I have $8000 to put towards a car. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by GreenGiant, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenGiant

GreenGiant 1995aBeat.com

I have $8000 to put towards a car. Any recommendations?
    test
  2. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

VR-4

you will not regret it... good @ everything... traction (awd), speed (320hp), future mods (just up the boost or change the turbos), looks, and they hold their value (99's still sell for 30k plus...)

but hey, that's me. tha'd be my pick, but for 8g's theirs a shitload of cars u can get
    test
  3. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

Ummm, definitely do not get a VR-4. Obviously dumb-fuck richey has mommy and daddy to support him. Not only are they extremely fidgety and unreliable cars, but insurance (i'm assuming you are a young guy) is a BITCH! Also, maintaining a turbo car, especially a piece of shit mitsubishit, can get quite expensive.

You haven't really listed any criteria for what you are looking for as far as looks, speed, planned mods, function, etc. If I had 8 grand to splurge on something right now, I'd go for an R1, but I'm biased, lol. List some criteria for what you are looking for and you'll get soem more help.
    test
  4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant 1995aBeat.com

well, I mainly want to get a vehicle that is reliable. I'll be honest and say I dont know very much about cars, so I don't think I'll be doing any performance mods to it. I'd also like to get something that is fairly compact. I'm kinda into hatchbacks. lol. any suggestions?
    test
  5. SEIK

SEIK New Member

A 1970 Hemi cuda or an old skool Challenger
    test
  6. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

If you like hatches, get a GTI...

Only problem is parts are expensive, but they're built well.
    test
  7. GreenGiant

GreenGiant 1995aBeat.com

How does a GTI compare with a Golf as far as reliability is concerned?
    test
  8. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

GTI = sport version of Golf, you can choose between a 1.8t or a v6 engine

don't know much about reliability, but i think they're about the same... the 1.8t is probably less reliable

ask Tigre about gti's
    test
  9. GreenGiant

GreenGiant 1995aBeat.com

oh yeah, one more thing. what do you guys think about the mazda3 hatchback?
    test
  10. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

1.8t is consistently on the best engine list year in and year out. The engine is bulletproof, now the car is not..lol. THe reliability is ehhh at best. They have been slipping, mostly the biggest problem that fucked them up was the recall of all 1.8t's and 2.0 models for bad coil packs. Fucking VWOA trying to put cheap shit in the car and that is what happens. Besides that, the car is fine. No other reliability issues, besides the window regulator which has been taking care of.

1.8t's can be low 13's with the STOCK TURBO. With minor mods like a turboback, and chip and you can get a low 14's no problem.

What else, the golf is shit unless u get the TDI, cause the 2.0 is garbage. If you want anymore ask, Slave, he owns one as of now. He can tell you the ins and outs of it.

Also, the new mazda 3 hatch is a nice lil ride for the money. Anything for that money area I would choose a Mini S, If I were in the market for something around that price.
    test
  11. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

One more question, when you say "put towards any car", does that mean it is a down payment, and you intend on financing part of the car, or is 8 grand the max you can spend on it?
    test
  12. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

Honda... End Of Story :)
    test
  13. SEIK

SEIK New Member

whatever you get you should get an older make ... 98 or below... and save enough money to fix it up a bit! Paint, parts, rims, stereo etc...
    test
  14. GreenGiant

GreenGiant 1995aBeat.com

I'd like to keep the entire cost under $8000.
    test
  15. Mellow Madness

Hondaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    test
  16. SlaveNameIsBob

SlaveNameIsBob Massa luvs me

Yep honda civic
    Acura integra
    Reliable, compact, and in your price range.
    test
  17. SlaveNameIsBob

SlaveNameIsBob Massa luvs me

I have a gti, actually have owned 3. 2 project cars, and one as my daily driving bitch. And if concerned about reliability don't buy this car. I am very hands on with this car so I know what to worry about and what to fix if it breaks. Only big concern about the car was the window regulators and coil packs like Tigre said. Both have been taken care of.

Also, if 8g's is your limit then that means a used 96-98 is what you might be looking at. If so, electrical problems were a issue then, although I never had a problem with mine. Also get a vr6 if you choose a GTI below the year of 99, otherwise I would suggest a 1.8t.
    test
  18. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

I'd see if you can't find a GS-R in that range. Very reliable, classic, quick car. You say that you are uninterested in modding it now, but you'll get bit by the bug...The GS-R has a huge aftermarket and parts are very cheap.
    test
  19. GreenGiant

GreenGiant 1995aBeat.com

The GS-R is an integra, right? I looked at a few and they seem to be pretty nice cars. How reliable would one be compared to a VW Golf?
    test
  20. Mellow Madness

i just want the b18c1 gsr engine.. thats what i'm saving for now :) yay
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.