How to rap to a beat

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Op3ration, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Op3ration

Op3ration M1racle Ch1ld

Every time i try to write or freestyle to a beat it starts off sounding like i am just talking over the beat. I recognize that it needs more of a flow that goes with the beat to it, so, when i try to add a flow in it just sounds like i am singing on the beat. Any advice for how to write or rap to a beat without sounding like singing?
    test
  2. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

I had been doing it nineteen years and had no idea how to explain this to someone until my boy Aceyalone - who has been doing it longer than me and was a founding member of Project Blowed - pig of simply. Focus on the snare. BOOM! BAP! BABOOM BOOM BAP! Is a basic drum pattern in hip hop. That "BAP" is where you basically need to always hit. Practice writing where you are always hitting there, and you will get in the pocket on the beat. To really get it, practice spitting other cats rhymes to their beats. Off the top of my head to think of someone who's cadence works for this without it getting too tricky, try Lupe, Kanye, Snoop. Be sure to bob your head. Sounds silly, but the best do that to keep time. YouTube any video of Common in the studio. He does it do much it almost caused a problem recording.

Once your body and head gets that swing and you're able to spit classics from snoop or Kanye or Lupe, you should just feel it. If truly being an emcee is in you, it should become easy. This is when it gets hard:

Go jump in a cipher. Caution to the wind, jump in the fire. You'll embarrass yourself, you'll mess up often. But it's how you improve.
    test
  3. bombfirst9milly

bombfirst9milly New Member

couple of tips:

1. rap other famous verses over instrumentals, that way u will get a better understanding on staying on-beat

2. hum/freestyle to the beat - it doesnt have to make sense just try to flow and then put words to the melody/rhythm u come up with
    test
  4. kingorap

kingorap New Member

test
  5. grimreaper24

grimreaper24 New Member

What I do is follow the beat with my tongue(almost like making your tongue dance to the music0 and from there I get my flow for the song
    test
  6. east1718

east1718 Member

i got da numba one answer. follow this youtube link. listen. and learn. my flow is different from others. feel free to drop comments too
    test
  7. Boss Status Ent

Boss Status Ent New Member

Hey does anyone know why cant post?
    test
  8. SanerHxS

SanerHxS HxS/Gateway Tonez

couldnt have said it better myself...follow this to the T and youll improve
    test
  9. katherine4

katherine4 New Member

good~
    test
  10. patrown

patrown student for life

i go free on a beat better then when I try and lay down tracks.. I've gotten down double/triple time and switching back and forth. I just turn it up loud and go to it.

Pissed a lot of people off and fell off in public many times before I got it down.
    being called out on it is unfortunately how I learned.you can focus on things other then a snare but it's recommended because it sounds cleaner most of the time and snares are reliable. listen to a beat a few times straight before you start. get used to every pause, and you may want to avoid chorus gaps until you can keep on beat while muting it for several seconds.
    I avoid beats with samples that aren't constant if I can.
    test
  11. patrown

patrown student for life

oh yeah. avoid bopping your hand around instead of your head.
    it just looks odd when I do that and I can't help it.
    test
  12. Brown Jesus

Brown Jesus Menso is for Dummies

I prestige to a beat. I put dashes where normal syllables go and vertical dashes for significant points; as far as the flow goes. Then I fill that in with words. I don't do it so much anymore, though, I just write.
    test
  13. Jersey Jackboi

Jersey Jackboi New Member

test
  14. MetroBeatz

MetroBeatz New Member

As a producer my advice would be first you need to start to find yourself as a artist. You should have a particular still. However sometimes depending on track you have to approach the song differently. One of things that I suggest to my artists is that if you have been told that you sound like someone that is already in the industry. YOu may want to listen to how they come up with a flow to a song with their verse. That dosent mean rap like that person but study how they lay down a complete song. One of the biggest issues I find with artist is that they can freestyle but do not know how to write a song. If you dont sound like anyone or have any similaries then pratice, practice, practice....it makes progress. Once you write a verse just practice it to the point where you remember it by hard. Then apply your own swag to the vocals. Once you do just a few times you will be better at sounding like a radio ready recording artist. I hope this info helps.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.