Hustle & Flow

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by cyphamasta, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyphamasta

cyphamasta New Member

very ill movie. it reminds you that it ain't easy trying to get into the rap game.

anyone else seen it? what are your thoughts?
    test
  2. mama21

mama21 panama-red@blackplanet

i liked it.it was pretty descent as far as how realistic it was with people aubsing one another. also showing how taking charge of your life not waiting for someone else to pull it off for you, that's what i got out of it.it was a damn good movie.
    test
  3. Alphabet

Alphabet Soup

Whoop That Trick=Hottest Movie Song EVER
    test
  4. KnightMere

KnightMere KnightMere

ythat movie was tight as hell and yea i love whoop dat trick
    test
  5. !ron HorSe

!ron HorSe New Member

I might go see it.
    test
  6. kaveh

kaveh New Member

yeh i heard it was pretty good, ima go see it soon
    test
  7. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

It was better than I expected. That said, it isn't something I'd ever want to watch again.
    The film had no depth to it. Everything centered around DJay's meeting with Skinny Black. And even the way that unfolded was at best disappointing.

Singleton needs better plots.
    test
  8. Ixtlan

Terrence Howard has to be more selective.
    He's a talented actor who could easily handicap himself in Tinsel Town by taking bad roles.
    test
  9. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

i'm not at all interested in seeing this movie.
    test
  10. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

The movie was aight. They made us Memphis folk sound so damn country though man. I was sitting up in the theater like damn that nicca sound like he from the pits of Mississippi somewhere and shit.

The whole time dude was talking about he was from North Memphis but everything in the movie was in South Memphis. Them houses he was staying in looked like some North Memphis shit though
    test
  11. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

The whole meeting with Skinny Black and the end was just awful, but the movie was enjoyable.

Terrence Howard was solid, though.
    test
  12. mistamystery

mistamystery New Member

The main character...I forget his name...doesn't seem like a guy who could play a rapper. he doesn't even look like a rapper in the previews that I've seen so far but since it's gettin such good reviews on a hip hop site I guess I'll check it out eventually.
    test
  13. Pranksta

Pranksta New Member

terrance howard has become one of my favorite actors

this movie exceeding my expectations.
    test
  14. Ixtlan

It certainly exceeded my expectations, but they were painfully low so I'm not sure that that says much about the quality of the film.
    test
  15. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

People got it all twisted... it wasn't Singleton's movie... he simply financed and produced it. Some white guy named Calvin-something created and directed it... it was his b r a i n c h i l d (why is that word edited??). The big studios wouldn't give him any money or support because the main character was a pimp, so he went to Singleton for support.

The writing was kinda poor, but I dug Howard's and Henson's performances. She's probably the first black female "method actress" I've seen... she actually outshoned Howard to me... she ripped "Baby Boy" and now "Hustle and Flow." And I love her, she's beautiful.

Anthony Andersen and Ludacris weren't bad, either. Andersen has shown great potential for dramatic roles... he should stick to that instead of comedy, because he's not that funny.

I'd watch it again simply for the intense performance from Howard and the nuanced, methodic portrayal from Henson.
    test
  16. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

See, I don't get that... how does a rapper look?

Is the required uniform FUBU, Enyce, bandannas, ball caps, Timbs and Air Force Ones?

So I guess Mos Def, Common and J-Live don't look like rappers either.
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Funny, too... being that the only Memphis native in the movie, Elise Neal, didn't sound like any of the other characters... she was all proper and high class... and she was WEARING that tight, pink shirt, too... but still nobody was fuckin' wit Taraji Henson... she's a dime!!
    test
  18. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

He originally turned it down a couple of times, but once he read the script, he dug it... I guess he found some depth to it.

The movie didn't necessarily glorify a pimp's lifestyle as it did depict it... he felt trapped and didn't like doing what he was doing, so rap music was his way out... the writing didn't communicate this conflict as effectively as it could have, but it wasn't horrible, either. It could've been more "poetic," more "complex,"... but it was straight-forward and served its purpose.
    test
  19. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

My cousin went to High School with Elise, that woman is so damn fine. But Elise Neal wasn't the only Memphis native in the movie. There were Memphis natives all in the movie mostly rappers though. Issac Hayes is a Memphis native and the dude in the store where Terrance Howard character met Anthony Anderson is from Memphis. He's in some group called Saliva that's here from Memphis.

But yeah John Singleston didn't make this movie like you said. He just signed on as a producer. He was like the only person who gave the writer/director Craig Brewer a chance....he is also from Memphis.

So yeah there were Memphis Natives all over the film.
    test
  20. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

i went against my better judgement, on the strength of good reviews from critics i respect, and i actually enjoyed it, though i think it must have been a slow year at sundance for this to be have caused such a stir. an uplifting, positive movie that is not over-the-top saccharine is a rarity these, but it works here. the scenes where they are going through the creative process are by far the most interesting.

it was an interesting contrast watching this right after watching march of the penguins
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.