I can't mix - check the sample and critique please....

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Re-iLL, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re-iLL

Re-iLL Basmentality...

test
  2. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Guest

from what I hear

- EQ, you need more high frequencies, and less lows, your vocals now sound kind of muffled
    - Compress it, dont be affraid to compress it HARD, threshold -20db, fast attack, fast release, ratio 5:1 / 8:1, and make up gain to a point where the vocals stand out in the track. They are also to soft in this song, and the beat is taking over.

try that and see how much of a difference it makes.
    Take time on the EQ'ing part, because it will take some time before you find the right balance

GL
    test
  3. Re-iLL

Re-iLL Basmentality...

good looking out, where would you start when you say fast attack and fast release? Also what frequency range should i be focussing on...i feel like when I boost I get a harsh sound and a lot of siblance. I just need a reference point so I can start playing around with it.

Thanks a lot!
    test
  4. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Guest

just set attack to fast as possible, same with release, just make sure the release time is longer then the attack time.

when you eq the highs, and it becomes harsh and you get sibilance, that just means your boosting too much.
    try boosting no more then 2db, see how that works.
    add a high pass filter to get rid of the lows, maybe set it around 150hz and adjust to your likings afterwards. with the lows gone there will automatically be more focus on the highs and mids. Also remember that highs dont have to 16k and up. try boosting around 6 or 7k.

a trick here is too take a band, boost it maybe 10db and sweep thru the range, to find the frequency thats related to the brightness of the signal. of course10db is too much, so just reduce your boost to 1 or 2 db.

mess around with that and you'll notice improvements pretty fast
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  5. Re-iLL

Re-iLL Basmentality...

appreciate the advice....I will def play around with it.

feel free to attempt a mix if you want
    zSHARE - Once u Fall.zip

Any advice for reverb or echos?

What about the chain? Should I start with compression then eq or vice versa?

Thanks for the help!
    test
  6. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Guest

reverb and echo's are personal preference.

Listen to song you like and try to listen to the reverb, notice small details like, how thick the reverb is, how big is the reverb, how long etc...

That way, when you add it to your own vocals, you know what to add.

your chain should also be to your liking.

Usually on vocals my chain is like this

Corrective EQ --> Compression --> Enhancement EQ

corrective EQ = eq'ing to correct errors
    Compression = speaks for itself really
    Enhancement EQ = eq'ing to bring back certain frequencies that got "damaged" in the compresing stage.
    test
  7. Re-iLL

Re-iLL Basmentality...

many thanks!
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I think your main issue was your not cutting enough frequencies and not compressing enough. The beat has too many unnecessary frequencies that don't need to be there and it's fighting with the vocals. On top of that, you didn't compress enough and your mic isn't all that great. When you record, stop blasting the headphones too because when you compress, it can put excess garbage in your mix. Or you can get better headphones so the sound doesn't leak.

I downloaded your files and did a quick mix. I'm not a pro or anything but I think it sounds better. Check it out and let me know what you think.

zSHARE - mix.mp3

Here's a second quick mix I did with a different compressor to make it sound more full. I dunno which style you want more... The clean cut one or the one with more presence but a 'lil dirtier.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7306316035cef8f0/
    test
  9. Re-iLL

Re-iLL Basmentality...

^^^ thanks for the advice. I actually have a great mic, baby blue bottle mic, i just couldn't bring the rest of my equipment with me (focusrite pre-amp, compressor, eq) so i'm stuck with the mic, crappy headphones and a mobile pre. I suspect the mobile pre just isn't cutting it as a pre-amp. I used to get great quality with my mic when i had everything else.

If you could drop the settings and processes you used, that would be great, it could be a great starting point for anything else i mix.

Thanks again for the help!
    test
  10. Degenerate One

Degenerate One Noe Nose Touching

that crash is unbearable, otherwise the beats fresh, just needs some mixing
    test
  11. soundbetter

soundbetter New Member

What monitors are you using?
    test
  12. Re-iLL

Re-iLL Basmentality...

test
  13. Drschmalzy

Drschmalzy Active Member

word.... at G.I...

idk what progrram u workin on but you defintely wanna cut the lows all the subharmonics up to like idk 40hz say...

compression all depends on song and a million other things but start at like a 3:1-4:1 ratio, a fast attack 1ms or as fast as possible, and release maybe 10ms-60ms dependin how fast you rap and acouple other reasons... I usually use a soft knee on vocals... all depends... and the threshold thats tricky, if ur recording ur vocal tracks and there just under 0.0 on the level try like a -8,-10.... shit i mean you can't really explain that it has tot sound good to ur ear it could be a -20 threshold or -40 all depends how loud you spittin...

a good tip for mixing with whatever speakers you have is to a and b the mixes of ur favorite sounding track and try to get the levels to match with that... do it multiple times iwth other cds... try ur mix in the car, in the stereo speakers, in the tv, on the mac, on ipphones.... if u find a mix that be soundin straight on all them then u know ur mix be genius....

kinda mumblin on but my process be the same as G.I's... pretty much... except for settings... i like usuing delays but then you need to find the tempo of track to set it properlylll which is easy but alright....
    test
  14. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Seems to be a lot of good advice for you here already, so I'll try not to beat a dead horse, but I didn't read every reply, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything..

It's a little hard to say that better compression and eq alone will fix this.. it's kind of on the threshold by my ear.. I'm curious if your levels were hot enough when you recorded this to begin with.. You shouldn't have to push a compressor hard.. don't be afraid to at all.. it's just you shouldn't have to.. the level is equally as important as make-up gain.. a lot of engineers refuse to use make up gain and prefer to record the level a little hotter instead.. I do both.. One very specific thing that I believe has been mentioned.. roll off the low end frequencies of every vocal.. the unused frequencies especially.. that's where hum and mud live.. That is the one thing EQ wise that you should be doing every time..

I also wonder about the space you're recording in.. are you recording in a tight room with dead air.. no natural reverb? It almost sounds like some really tight natural reverb exists there from the original recordings.. maybe not, but you can never spend to much time getting the room right.. the mic right.. the level right.. then the monitors right..

Not the worst I've heard.. not even close.. song is decent too..
    test
  15. Re-iLL

Re-iLL Basmentality...

^^^ Thanks for the advice.

As for the room, I think that might be my biggest problem. I"m recording in a room with a lot of natural reverb, it's only 10x12 but one wall is a giant window and another wall is covered in mirrors....haha...not ideal. I'm going to try a few things out with the room, maybe record in a corner or in a closet.

Thanks again!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.