I Don't Think a Lot of You Realize how Important a Rapper's Delivery is..

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Murder Ink, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

A rapper's delivery is hands down, the most important quality needed if he or she wants to be successful. By delivery, I mean HOW a rapper spits their words..HOW a rapper manipulates their voice to their advantage..your style, if you will..

[youtube]nm_rtM2HgI4[/youtube]

Schoolboy's delivery is especially impressive. What he's saying isn't very lyrical at all..albeit not wack, but nothing special. Yet the way he says it makes it SOUND much better..the same can be said about A$ap Rocky too.

[youtube]3AXUJFBqgYE[/youtube]

You can hate on Wayne all you guys want..but the nigga has one of the most exemplary deliveries in rap history. This nigga blew up out of nowhere from Carter 2 to Carter 3 because he COMPLETELY changed up his style. He constantly changed his voice and flow up..says things differently, etc. All that shit makes you more interesting to listen to, and his success owes a lot to it, imo.

Think about the niggas who blow and the ones who don't..

The only reason Wiz is big is because he has a weird voice. He's this generations Snoop, plain and simple. Speaking of Snoop, that nigga's lyrics are trash most of the time, but his style and the way he spits his words makes him listenable. Tyga's famous because he copied Wayne's style, which is extremely successful. Meek Mill is popular because of the energy he puts into his voice..not his lyrics. 2chainz is famous because he raps like a retard. lol Danny Brown is getting buzz because he raps in a weird ass voice..but it makes anything he spits catchy and compelling as fuck:

[youtube]NHfWY0is3rE[/youtube]

That being said, lyrics will preserve your longevity..but delivery is all you need in order to make a smash hit. This is why shit like Rack City, Crank That, and Hustlin has been popular. But artists like Biggie, Outkast, 2pac, etc, all stand the test of time because they have good lyrics AND good delivery..this is the exact reason why I think Kendrick will be a force to be reckoned with in due time.

Think about it..it applies even in the underground. Vinnie Paz, Slug, and Tech N9ne are some of the biggest underground rappers..not just because of their good lyrics, but because their deliveries are unique as fuck. It separates you from the pack..

Judging by a lot of people's posts on here, a lot of you guys don't seem to get this..soo this is just my two cents..

sotechnical
    test
  2. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN proper weaponry

Agreed.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Flow/Delivery/Voice ---> #1 requirement for listen-ability for me, if you will.

Anybody can talk over a beat... but can you RAP?

Can you present your voice in a fashion that is appealing and musical?

People who don't really appreciate the art of rap music will minimize it and simply call it talking over a beat, but it's more to it than that... like this woman at my job said "rappin' is easy because Samuel L. Jackson and Spike Lee was able to do it on the BET Awards"... yeah, they were rappin', but they were wack in a pure MC sense because their flows were wack... they were TALKING, not rappin'.

Some people try to sing, but don't sound well because they either can't hold a note or they have shitty voices... or they have no range.

Range, breath control, sound of voice, etc. are just as important in rappin' as they are in singing to me.

Because it's all music... and music is supposed to sound good.
    test
  4. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

But Schoolboy Q's delivery is average. Come on.

You wanna talk great delivery?

Pharoahe Monch.
    test
  5. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

RZA has one of the sickest deliveries of all time.
    test
  6. the rhyme king

the rhyme king the rhyme king

and syllable count has nothing to do with multis

it's just rhyming not multisyllable flowing this is a 5 star thread and + rep
    test
  7. the rhyme king

no he don't stop trolling:bwahaha:
    test
  8. ThatsNotMyName

RZA nice but come on. Method, GZA, Ghostface, ODB all them have better deliveries.
    test
  9. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

The way he enunciates everything... just unique as hell.
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Delivery is definitely the most important aspect of rapping... I wouldn't use wayne as the best example...

Eminem before 2009 was probably the most perfect MC ever as far as delivery, mainly because he could do so many things at once and please so many different rap fans. Dude could rap with aggression, or rap calm, stay perfectly on beat, and use multi syllables without sounding forced.
    test
  11. ThatsNotMyName

Eminem lyrically still rhymes as he used to. But his delivery and voice changed completely.

That's why nobody likes him anymore, so yeah... delivery>.
    test
  12. the rhyme king

lmao.
    test
  13. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

no he doesn't. Recovery and Bad Meets Evil 2 were the first times in Eminem's career where he wasn't a beast lyrically. Its when he started biting lil wayne with those awful garbage punchlines like, stick my dick in a circle I'm not fuckin around.
    test
  14. the rhyme king

his rhyming is stll incredible his devliery and content has changed.
    test
  15. ThatsNotMyName

Well yeah he ain't as good as he used to be lyrically, but from time to time he aight...

"I'll be a terrible magician... cause I'll fuck a trick up" :lol:
    test
  16. the rhyme king

yea that was wack imo lyrically.
    test
  17. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

mak hears verses in morse code
    test
  18. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

Co-MOTHERFUCKING-sign.

How is it average? He raps so natural and conversationally. The way he spits makes his shit sound like what he'd say in everyday life..at least to me.

To me, a rapper has a great delivery when they spit in a conversational way..which is to say that they rap similar to how they'd be in everyday conversation. Not directed at you, but it's not about how many multisyllabic words you can coin together with a lifeless flow or how intricately you structure your bars..that's why a simple ass rapper sounds better who emphasizes his rhyming words in a retard voice sounds better than your "super lyrical" textcee who has no energy or passion in his bars. It's about just listening to the beat and writing what feels natural..and sounding as natural and confident as possible.

I'm not really into Monch either, but he's def dope with it. We all know he's ill though, so I thought I'd shed light on a lesser known artist..
    test
  19. ThatsNotMyName

I only heard Schoolboy on that Hands On The Wheel and he just wasn't that impressive as rappers that really have great deliveries like Monch, Ghostface, or even DMX.

Then on that song Unnecesary... Gambino and Ab-Soul's verse were better, delivery-wise.
    test
  20. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

Hell yes he does..RZA has one of the most unique deliveries everr. Him, ODB, Aesop Rock, and Danny Brown. lol

Mann you HAVE to admit that the way he spits makes his shit sound more catchy and interesting homie. That shit's undeniable. I like Wayne, but I can understand why someone wouldn't..but you can't hate on his skill in that area. And yes Em is definitely one o the best..could infuse humor, anger, and sadness in his bars while switching up his flow fluidly, with ease..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.