How to build a vocal booth ?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by ConHo, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConHo

ConHo New Member

Im here copping materials to get my studio ready and i just got some ideas for a booth but i want some other ideas .....Any Suggestions ?
    test
  2. B@z

B@z Member

Yo ya wog have luck wit dat soudns dope like maryjane ya heared
    test
  3. *Eye-Q*

*Eye-Q* New Member

i'm using a closet in my house.
    see if u can find a small walk in closet. rip it apart and pad it.
    test
  4. dawboxpro

dawboxpro New Member

test
  5. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

I built one 4' x 4' x 8' out of moving blankets and pvc pipe.. cost me about $80.. here are some pictures..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    test
  6. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

bwahahahahaha!!!!

even tho, I'm still jealous. don't that open space below mess with acoustics??
    test
  7. Mr. ROUSH

Not really since there is carpet, but it's still not ideal.. I will eventually connect more moving blankets to cover the bottom. It really all depends on how good your room is to start with.. if your room is pretty tight and you have dead space to record in then this booth wont do much for you space at the bottom or not.. if your room is awful, (like mine) then it will help a lot.. even with the space at the bottom it made a huge difference in my situation.
    test
  8. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

u think if i hang carpet or comforters on the walls in my closet, it will work close or nearly as good as sound foam?
    test
  9. Mr. ROUSH

That's hard to say really.. depends on just how bad your room is and just how much treatment is needed.. home made booths using material that isn't rated for sound absorbtion or reduction etc.. really doesn't compare to those materials that are designed specifically to absorb and diffuse sound.. but, that's not to say you can't acheive the same end result with either when done right..
    test
  10. White Boi Dub

White Boi Dub TX RAPPA

Plexi Glass from lowes homie.
    test
  11. MC4SiGHT

MC4SiGHT JOE COMMiSSO

I built out my closet just put up some wooden supports and drywall. Floor was already carpeted, than I went to the Foam Factory store by my house and bought 144 1' by 1' 2inch think wedge foam, and spray adhesive and foamed the whole walls, than I bought a light and hung it up on the ceiling, and a fan to cool down the booth. Took me about six hours to build and cost around $450 total that includes foam, drywall, some 2x4's for support, a box of screws, spray adhesive, light, and fan.

here's a video of my setup. i've since finished the booth I had run out of foam and had to get more and recorded this before so.

YouTube - New Studio!

foambymail.com = cheapest place to get studio foam btw. Check em out.
    test
  12. Mike Nef

Mike Nef New Member

Google it
    test
  13. BigT905

BigT905 New Member

depends what u want .. u can take a corner of your room ....

not big .. just around 1.5m x 1.5m .......

make sure to padd the ground with like a blanket or something.... make the corner out of wood panels.... and you should be good ....
    test
  14. Ataraxis Beats

Ataraxis Beats New Member

I hate when people say that, why even reply? If everyone googled everything there would be no forums or one big forum that decided everything because everyone googled it.

There is something called a "Search" option on rapmusic.com that would probuly be more helpful.

To the answer..

A free option would be to put your mic in the corner of your room and get your bed mattress and block yourself in a corner lol I seen Lil Jon do that on MTV on cribs in Miami and tried it out myself and it works great.. if you want accoustics i guess you could even put the mic in your bathtub then sound proof
    test
  15. what polls are you using there that your packing blanket is wrapped around...

that reflection filter is for instruments BTW... hope your being effective with it.. the big reflection filter is for mics
    test
  16. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

the pvc pipe/moving blankets with vocal reflector, and dude that linked the dyi instructional plans are the best responses.
    test
  17. yea thanks i ended up googling a DIY vocal booth plan and the first result was the pvc plan

how many polls/fittings total did you wind up using?

i don't see how this can be effective in removing unwanted noise tho, maybe if i hook some audimute sound absorption sheets to it
    test
  18. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

it will do a little for noise, but its more for cutting down on reverb and bad sound reflection. if you're looking to actually drop the noise down some decibels, you will need sound proofing.
    test
  19. i need dead sound ... nothing gets in.. nothings gets out .. because i have people working on stuff in the other room and they can't be able to here me... i wanted to put some sound absorption sheets from audimute in my closet.. i heard this helps

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/customer-comments-absorption-sheet.aspx

these clip on your ceiling i assume.. time to move the clothes out of my closet and lay them on the floor lol
    test
  20. KNoXvillE

KNoXvillE Str8 MAjor LeAf FuNKy!

Roush, I like your set-up
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.