How To Record Hip Hop Vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by blitz204, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

What's good?

I found this article to be very helpful so I decided to share it with you!

~~~

This is about hip hop vocals, can be used for other genres, but other FX would often come into play.

You end up with about 8 tracks. Any FX should be applied in light amounts barely noticeable without headphones or top of the line monitors(about 5-10% wetness).

Track 1 - Beat - stereo / no panning / fx : compression, eq if needed

Track 2 - Lead Vocals - mono / pan 10% left / fx : delay(optional) If more than one rapper is on the song, use automation to keep all the artists at close to the same volume.

Track 3 - Backing vocals(the exact words from the main vocals respoken where needed) - mono / pan 20-30% right / fx : chorus(optional), delay(optional, you don't want to use if it's already used on track 2)turn the background vocals down to the point they do not drown out the leads, you want them to sound like a guy in the background reciting the song alongside the lead vocals without overshadowing them.

Track 4 - Adlibs(all the "yeah!" "uh huh" "that's right" stuff throughout the song). - mono / pan 20-40% left / fx : reverb(optional), delay(if not used on track 2 or 3)these shouldn't be mudded up with any other fx. leave them as clearly spoken as possible so they can be turned down to the point they're damn near subliminal.

Track 5 - Chorus 1 - mono / pan 40-60% right / fx : bus track 5 & 6 to the same stereo Aux and use a small amount of Reverb(5-10% wetness)"hallway" and "cathedral" presets are good.

Track 6 - Chorus 2(same chorus recited a second time word for word. Gives your chorus more color) - mono / pan 40-60% left / fx : bus track 5 & 6 to the same stereo Aux and use a small amount of Reverb(5-10% wetness)"hallway" and "cathedral" presets are good(your chorus should be a slight bit louder than your lead vocals so when they come in they catch attention. The reverb and stereo separation provides a lot of this.

Track 7 - Sound FX(optional) - stereo / no panning / fx : none. Use stereo sound effects with alot of stereo effect to them to begin with. Paste and go.

Track 8- Anything extra - use your best judgment.

Apply trim and eq to each separate track as needed(small amounts if any) then bus all tracks except 7(SFX) and 1(Beat) to the same stereo aux. Afterwards apply compression, de-essers, noise reduction(all optional) to all your vocals at once. Make sure your final mix is lower than -0.0db(out of the red on most DAWs) by adjusting the "master volume".

~

I hope you soak in all these tips because they Will help you!
    test
  2. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

i think they should add that these are guidelines.

for example, i totally disagree with the main vocal being panned, and the doubles being just 1 track and being panned the other way

effects are always optional and should be left out when not desired

and lowering the master volume will work when software based.
    in pro-tools HD that is where the DA conversion takes place so its easier to select all channels at once and lower the faders instead of touching the main fader.

2 tracks for the chorus is IMO way to few.
    I usually end up with 6 to 14 channels just for the chorus
    test
  3. nwo504

nwo504 Rawtunez

deranged made this. this a really good way to get started. You don't need to use it on every track but it works great for the most part.
    test
  4. Temp_Guest2

Temp_Guest2 Dope Lyricist/Producer

One should never pan the lead vocals
    test
  5. DDOT1981

DDOT1981 Member

Great info, I have a home studio, I also go to another. I've been researching how to get a better mix when I'm recording at home. I want it to sound smoother and not as distorted.
    test
  6. ...?...

...?... New Member

"one should never"

is a statement not relevant to mixing

there are no rules only guidelines
    test
  7. ~G.I~

if you are recording to loud and its distorted to begin with then you cant save it.

if you record a clean signal and it becomes distorted during mixing, you are doing something terribly wrong
    test
  8. Temp_Guest2

Temp_Guest2 Dope Lyricist/Producer

That's true but it's rare to find a song these days that pans the lead vocal hard left or right. Do it if you have to but the initial reaction of the listener(s) will be like !!!!!!!??!?!???!!!!!!!
    test
  9. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

I heard a song on Soundclick and the whole beat was coming from the right speaker and the vocals from the left :funny:
    test
  10. ~G.I~

probably a creative decision to get your attention :p
    test
  11. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

It worked then
    test
  12. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

terrible article

why are they panning leads?

hook needs to be layer 5 times per phrase...keep best take dead center, two hard left and right, two center left and right

vocals need 2 lead verses...first one dead center....2nd one panned slightly to the left and lower in volume

adlibs panned at your discretion

wet the vocals down with some reverb...add some tap delay, just dont over do it....accentuate the vocals....dont add there so much that it becomes obvious

thats all u need to know.

that article is horrible
    test
  13. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

lol thats crazy!
    test
  14. Free Lynx

Free Lynx ®m legend Peter Parker

yea that article is ass lol thnx anyways tho a for effort
    test
  15. Producerlife

Producerlife New Member

That was pretty helpful thanx
    test
  16. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Seems like this article was helpful to some but useless to others. 90% of what I do is by ear so everyone has there own methods.
    test
  17. Blackanese

Blackanese BlackaneseCantRap.com

the article is not bad, but never ONLY pan your lead vocals to one side...like urb said, one lead in dead center and a backing lead panned a little bit and lowered......

i wouldn't totally hate on this article, but there is no set method, its a good start for people just trying to get a feel of what their doing though
    test
  18. ffgghhjj

ffgghhjj New Member

currently has five boutiques in the United States.christian louboutin Two are located in New York, christian louboutin shoesand one in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and in South Coast Plaza of Orange County. Shoes boutique was opened in October 2007 on On Lan Street in Central, Hong Kong.In addition to the stores a large proportion of sales are also done online through online stores and boutiques.newhotshoes. louboutin shoes Is a name to vouch for in the world of footwear. With the signature red sole, you can certainly enjoy that fabulous sense of uniqueness and the compliments by wearing those Christian Louboutin Boots. Our Shoes selection offers latest hot-sell Christian Louboutin Boots. Choose now and make yourself
    outstanding!

christian louboutin saleChristian Louboutin has multiple lines, including Oriental, Louis XV, and Periwinkle. In 2005, he released over 120 different new models. As much as Christian Louboutin wants to be seen as a maverick, louboutin sale he also wants to create luxury items. His eccentric yet ultimately stylized designs continue to fascinate and attract fashionistas throughout the world. Is a footwear designer who launched his line of high-end women's shoes in France in 1991. Since 1992, his designs have incorporated the shiny, red-lacquered soles that have become his signature. cheap christian louboutinFlash a bit of red sole and true fashionistas will know you're part of the select group of style-worshippers who love Christian Louboutin's sexy shoes. Now -- to sweeten the deal -- e-tailer Bluefly.

discount christian louboutinWe are dedicated to providing the latest and best quality Christian Louboutin shoes , Jimmy Choo shoes, Manolo Blahnik shoes and other designer shoes at the conpetitive price. christian louboutin pumps With this wide range of products we are sure that you will be able to find some sexy high heels for all those special occasions. louboutin pumps Christian Louboutin Shoes now becomes the ladies' favorite. Christian Louboutin helped bring stilettos back into fashion. The Chiristian Louboutin Pumps are well known for theirs high heels, various materials, refined design, omfort, especially the signature red outsole, which made you eye-catching in the crowd.From sky-high pumps to studded slingbacks, Christian Louboutin is the go-to brand for statement accessories and heavenly heels.

However, as this year's,
    louboutin boots girls love short gloves are less able to reveal a small cut short wrist gloves replaced by a shorter than Lucy footwear ankle shoes in fact better than christian louboutin to wear, louboutin sandalsshowing a small ankle or foot makes the cut front leg seams longer, which makes those who like to wear christian louboutin women boots but since that is not enough leg slender girl with some alternatives.We have the strong supports behind. christian louboutin boots
    The manufacturing factory produces and offers our commodities steadfastly and efficiently.Christian Louboutin Sandals on Sale - Welcome to the best Louboutin Shoes store. christian louboutin sandals
    We offer discount Christian Louboutin Sandals at wholesale price.Christian louboutin black leather architek platform slingbacks Choose black crepe satin. Silvertone hardware. Buckle detail at ankle strap. Petal detail along vamp. Open toe. 4" covered heel.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.