"I quit battling to make music"

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by HaM2VaN, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaM2VaN

HaM2VaN slow it down

The most common reason for a batter to quit battling is to make music.

But, I can bet most of their music sales come from battle fans, for example... 24/7

Lets say he sold 500 cd's. (strech i know) but in reality, how many of those cd's were sold to someone who never seen his battles and only listened to his music? and how many of those were sold to fans he obtained from battling?

I know were never gonna get a real detailed number and everything will be estimated (especially cause no artists is gonna admit all their sales come from fans they obtained from battling, they like to think they have a seperate fanbase for music)

If battling is the only reason your a known name to any of us than why would you quit all together?

why not do a good balance of both to keep your fans happy and use it for promotion for your music?

by the way this is not a shot at 24/7 as i like him as a battler and his music but its like watching him fade to nothingness cause hes decided to 'retire'

feel free to replace 24/7 with many other names that have faded to nothingness

discuss

:datshard:
    test
  2. HaM2VaN

HaM2VaN slow it down

*waits for 'i dont wanna be known as just a battler rapper' answer*
    test
  3. JackDeuce

JackDeuce Well-Known Member

Yeah always thought this was weird. If you don't wanna battle any more, just don't. But they don't need to concoct some reason why. Just say it's more a chore than fun now
    test
  4. Marotta

Marotta The Engineer

I actually put quite a few people on to 24's first album none of them saw his battles, but they really liked it.

EDIT: That said I don't think he needed to quit battling for it as I'm a fan of his work on both platforms
    test
  5. TripWire

TripWire Exposed

This has been said a million times before, but it's still true to some degree. What Jacc said.

Battles are great promotion, and lots of battle fans are supportive as fucc.
    test
  6. J.V.L.

J.V.L. Member

Hey Wordsnitch maybe you can help KOTD expand their fanbase by doing a couple of battles. I heard you're really big in Yemen.
    test
  7. 2nogardnep

2nogardnep Active Member

i quit battles, but there's loot... So now it's f- you pay me;
    fans can't tell me shit - i let you hate me!
    test
  8. JustJ123

JustJ123 Well-Known Member

Cause its about establishing a new fan base of people who like them for their music and not their battles...
    test
  9. MC Thousand

MC Thousand Active Member

op quit being a bitch to be a faggot.

confirmed.
    test
  10. philadelphiaLAW

philadelphiaLAW Active Member

Is your test tube baby getting too crazy?
    test
  11. 2nogardnep

2nogardnep Active Member

Well, I mean, when my student's this good, it's hard to play teacher
    test
  12. Chill Status

Chill Status Member

I wouldn't recommend "quitting" but taking a break seems reasonable to me. Think of how many bars they're thinking of and compiling together for battles that could be used in creating full songs, leading to ep's and lp's. Trying to juggle both only heightens the possibility of encountering writers block or having people saying: "man, f#@# this dude man. He just spit that same shit on the radio" or "boo, what he just said to this dude, he thought we wouldn't catch that from a song that he thought nobody heard" etc.
    Sometimes it's just better to focus on one thing at a time (depending on how much of return you're hoping for out of your investment.) As with most things, it's not as easy as it seems from the outside looking in.
    test
  13. philadelphiaLAW

philadelphiaLAW Active Member

test
  14. RonSimmons

RonSimmons my name, is Battle Rap

Pesci, dirtbag Dan, illmac, 360, lush one, and nocando are all people that I've had friends or acquaintances mention or listen to without knowing about their battles.

I mean I think it's a decent excuse. if people start getting known in battling but their music Is lacking, they probably think and wish that they put as much effort into their music.

plus everyone knows that your stock raises when you retire so whereas I don't give a fuck about 99% of battlers music right now I'm sure if they retired I'd be somewhat curious to check out their music somewhere down the line just to see if they've gotten anywhere with it.
    test
  15. DirtBagDan

DirtBagDan Well-Known Member

Bro, I'm on Paid Dues this year, I'm headlining my 3rd national tour, my Mixtape got 200k DL's... And I would still say the majority of my fans, sales, etc. are from battle fans

Music is no reason to quit battling
    test
  16. Chiefspice

Chiefspice CHIEFSTYLES

the empty bottles disk is pretty good bro
    also hes young bike rack so he should get no hate
    test
  17. RonSimmons

RonSimmons my name, is Battle Rap

but if you barely had any music, or your music was total shit, wouldn't you say it might be worth it to take a break to develop it more so you would actually have a legitimate product to push?
    test
  18. DonDemarcoPolo

DonDemarcoPolo Member

[​IMG]
    test
  19. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

where does it show your mixtape had 200k dls? thats insane
    test
  20. themomhunter

themomhunter Hide Your Kids/Wife

Perhaps, although I don't think Soul Khan had an increase in volume of music since he gave up battling, and I don't feel like Iron Solomon pushed much out either. I think Fresco might be in the same category, although I'm not sure he retired because of making music but rather the overabundance of gay jokes and dick riding of the crowds.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.