i know theres some mma heads in here... which should i do first..bjj or muay thai?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ben Official, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

gunna be startin some trainin so i can get some extra exercise on the days i dont lift, have always wanted to learn brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai boxing, but not sure which one would be better to start out with.

my gut is tellin me bjj what u think
    test
  2. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

you can do both! just take an mma class they teach all forms.

but if your already a good striker go with the bjj first...and learn some wrestling so you can defend takedowns.

im pretty sure though you can take both bjj and muay thai...bjj takes more time to learn and thai is pretty easy style simple you can learn the form easy but its in practice which you profect it.

if you get into bjj buy some grippers becuase your grip strength will be tested.

look on this page i posted about captains of crunch grippers start with the smallest and move up...and then do your forearm excersices.

stick to pull ups, push ups and squats for bjj you need functional strength more then anything...and flexibility.
    test
  3. J o o k

J o o k Guest

whats mma?
    test
  4. Ben Official

mixed martial arts

i researched some of the places around the area, and i know someone whos a blue belt at one of them so i'll check em out. most of the jiu jitsu academys also teach mma a day or 2 out of the week but said it was for more experience people, and i havent really found a muay thai place yet.
    test
  5. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

I'd recommend going to with one of the jiu-jitsu places that also teaches MMA.
    test
  6. Ben Official

and taking the bjj until im experienced enough then take mma?
    test
  7. LowPro

LowPro Hebrew Hammer

are you stupid

MIXED martial arts

most dudes in mma have multiple degree black belts in one area and is expert in another plus who knows however many other styles they cross train with

if you wanna take bjj you gotta be familiar with wrestling, instinct, be comfortable on the ground, patient, ect ect

for muay thai you gotta learn footwork...box...be mobile and use every part of your body...feel out the opponet..study him as time progresses in the match

dive head first straight in will result in you gettin the shit knocked out of
    test
  8. Conceited One

Sure, why not? You said they train MMA to the more experienced members of the gym, once you start getting comfortable on the ground, then you can probably start training in mixed and work on your stand-up and gnp a bit. Especially if can't find a good Muay Thai place, as you stated.

LowPro, you are an idiot. He was simply asking where he should start. No need to insult him.

Most have multiple degree black belts? Hmm...I do believe the some of the most popular forms of martial arts that are used in MMA are wrestling, muay thai, boxing, kickboxing, submission and non-gi grappling...none of which have belt rankings. Only one worth noting is jiu-jitsu/bjj.

This has no revelance to what he was asking.
    test
  9. LowPro

LowPro Hebrew Hammer

he was sayin he wants to BEGIN training bjj OR muay thai on his non lifting days and then jumped forward to wantin to get into MMA

i was just tellin him to master one art before jumpin so quickly into another and gettin ahead of himself to keep him from being severely injured

yea because it's so popular it's automatically ruled out [dummy]

i duno about you man but ive seen some BAD ASS MMA artists and the successful ones are ones who are HIGHLY skilled in each area of their respected discipline

just because there's no rankings doesnt mean shit
    test
  10. Conceited One

Of course they are highly skilled in all areas, well..most of them. I was just simply stating that they weren't multiple degree black belts. I didn't want to give him the assumption that it was needed.
    test
  11. Ben Official

what you thought i didnt know what mma was?

im not tryin to jump right in to this shit. i know a fair amount for a beginner and have researched many different martial arts. after seeing everything, my favorite stand up is muay thai and my fav ground is bjj.

im not sure what you thought i was trying to say, lowpro. im not an idiot.
    test
  12. Ben Official

but thanks for the advice
    test
  13. LowPro

LowPro Hebrew Hammer

na i was talkin to the guy who asked what mma was
    test
  14. Conceited One

^ oh...lol...should have quoted him then...i thought you were talking to Ben...

anyway, have you started anything yet Ben?
    test
  15. Ben Official

not yet, i still gotta talk to this guy i know that trains at one of the places i was looking at and see which ones best, it looks like i'll start with bjj and work up to mma. i also wanna warm up for it by doin a lot more cardio n shit for stamina, and so im takin my time with it so i get what i want. also gotta make sure i still have room for a social life. its hard enough when i work full time with horrible hours and still go to the gym everyday. ill either start in a couple weeks or wait until everyone goes back to school (im taking the year off)
    test
  16. Conceited One

I had the same problem, I just started training earlier this year. I have always wanted to, but never had the time with going to school, working full time, and working out religiously...I decided to take some time off school (i hate school, doubt i go back anytime soon...lol), began working all morning shifts and training a couple hours 4 days out of the week...leaves me with plently of spare time...
    test
  17. Conceited One

btw...I train in Muay Thai and Submission Grappling (no-gi, mixture of wrestling and bjj), we also do MMA, working on combining all areas...I'd like to compete in MMA someday...not anytime soon though...
    test
  18. Ben Official

thats awesome. is it an mma class or what is it labelled as?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.