"I quit battling to make music"

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by HaM2VaN, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirtBagDan

DirtBagDan Well-Known Member

I'll grab a screen shot from my media fire... Why you think I get Paid Dues n shit... my music videos get decent views... I'm on my hustle... Still gotta battle though... Mostly cause I loves it
    test
  2. NEBRASKA

NEBRASKA Member

I haven´t read anyones responses but I honestly think a fan of battles are the least to support buying their music.. it takes shows, and enthusiastic people at them to buy something more so as a souvenir.
    test
  3. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

The only good reason is that it can be very difficult to be battle writing mode and song writing mode which is why allot of battlers suck at songs.

Other than that quitting battling to make music I find is stupid. I always say look at DBD I think he's the prototype for battlers too look at what to do with battling and music to be successful
    test
  4. KingoftheDutch

KingoftheDutch Active Member

you really think 24/7 barely sold 500? c'mon son
    test
  5. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

its dope if you can juggle both...
    test
  6. Somafide

Somafide Well-Known Member

i think young bike rack said it best

'"uugggh they sleep on meee", SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DO SOME PUSH UPS OR SOMETHIN'
    test
  7. Lil' Ze

Lil' Ze Active Member

Free downloads?

(Still impressive even if so)
    test
  8. Spacelab

Spacelab Well-Known Member

Yes, but like all long-distance truckers, Dirtbag Dan is on speed
    test
  9. mister_nAz

mister_nAz Member

i just brought the AI album

Shit is pure fire. No filler at all.
    test
  10. ~madcow~

~madcow~ Member

24/7 isnt even very successful as a battler, decent success at best. He has literally zero fans outside of battling tho. I've never heard him mentioned once.
    test
  11. RELELEN

RELELEN New Member

Y'all gotta quit hating on 24/7. He has a proper college degree, a job and is working on an album with his group Voices of Reason I believe. They should have an EP out soon. He's expanding his fanbase. For example he's done shows with Reks and AmIAm.
    test
  12. Joe Phrantana

Joe Phrantana 51toooooooooo!!

I just hopped in the thread real quick to make sure DBD was indeed talking about himself again.
    test
  13. Boom

Boom paradox

exodus was excellent
    test
  14. Joe Phrantana

Hmmm.

Some interesting perspectives here.

I think it comes down to what you want out of this shit.

For me, I wanted to battle some top names and get a battle with at least 100k views.

Those were really my only goals (besides winning a big tournament which I never did)

So what is there after that? I'm just gonna battle and battle and battle and then what?

I'm not Thesaurus, I'm not Diz, I'm not DBD, I'm not Dumbfounded.

Those guys built a fanbase through battling but:

1. They were geographically in the right place at the right time in terms of the battling culture. (There are always exceptions to thNess Lee, Storm, Fresco, etc.)

2. It took years, and years, and years for them to get to the level that they are at in terms of notoriety.

Obviously they're all really, really, good too but I digress.

So for me personally, I have to ask myself some pretty tough questions.

Do you want to be a marginal battle rapper? Or do you wanna take a shot at creating something bigger? And maybe that's me being a pessimist or underestimating my skills as a battler.

But I'm happy with my decision and I feel like we've made moves to re-assure me that it was the right thing to do.

Maybe I'm wrong. But you never know unless you try.
    test
  15. Joe Phrantana

Thanks man!
    test
  16. mac lethal

mac lethal Active Member

The smaller your ego gets, the less battling becomes of interest. Battling is purely based on needing to have your ego fed/measure dicks with someone else. It's all about the type of energy you want to be surrounded by. Music, in particular, music with feeling/substance, attracts a completely different type of person than battling. I personally prefer that type of person. Maybe you don't. To each, his own.

As men, though, we all need to engage in competition. Hence why I started doing Jiujitsu/Muay Thai in 07, which is much more gratifying to me.

Battle rap is rooted in rap music. Is it really that shocking that battle rappers quit battling to focus on rap music? A (potentially) much more lucrative, substantiating thing to be affiliated with?

Do you.
    test
  17. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

i really did gogo someone my second day you fucker
    test
  18. Neanderthol

Neanderthol Well-Known Member

DBD shut the thread down then Mac ruined it again but ppl lookin at it wrong:
    cats use this "theme" when they realize they can't do both

those of you that don't rap may not understand how time consuming either of these two avenues are in terms of writing and, more importantly, good writing

When a battler realizes he cant effectively do both he is going to make a choice and it is our nature to do what is most satisfying: not what is most lucrative, not where the bulk of the fanship comes from OR WHAT MORE PPL WANT HIM TO DO-they gon do what they want.This is very nornal. People quit 50K factory jobs because of moral dilemmas or to chase some sort of dream that leaves them broke or a starving artist. The person generally doesn't doubt his decision if he is being fulfilled.
    but in this case guilt/anger/confusion from the further realization that fans want the battles more and alot of times only like the battles-- creates this Exclamation of music over battling(ala Soul Kahn)
    test
  19. Akkilla

Akkilla Member

yo did you guys hear that new soul khan joint in the club??? me neither.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.