I had an argument today..related to Alicia Keys

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Teen Prodigy, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

That's not saying much though.

There aren't as many female artists with product lately.
    test
  2. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Did anybody else hear Deborah Cox's album this year? Very good.
    I prefered the Amy Winehouse & Joss Stone albums to this new A. Keys, Chrisette Michele was pretty good too, and Alice Smith put out a quality album last year. I think the females doing alright.
    test
  3. Ixtlan

Chrisette Michele...

There's one.
    test
  4. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

I'm not really a huge fan, but I can say that Keys has made some of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

"No One" is annoying as hell and you can't escape it.

"You Don't know My Name", "Like You'll Never See Me Again" "If I Ain't Got You" are very beautiful songs.

Her songs are always good. While she may not excel in any one category, the sum of her parts adds up to more than most artists.
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^Great final statement... you just need to agree with me more often and then you'll be good.
    test
  6. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

you can't do that though....just like putting Chaka Khan out right now....just doesn't sound right (Funk This....shit was horrible....way below middle of the pack now)

70's had different circumstances than now, different things were happening in society, a lot less technology etc. etc.

every generation has their great artists....This decade got their Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild,, NeYo, Keyshia Cole, Ciara, Chris Brown maybe...Chrisette Michelle is comin up so is Corinne Bailey Rae....etc
    90's had Mary J. Blige, Usher, Aaliyah, R. Kelly,Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, SWV, Boyz II Men etc.
    80's had Sade, Gap Band, SOS Band, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, etc

I like Alicia Keys...I wouldn't call myself a fan but she has some serious jams and she only has three albums. Her voice is unique....she sounds like no other, she produces and writes her own music and people like her music, she plays instruments (piano and probably some more shit), she's a great live performer, she is beautiful and classy and humble and all the good qualities. What more do you want?

Most of the singers from the 70's had a band....Alicia Keys is the band. And don't act like every single song a 70's artist made was a classic.....they had dud songs back then too

It sounds like I'm riding her but I'm not....she is a great artist and just because she is releasing music in the 2000's doesn't make her any less great. the new album is her best most consistent cd to date...and you forget she only has three albums...what was it a ten album minimum in the 70s?

Give credit where it's due. Alicia Keys and Beyonce have ruled this decade simple as that.
    test
  7. Ixtlan

I hate having to settle though...
    And I think that's what I'd be doing to say that.

That simply doesn't count for much in my book.
    Because right now the talent pool is dangerously shallow.

I'll just keep rocking Jazmine Sullivan until she breaksthrough and smashes all these chicks' heads open.
    test
  8. Ixtlan

Mary J. Blige's name doesn't belong in that category.
    Neither does Musiq's. They've distinguished themselves far beyond any ten-year span.

I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed.
    Mary J. Blige's career legacy dwarfs them both.
    test
  9. Teen Prodigy

Teen Prodigy Short2003's e-child

Alright, I grant you that most of these things are true.
    My problem is less with Alicia Keys, and more with the way her fans view her music, that's all. I take very little away from Alicia as an artist, but the people who LOVE her and think she is an extraordinary musical beacon......sometimes I think they are misguided in the praise they give her, that's all.

Oh.... and Alicia has a band, too. Just because she plays the piano doesn't mean she "is the band". She has other intstruments behind her, and very good back up singers behind her, just like anyone else.
    test
  10. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Any idea when she's actually gonna drop an album?
    test
  11. Jansinnet

Jansinnet New Member

She is not an exeptional talent in any area. But she is enjoyable watch & here sing.
    I have her new cd & I love it.
    test
  12. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

those times are only when they came out (meaning their debut album) giving that generation the right to "claim that talent"

Mary J. Blige ( my all time favorite btw) has been out for 15 years with bout ten albums or whatever (including Live, greatest, remix albums). I "grew up" on Mary J. Blige. She is the best no matter what...doesn't mean Alicia Keys isn't doing her thing/isn't talented/ isn't an icon for her generation along with Beyonce and Ciara. This generation has their artists that they cling to just as I will cling to MJB forever and always.

beyonce dropped her first solo 4 years ago and has two albums
    alicia keys dropped her first album in 2001...she has three albums
    you don't see these two still going strong a decade from now barring a horrible tragedy? These two could easily have Mary esque careers.
    test
  13. Ixtlan

No idea, but the leaks... They've all been FRESH.
    test
  14. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

Speaking for myself....I don't knock her because she came out in 2000....I don't listen to music as in years at all. However...I feel she is slightly, if not highly overrated, because there aren't many other artists this decade who've been soulful or even at her level. I won't even say "put her in the 70s and see how she fares"...but aside from her, and a few of the neo-soul artists, the majority of singers to come out and blow up have been completely commercial R&B and almost rap styled artists, and her music just stands out with all the garbage it gets played inbetween.
    test
  15. Ixtlan

You can't make a distinction like that.
    Keys and Blige are same-gen artists.

And I don't know that Keys is an icon yet.
    She's certainly making her case though...

Beyonce doesn't have much career-defining material let me tell it.
    Keys makes a much more compelling argument.

Beyonce could conceivably be around the music business 20 years from now.
    Longevity might make her iconic. Currently her catalog doesn't.
    test
  16. Vanessa1

Vanessa1 New Member

A. Keys is mad overrated.
    test
  17. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

Nah, that's her straining LOL. And to me Keshie, overdoes it. You gotta find a balance with that shit.. sometimes its not even called for. Like on that song let it go.. At the end after missy's verse.. all that screaming and shit.. was uncalled for and unattractive, musicially
    test
  18. DALLAS BLOCKER

DALLAS BLOCKER New Member

Dallas Blocker

I Feel That In Todays Time Any Artist That Is A Real Talent And Sales Is Making A Big Statement. If Your Not Doing Dance Music Its Very Hard.
    Check Out Dallas Blocker Myspace.com/dallasblocker
    See What U Think About This.... It Makes U Feel Again

Myspace.com/dallasblocker
    test
  19. Langford

Langford New Member

test
  20. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

i dont know what y'all are listening to, but she is the definition of greatness.

[youtube]AB5Eej619ZE[/youtube]

aint nothing overrated about that
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.