I need a mentor...

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by V E R B, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V E R B

V E R B Guest

i wanna learn how to write poems or do poetry..
    test
  2. lpoet

lpoet POET

what do u need to know?...just write what u feel...
    test
  3. lpoet

lpoet POET

my aims mahgirba if u really want some advice
    test
  4. ManMadeofAshes

ManMadeofAshes *DREAMER

poetry is about self expression. That is key. Also, you will notice, even picking through a lot of the poetry on this sight that people focus on rhyme more than they do content, which obviously lacks expression. They would rather have it sound good that be honest. that is fucking bullshit. Write it how it is, and if you want, think about a rythm later. But remeber its the content that is important. It also helps to be original, which is pretty fuckin hard these days. That means.. love poems are played, people talking bout having the illest of styles and crooked smiles and shit.. thats all played

thats all for now you got questions and I will answer them.. if you got a poem I will read it and give you what advice I have to offer. Keep in mind none of us our experts here...
    but we our the audience so our opinion is as valid as anyone elses. (Ive also taken classes and studied the mechanics of poetry, so any critique I give you I can justify with the logic that entails it. Okay man.. most important. just write. Dont worry about the start and end, just enjoy the process. If it doesnt go anywhere right away.. well thats okay.. you got a start, which will make it easier to finish.

Ashes
    test
  5. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

I'll get Anaphora and Predicate to help you out.
    test
  6. predicate

predicate New Member

The best poets wrote their poetry only after reading and imitating the best poets before them. If you want somebody here to give a few sure-fire tips to writing great poetry, get rid of that lazy Get-Rich-Quick mentality and understand that success only comes from years of hard work. If you want to make it to the NBA, you dedicate your life to studying great basketball players, understanding their mentality, and incorporating those lessons into your own game. You can't just pick up a basketball for the first time ever, have Joe Shmoe tell you that basketball is only a matter of getting the ball in the basket, and being content with that.

However, if you just want to dabble with poetry, and are content with writing bad but emotional poetry, then stop thinking and start writing.
    test
  7. If that is the case, where did the very first great poets get their works from?
    test
  8. I would advise you not to listen to nonsense such as this. To say emotional poetry is bad, or shows traits of someone that does not think, is absurd.
    test
  9. predicate

predicate New Member

I'm done arguing with you, so fuck off.

And if you think your question of "uhhh, well, uhh, where did duh first gweat poets get gweat from?" is a valid question, or can't think of the answer yourself, then fuck off even harder.

You goddamn hippie.
    test
  10. Sole Sovereign

Sole Sovereign Hungry But Never Starving

ManMadeOfAshes is contradicting himself, he tells you only honest poetry is good poetry.. and not to worry about a polsihed flow or delivery, yet turns right around and tells you love poems are played.. lol.. well if its how you honestly feel at the time.. wouldnt that make it good poetry. Nobody can tell you how to do you. My best advice for a raw first piece would be to sit down and relive the most vivid emotional experience in your life.. whether it was the first time you fucked, or the first time you pulled a trigger, or the first time you ever felt some truely raw emotion... relive it in your head a few times.. then just write down what comes.... again content is definately important.. but format and delivery make a read enjoyable... nobody wants to sit through and read a jumble block of non sense
    test
  11. You question my questions validity then insult me for not being able to answer it myself? way to try and insult my intelligence with that oxymoron. both my points still stand. Not all great poets will have studied what you suggest to achieve greatness, and not all poets who write emotional poetry possess the inability to think. But anyway, I'm done discussing this too--It's quite obvious through your name calling that you only care to offend, whether you think you have a point or not.
    test
  12. Sole Sovereign

I'd agree with on Brit Boi Gee in your two's debate, but he's British.. lmfao.. just playing. Name calling is really not called for and juvenille, and furthermore if you're doing it on some internet POETRY forum, you probably get beat up at lunch for your goods...
    test
  13. Novaman: RaWKiLLa

Novaman: RaWKiLLa New Member

if you wanna learn how to write poetry there is to things you need to learn.

1) How to be honest with yourself and others.

2) Two things in this life are for sure: taxes and death.
    test
  14. Sole Sovereign

Taxes arent certain, anarchy could be here tommorow and there would be no structured government.... Gain and Loss are certain
    test
  15. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

The way I think of my poetry, is it's simply like a journal I keep. The reason why someone would keep a journal is to keep to date on what's going on in that person's life and how they are feeling about whatever is going on-thats the only way I could put it. The first time I wrote poetry, I didn't even know it was poetry. So there ya go,
    -Peace
    test
  16. Young_J

Young_J New Member

I hope yall dont mind if I post in here
    but I need help also in writing poetry
    I've been readin some but I still don't know how to write poetry
    test
  17. DaJackle

DaJackle ThoughtS ProcessinG

for the most part, most of the people in here statef some very true facts on how to start...poetry is an expression, an art form...to start at something new...you have to pick up the pen and jstart writing without borders, write about things that you are afraid or to even talk about...but you also have to read....reading will help you find a way to organize your thoughts, the stuff that you have written with out borders...the more you read, the more ideas you will get to organize your thougths, don't be afraid to experiment with the poet's style...that is a way of growth...emotion is a good thing...however, emotions alone will only will half of the readers interest...it is on the way that you convey your emotions that grabs people's attention...but the first real step is to be able to express yourself on paper...to be able to open your mind and map it out on the paper...when you are confortable doing that...reading and experimenting on ideas that you like well help you improve your organization, and lastly...you have to learn about the art form to enhance your ammunition...and be creative with it...it's all about having fun and learning more about yourself and exceeding limits
    test
  18. Index.

Index. New Member

Verb is so stupid.
    test
  19. V E R B

V E R B Guest

you're my #1 dickrider..
    test
  20. runofthejamill

runofthejamill or not.

street poet, maybe you could just try writing , full stop. without thinkin about it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.