how to process a rap vocal ??

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Jay Impol, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Impol

Jay Impol New Member

this shit gets me insane, I've been fucking around with it for a long time now !

How can I process my vocals so they sound professional ?
    test
  2. MetaSin

MetaSin I Don't Believe In You...

ionno bout professional but get a good large condenser mix... get a good mic preamp... some good chords... get a good audio interface... and get some mixing tutorials
    test
  3. MetaSin

MetaSin I Don't Believe In You...

along with good audio software
    adobe audition/ cool edit pro is coo... theres also higher end programs such as cubase, and protools software
    test
  4. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

I think a thread about mixing rap vocals would be worthwhile. This is my process:

Verses
    A highly compressed mono track down the middle with two basically uncompressed "doubled up words" tracks panned 50%L and 50%R with a super limited adlib track down the middle, usually radio filtered.

The highly compressed middle tracks erases the need for a double track, and the panned out ones add width and just make it sound fuller to me. I can't really fuck with double tracking at all though. I know its like a standard thing, but everytime I try it shit just ends up sounding muddy plus i don't get complaints from my usual mixes.
    test
  5. Jay Impol

Jay Impol New Member

I've got a condensor,spitcap and phantom amped mixer, and audition(cooledit)

@mrSickVisionz, could you go into the matter a little more deeper please ?
    I really suck at this shit and I dont even know how to make a good compression :p
    ...like...could you tell me the presets ?

thanks in advance bro!
    test
  6. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

I agree w/ the exception of panning the double ups to the same point on both sides of the spectrum. They should offset each other a little bit... setting one to teh left 38 and one right 54 won't affect anything...but I believe you'll achieve a fuller, more natural sound... Plus, I was reading in The Mixing Engineer's Handbook that setting duplicates to the same point defeats the purpose of panning... all it does is create a 'Big Mono' effect... the same thing in both speakers...
    test
  7. Jay Impol

Jay Impol New Member

bump....How do I compress the main vocal the right way ?
    test
  8. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

mayn, wow @ "could you tell me the presets"
    test
  9. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

a good condenser....a pop filter...angle the mic slightly to stop sibblence

a good preamp

compression is key...i put it at a fast attack, slow delay and about 7:1 ratio....

EQ...i aint gonna give those secrets away.......thats somethin u gonna have to learn like errybody else

there are NO presets....dont use presets...i dont even kno why companies make em...i think they are just for demo purposes because any pro will tell u they are useless because every session is unique.........

use the L2 maximizer to boost vocals up in front of the mix...but dont let it attenuate past -3db...or its gonna pump and chop.......
    test
  10. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

Fuck wit ur software till you get a sound that works for you..."if it sounds good, it is good"

If you've never fucked with EQ or Compression or anything else for that matter...just twist some knobs and see what each one does to the vocal, study some pre-sets but dont always go by them just get a feel for how to get closer to the sound you want....it takes time for everyone i guess, no body got the shit mastered...good luck homey
    test
  11. Internal Quest

Internal Quest New Jeru Stand Up

you dont need to do that much to a rap vocal...but a decend mic and pre amp is a must have...you should do some reading on compression and eq
    test
  12. Jay Impol

Jay Impol New Member

isnt the phantom shit in the mixer a pre amp ? [turn]
    test
  13. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

you need a good mic.....and a good preamp......and a good compressor......

no process will help you magically....

if the raw recorded vocals dont sound decent alone...then you gotta step up your equipment.....simple.....
    test
  14. .SZR

.SZR Emcee/Producer

EQ and levels
    test
  15. -[InfaMouz]-

-[InfaMouz]- || M.Maestro ||

What you do is you gotta get on the metro north and come to NY. IN manhattan on 42nd street there's a building with a sign. It's called: " Processing RAP INC." What you want to do is you want to go in this building. Go to the front desk. There should be a secertary there to give you an app. I think they give you a number now,b efore they didnt. You take ya number and filling an application. Make sure you bring your audio file with you. After you fill this appliaction out, they will call your number and you have to turn it in. From there, its a good 10 -15 minutes before they check to make sure everything is right.

Then you will have to go through a series of drug and eye exams to make sure you are straight with a thing they call the 'code of process'. From there you will wait on another line to recieve your certificate of processing. The fee is 15 dollars.

Also: If its rap vocals, you have to pay an additional 50 dollars - You know, for all the swearing.

I hope I helped.
    test
  16. kaweenbeatz

kaweenbeatz the baddest bitch

this thread is stupid. what makes you think you can achieve "professional" sounding vocals on equipment that cost you $1,000? Industry rappers are recording on boards that run $100,000 and up alone!

(common sense)
    test
  17. J.Mack

J.Mack Highly Under-rated

^^^^^^^dont jump the gun......
    test
  18. Jay Impol

Jay Impol New Member

LMAO :()

I didn't really meant to get the professional sound of what comercial rappers have,
    but at least as good as possible.
    I did some searching on this site and found a list with producer tips,
    but all the compression shit threads dont excist anymore :(

Could someone pass me some sites to get me on the right way ?
    test
  19. kaweenbeatz

kaweenbeatz the baddest bitch

what part of that statement is "jumping the gun"?

Please name me 1 song out on the "mainstream airwaves" that was recorded on Cool edit pro using a samson condensor???

Guns dont jump...they shoot!
    test
  20. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

While I'm sure that he had a pretty good mic..etc... Beanie's album wasn't recorded in a vocal booth... it was recorded in the middle of a room into a laptop... at least parts of it...

But you're correct that you can't get "pro" sound... but at the same time... you can get pretty damn close to it...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.