Huge Asteroid on course to hit NY Nasa says : PRAY

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Large asteroid heading to Earth? Pray, says NASA

[​IMG]

By Irene Klotz

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - NASA chief Charles Bolden has advice on how to handle a large asteroid headed toward New York City: Pray.

That's about all the United States - or anyone for that matter - could do at this point about unknown asteroids and meteors that may be on a collision course with Earth, Bolden told lawmakers at a U.S. House of Representatives Science Committee hearing on Tuesday.

An asteroid estimated to be have been about 55 feet in diameter exploded on February 15 over Chelyabinsk, Russia, generating shock waves that shattered windows and damaged buildings. More than 1,500 people were injured.

Later that day, a larger, unrelated asteroid discovered last year passed about 17,200 miles from Earth, closer than the network of television and weather satellites that ring the planet.

The events "serve as evidence that we live in an active solar system with potentially hazardous objects passing through our neighborhood with surprising frequency," said Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson, a Texas Democrat.

"We were fortunate that the events of last month were simply an interesting coincidence rather than a catastrophe," said Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican, who called the hearing to learn what is being done and how much money is needed to better protect the planet.

NASA has found and is tracking about 95 percent of the largest objects flying near Earth, those that are .62 miles or larger in diameter.

"An asteroid of that size, a kilometer or bigger, could plausibly end civilization," White House science advisor John Holdren told legislators at the same hearing.

But only about 10 percent of an estimated 10,000 potential "city-killer" asteroids, those with a diameter of about 165 feet have been found, Holdren added.

On average, objects of that size are estimated to hit Earth about once every 1,000 years.

"From the information we have, we don't know of an asteroid that will threaten the population of the United States," Bolden said. "But if it's coming in three weeks, pray."

In addition to stepping up its monitoring efforts and building international partnerships, NASA is looking at developing technologies to divert an object that may be on a collision course with Earth.

"The odds of a near-Earth object strike causing massive casualties and destruction of infrastructure are very small, but the potential consequences of such an event are so large it makes sense to takes the risk seriously," Holdren said.

About 66 million years ago, an object 6 miles in diameter is believed to have smashed into what is now the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, leading to the demise of the dinosaurs, as well as most plant and animal life on Earth.

The asteroid that exploded over Russia last month was the largest object to hit Earth's atmosphere since the 1908 Tunguska event when an asteroid or comet exploded over Siberia, leveling 80 million trees over more than 830 square miles (2,150 sq km).
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

so this is fear mongering or someshit cuz the title says ones gonna hit NY yet the article mentions nothing of such an event. Only mentions one could hit earth in the real title...

there not even links to where we could read on what the title is talking about

and if you read the article the guy even says currently they don't know of one threatening the US

wtf
    test
  3. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

misleading title. there's no asteroid. they're just saying if there was then we couldn't do shit about it.
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

something tells me he didn't even read his own article
    test
  5. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

It's not an asteroid. It's a chip.

It's headed straight for your shoulder.
    test
  6. Envy

Envy Song Writer / Artist.

So, title says asteroid is due to hit NYC.

article talks about nothing to do with asteroid going to hit NYC.

Good job.
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

haha this thread sucks
    test
  8. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

I can pick on so much, but I'll pick on this.

Something with very low odds of happening, but if it does, will have devastating consequences. The logic here is that because of the consequences, despite the low odds, it should be taken seriously.

Well, okay then. The odds of me running up and killing every single member of this website are equally slim to none. But if it were to happen, that would be truly devastating. There are enough people here to fill up a city, right?

So logically, everyone needs to donate ten bucks into my paypal account, or else you all get slaughtered. Right?
    test
  9. TheBigPayback

Haha. that one made me chuckle.
    test
  10. TheBigPayback

Im pretty sure what the article and nasa is getting at is
    that right now, there would be nothing we could do ourselves to stop even a small asteroid from hitting earth. And seeing as though weve been seeing a lot of activity lately if one decides to veer on course anytine soon we are fucked.
    test
  11. Ass Napkin Ed

Ass Napkin Ed DC - 19th & Benning Rd

I get it
    Scare tactic for us all to get down to the nearest church, grab a bible, and start praying
    test
  12. Katastrofik

Katastrofik THE SOUND OF L.I

Why not use the same technology that U.S. uses to deflect missles
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah if you read the article

this thread title is highly misleading and false
    test
  14. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i think deflecting a meteor would take a massive force and blowing it up would just rain the remaining debris down on earth.
    test
  15. TheBigPayback

Oh boo hoo
    test
  16. x calibur

x calibur

asteroids are always a danger. low risk/high consequence does in fact justify preventative methods, especially when there's a proven track record. for example, shooting sprees don't happen often, but cops should be prepared to respond just in case.

it's known that asteroids have hit the earth, and that some of those impact events would cause enormous damage today. a significant impact is unlikely in the near future, but it's almost certain to happen eventually. whether that's in 10 years or in 10,000 years is unknown, but it's always a possibility.

it's definitely worthwhile to track asteroids and comets. not only will this defend us against a disaster, but it will also assist in related astronomical research.

if an impact could be predicted early enough, it's possible that a nuclear missile could nudge the asteroid into a safe trajectory.
    test
  17. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

X-Cali, please close this thread for being utter bullshit.
    test
  18. TheBigPayback

Go cry to yahoo news
    test
  19. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

i'd rather cry to the idiot who somehow decided an article that says theres no way to predict a small asteroid somehow says there is one on course to hit NY.
    test
  20. TheBigPayback

Lol. sorry did u shit ur pants when u read that.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.