
  9. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

every vocal track is gunna be different

especially with all the different set ups of everyone on this site

but no matter wat u do or have to work with....noise and hiss reduction are first if ur usin cool edit or dont have i high end soundcard...i dont even do either of those...but trust me, when i had madd static with my shitty soundcard, it came out best when i handled that shit first

and i dont know shit? well, then apparently whoever wrote the books i read on professional recording techniques with pro tools who worked with professional recording artists an studios doesnt know shit either. guess no one in the industry knows shit except sum lil net head who spent sum time in his room with cool edit. yeah. you can do EQ's or Compressions FIRST that will get ur vocals nice and evened out, then get rid of the other noises an tones u dont like with ur gates, de-essers, etc. but like i said, the primary noise reduction and hiss reduction comes first if u have a regular soundcard that has static.
    test
  10. banetheterrible

banetheterrible New Member

alot of people here dont know what the hell they are doing.
    test
  11. Krystile

Krystile New Member

its obvious you didnt read everything I wrote... and that you have no idea what "gate" means.

anyone who has alot of hiss in their tracks just do what I said, you'll see what I'm talking about
    test
  12. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

yall know dat a gate iz wut i limits fo dem frequenciez to stay out!
    test
  13. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

If the amplitude of an incoming signal is less than X, don't let it through. If it is greater than X, let it through. X = your threshold. This is called a....

Ya'll are funny [funny]
    test
  14. SkiLLzSter

SkiLLzSter New Member

ok i got rid of the hiss...thanks

i read from a thread about the EQ level to be set at a certain number. Mines is set all at 0. The H, M, L is all set at 0 but i read on a thread to set it at 4.0 for H, -2.4 for M, and 3.3 for L. Is that really necessary? Cuz when i set it and then set it back it sounds the same to me but i did notice the DB bar on the bottom keeps going over 0 and hitting the red part of the bar when i set it as stated above, but when set at 0 for all H,M,L (meaning i haven't fucked around with the EQ) it only hits highest -3. Can someone explain what the EQ does. Its the 3 buttons on the top left where it says VOL, then EQ, then BUS. I'm talking about the EQ...thanks again...
    test
  15. CompassSaviour

CompassSaviour Got no brain, goin insane

A gate will take out the hiss if you are using it properly, but *NOT* for the reasons you stated. I KNOW what a gate is. A gate simply acts as an on/off switch. When something get's above the desired threshhold, it lets sound through. When it get's below said threshhold, it attenuates the sound by whatever amount you set it to. (*oh, like doctah said :) )

So by figuring out the average amplitude of your vocals, you can set the gate to attenuate amplitudes that fall below that.

In this case, it has NOTHING to do with frequency.

So you tell ME how a gate works then, buddy.
    test
  16. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

gates are rusty.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.