I just came out of hiding...

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by ANDtheMC, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

After a painful UFC 100... I come out in shame of Frank Mir's ass whoopin'. I'm not making excuses but I was heavily upset. First round should've been stood up, def'nitely. Not the second round... And it didn't look like it would make much of a difference because being Lesnar wasn't taking any chances to pass or transition or move, Mir had no space to really do anything. If anything, he might have had an opportunity to stand up when Brock gave him a tiny bit of space in the first round but that was about it.

He got out-strategized, out-muscled, and just straight up battered. It was a disappointing night for me, after an INCREDIBLE night of fights.

Yes, Lesnar pinning down Mir does take skill (wrestling) but at the same time, it had just as much to do with strength advantage and size. Try to gain wrist control on someone much stronger than you and it's not always as easy to hang on.

It was rough... Brock showed obvious improvements... And for the first time, I question could he beat Fedor. I thought he had no chance in hell. But Fedor is prone to getting taken down and Brock just happens to be the best takedown guy Fedor would have ever fought in an MMA environment. Fedor is smaller than Mir and tho' he has better overall grappling (tho' Mir has better submissions), would he be able to get up if Lesnar just pins him down with all that strength and weight and pummels him? I dunno anymore.

This is a dark day for MMA. This is the most disappointed I've been when somebody retained a championship belt because I just don't like him being the face of this sport I love so much. With his antics and nonsense. I GUARANTEE YOU, even if Frank Mir beat Brock Lesnar he would've been humbled and shook his hand. What Lesnar did was straight despicable.

Just my two cents.
    test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

For some reason, I got the feeling that Mir wasn't doing much the first time he was on his back because he expected the fight to be stood up at any second. Maybe I'm wrong, but you can see Mir looking at the referee, especially when Brock had the rape choke.
    test
  3. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i get the feeling he couldn't do anything even if he wanted to. why would they stand them up? brock was pummeling mir constantly. there was no "down time" and mir was defending himself as best he could.

if brock gets on top of someone, they're most likely not getting up unless it's a stand-up or he lets them.
    test
  4. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

no reason to stand them up lesnar was doin substantial damage it wasn't like they were in down guard and love tapping, lesnar was controlling his head and landing punch after punch, at the end of the round mir was all swollen in the face
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I disagree... He started picking up his pace when fans started booing but for a decent amount of time, he wasn't doing much damage or attacking. He seemed VERY cautious and laid on top of Mir for a while. But the way the fight was going, Lesnar seemed to respect Mir's striking A LOT. He wouldn't engage like he did with everyone else he fought. He waited for Mir.

Like I said, late in the first or the entire second round, I don't think it should have been stood up. But I think it should have DEFINITELY been stood up early in the first round.
    test
  6. brothamang

brothamang New Member

Yea, I agree

As gay as it was, Lesnars fat ass won
    test
  7. 3ternal

3ternal Stay hungry my friend.

I have no idea how anybody could have picked Mir, that first win was so cheap.
    test
  8. KNoXvillE

KNoXvillE Str8 MAjor LeAf FuNKy!

That fight was over months before it started. You were a fool to think otherwise
    test
  9. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

cheap?

there are no cheap wins in mma , brock was not ready to get caught in a heel hook or knee bar , anything with the legs

that win was legit

brock STOPPED mir this time... finished this one like he should have the last

nice thread by the way, liked the quality analysis
    test
  10. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

lol

dude called lesnar fat
    test
  11. jayoo

mir was trapped in a position brock could land shots that caused damage that's all that matters he don't have to throw a punch a second, your tellin me you've never seen a fight not get stood up with less action then that? he hit him consistently, mir got cocky an gave the im ok look then brock hit em like 5 straight times an mir was shook up watch it again.. they definitely were solid shots
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  12. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

You're on drugs. In round 1, from the 4:11 point to the 3:26 point, he threw 2 strikes. Are you f'real? Nor did he try to advance. Again, he only started punching when the fans started booing. It should've been stood up. That's 45 seconds of laying on top of a fighter and not doing anything. Again, I'm not saying it would have changed anything. Once he started working, Mir couldn't do anything
    test
  13. 3ternal

What do you call somebody being dominated the whole fight and winning in the last 10 seconds?

This ain't football or basketball where you have to score points and come from behind either.

So to be honest, combat sports have the most potential of any sport for cheap wins.

Now whether you want to call it cheap, close or wuzzle wazzle for all I care is up to you.

I'll stick with cheap though.
    test
  14. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

You can't really call it a cheap win because submissions (and actually the fight game in general) inherently rely on capitalizing on weaknesses. If you call Mir's win cheap, you also have to consider Nog beating Cro Cop, Sylvia, and Sapp cheap, or Gracie beating Kimo cheap.
    test
  15. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

False... It's not cheap when it took skill and the other person wasn't skilled. The more skilled fighter won. Brock obviously lacked submission defense and in those circumstances, he fucked up. Frank Mir, being he had better jiu-jitsu, went for a sweep which turned into a knee bar. Lesnar fucked up... It took skill.... That sweep into the knee bar was pure technique... How is that cheap? How is years of rolling on the gorund and training considered "cheap"?
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I agree with you on the most part aside from there have been "cheap" wins in MMA... The guy who nearly poked Anthony Johnson's eye out and got a KO for that was cheap as was the Crocop poking Al-Turk's eye out and getting a KO was cheap. I think Crocop was going to win that fight anyway so maybe not as cheap as the Anthony Johnson fight cuz Johnson was whoopin' du's ass and KO'ed 'em in the rematch...
    test
  17. 3ternal

LOL alright, Brock had Mir back peddling for dear life the whole fight [pus]
    test
  18. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

yes, bad ref calls definitely suck.
    test
  19. jayoo

don't think I can find a hughes match? haha brock dominated mir stop tryin to think of some bullshit loophole excuse, fact is that position alone swole mir whole face and set the precedent of the fight
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  20. jayoo

ok didn't read end of your post but I ain't gonna edit, oh and a last minute sub isn't cheap, think of gracie vs kimo, its not cheap because gracie spent his life on bjj he's not a striker, just because he was losing based on strikes doesn't mean shit, mma is about every mixed martial art, if you come in like tyson with no ground skills an get subbed in the end you lost a fair match you know what mma encompasses goin into it.... if your underprepared then you lost on your own
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.