I can't seem to make a loop

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Virginian Gent, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virginian Gent

Virginian Gent East Coast Bastard

Before I get flamed, I want to point out that everybody has to start from somewhere. I am very new at music production and am trying to learn.

Let's say I want to sample a part of a song. I record the music into a program like Edison on FL Studio. Now, I know the part that I want to sample. I set it within the markers and trim the rest of it. Or at least I think I'm doing it.

When I try to loop it, the rhythm is off. There's a sudden jarring break at the start of the loop. Clearly I'm not trimming it right but how can I tell?

I guess this is an intuitive thing but I'm sure I can learn. It's not like I'm lacking in rhythm since I obviously recognize the problem.
    test
  2. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

so what are you asking exactly? I mean FL does the work for you I am not sure how you can mess it up. Not flaming really asking what you did wrong. Its really just a matter of counting bars
    test
  3. Virginian Gent

How do you count bars? I'm obviously doing something wrong.
    test
  4. Virginian Gent

Okay look, let's say I use Freddie Jackson's Love is Just a Touch Away as an example.

YouTube - Freddie Jackson "Love Is Just A Touch Away"

:03 to :~14.5 is the sample. Right when the 'beat drops' to when Freddie starts singing. That's 8 counts.

I count... 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4... set my markers but when I try to loop it, instead of

1..2..3..4..1..2..3..4..1..2..etc.

it goes like this:

1..2..3..4..1..2..3..4terriblejump1..2..

How do you know where to place the markers perfectly so that the transition is seamless? I see tutorials on youtube where people are more focused on showing how to use samples in various programs like FL Studio, Reason, etc. but the people making the tutorials just very quickly and seemingly intuitively know how to set their points so the sample loops seamlessly.

Like I watch it. They just play the song through, instantly mark off the beginning and the end and it works. I watched one guy place his end marker then before it even looped once, he knew he had the beginning slightly wrong and moved the beginning marker a little earlier and when the transition came, it happened seamlessly.

I'm asking how? They do it so effortlessly but how?
    test
  5. Virginian Gent

Like I watch this from warbeats... see what NFX does right at 4:03-4:30. He does it in 25 seconds.

YouTube - FL Studio - Using Edison to Chop - Warbeats Tutorial

I can count the bars. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4. Right where he says the end of the loop is is the same place I got it at. It's like half a count before the first count and then he has another half a count remaining after the second 4.

Is that right?

I try to do the same thing with the Freddie Jackson sample I mentioned earlier and it's not seamless. There's a jarring break at the transition.
    test
  6. Virginian Gent

Okay I made a screen capture video of me doing it. It's a little over a minute, so I'd appreciate the time to watch it.

YouTube - loop problem

As you can see, I already set the markers at each snare. That's the same as each count of the beat right? I play it through one time so you can confirm for me that the markers are at the right spaces for each count.

I then select only the parts for the loop. I zoom in to make sure I get the first snare right as it starts and the last snare right before it starts.

I play it through one time. Everything sounds right, right?

Play it through a third time this time with loop on... Do you hear that nasty 'bump' at the transition between the end and the start? The rhythm gets thrown off. Close your eyes and listen through and you can tell exactly where the sample ended and the loop starts.

It's not seamless.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks
    test
  7. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Ok, you're out mark is just too soon... you have to remember that a lot of these beats weren't recorded glued to the metronome.. I could be of more use to you in telling you how to do it in reason, or pro tools, but it's essentially all the same.. keep nudging that end marker out.. the snare is coming back in early. It helps to zoom in A LOT until you can really see where the transient is..

here's the next problem you'll run into.. you might selct a 4 bar loop knowing it's exactly four bars.. set the tempo that you belive it to be.. it loops good a couple times and the next thing you know it's off beat.. a lot of the songs made then don't have a fixed tempo.. they play it loose to give it a more realistic and less sterile feel.. so sometimes you'll have to time stretch your sample to glue it to the tempo so that it loops propperly..

Make sure your marker isn't snapping to a grid if the sample isn't tied to the tempo.. that last snare may be hitting late.. this is where time stretching would come in..

for example.. in reason let's say I've got a four bar loop and I dial it in.. then when I drop it in reason I find that the loop ends slightly before or slightly after the end of the loop at the nearest matching tempo.. all I have to do his hold down option on the keyboard and then drag it to the end of the loop.. sometimes you may have to literally move hits in the middle of the sample to conform them to your tempo.. elastic audio in pro tools is great for this and you can do it with beat detective, or just do it manually with warp markers..

so in your case basically, your loop is just ending too soon.. like I say.. make sure it's not locking to the grid and zoom in on that second snare until your marker is right on it.. also make sure your beginning marker is right on the first one.. and you'll be good to go.. if you need more help you can email me at roushy1@gmail.com

best of luck.. we all do have to start somewhere.. you'll get there.
    test
  8. Virginian Gent

Wow. Thanks, Roush!

I zoomed in all the way and got the markers right on the snares. Started up the loop and perfect. Thanks.
    test
  9. DZK

DZK DZKonline.net

This is a quick fix. You need to learn how to count bars, find somebody locally who can do it and show you, or I will do it on skype for you and show you. I can teach you how to count bars in 10-2o min
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.