How to make beats grimey?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by RZA n Wu 36, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RZA n Wu 36

RZA n Wu 36 Member

Hey,

I have recently gotten into sampling and I want to make my drums and samples sound more grimey. I am looking for some type of grimey effects like mobb deep style(hell on earth). I know some use vinyl samples to help with it but i was wondering what other types of effects i can put on my drums or samples through to make em grimey. thanks for help
    test
  2. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

get an old sampler......

eps classic or eps 16+

thats exactly what havok used to use......

honestly....you can try to "emulate" the sound of those machines but it wont ever really sound the same without introducing some analog distortion......so if your not gonna use an old sampler.......use an old guitar amp or some shit.....or a guitar effects processor
    test
  3. Dskillz

Dskillz aka MG The Future

Yeah - theres ways you can try to do it in software.. but the oldschool samples are straight to the point.

And they cheap - in fact im peepin an ASR or EPS rack...just for that purpose.

But grimey beats - usually are as grimey as the sample too...so pick them dark joints
    test
  4. Awkward

Awkward New Member

record it to a cassette, yeah thats right, a old 80's cassette. and then record it back into your computer.

if u have a mic, try to put it to your speakers and record your drums from the speakers. that might give it a pretty grimey sound.
    test
  5. Dskillz

Dskillz aka MG The Future

Well tape in general does wonders for the sound.

Scream on reason does a good job.
    test
  6. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

wtf... ••••• just use a grimey sample... there is no magic button to turn samples into grimey
    test
  7. RZA n Wu 36

RZA n Wu 36 Member

chill man, im new to this sampling... what ive done thus far is use mp3's to sample to see if i liked sampling... now i wanna invest some money into it to get some equipment... i know this shit takes effort, dont act like i think theres a magic fuckin button... i know it takes a long time to learn this shit i just want to know where to start, so if you dont like the thread get out, the others have been helpful enough
    test
  8. Premize Prod

man up and grow some nuts.
    test
  9. RZA n Wu 36

RZA n Wu 36 Member

u need to fuckin grow up, your brain is more important than your nuts, i learn by asking questions... u dont like it, then dont say shit... knowledge = power, not ur fucking nuts ull learn that when u get older
    test
  10. Premize Prod

so if ill learn that when i get older. that means you are significantly older than me i assume. which means your a grown ass man asking stupid questions like these. in highschool i bet you was in the class with them wheelchair slots and kids beating they chest.
    test
  11. RZA n Wu 36

RZA n Wu 36 Member

lol at the high school comment, shows that ur immature as fuck... and no im 21, not a grown as man... but when u get outta high school the real world will hit ya in the face and ull realize that ur status in high school doesnt fuckin matter... just mind ur own fuckin business
    test
  12. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

gotta go with an old sampler......and premize is right that you do gotta use some grimey samples to begin with.....but the sampler does most of the magic......a new sampler that does a good job of emulating older machines is the sp606 by roland......
    test
  13. Premize Prod

••••• i BEEN out of high school, got my OWN SPOT, my OWN JOB, in COLLEGE, and fund my production hobby..

so thut the fuck up about this real world bullshit. you still livin in ya momma basement tryna tell me about the real world. get the fuck outta here.

you can call me immature. and? like i said see my first sentence. im responsible enough to get all tha ton my own. ye ai joke around on the net. so what? that makes someone immature? uhuh. looks like you need some growin up to do.
    test
  14. Likle Gotti

Likle Gotti New Member

dither down your samples to 13 bit (or i guess 12 bit will have to do dunno if cool edit or w/e will do 13 bit) like the EPS
    test
  15. -[InfaMouz]-

-[InfaMouz]- || M.Maestro ||

Shut the fuck up.
    test
  16. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

truncating to 12-bit sounds nothing like sampling in at 12-bit in the first place. Your just fuckin up the sound when u do that. ull never get that eps sound in a comptier
    test
  17. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

lol i love how u guys jus toss around the word grimey
    like its an instrument
    i need a paino sample
    i need a grimey sample.

it really all starts off with ur sounds
    "grimey" drums are usually like filtered to not sound so bright
    meaning to sound a bit lower quality maybe

you might wanna try adding some distortion

and if ur using mp3s
    try getting the mp3 at a lower bit rate

say

192 would be the best quality so maybe like 96 or 64 kps (u can convert the bit rates using something like Adobe, Cool Edit Pro)

erm other than that iunno it all really depends on the sample.
    test
  18. Premize Prod

after you comb yo hair
    test
  19. -[InfaMouz]-

-[InfaMouz]- || M.Maestro ||

Nah, I'll let ya bitch comb that shit for me. And she can hook a niggga up wit some braids while she at it.
    test
  20. Sean "G"

Sean "G" New Member

you cant ask how to make a beat sound grimey

you just gotta BE GRIMEY

if you gotta ask then i guess you aint grimey so look for another sound in your music, because a "grimey" sound most likey doesnt fit your image as an artist.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.