How the f has eminem fell off?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thaRooster, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Cage was not on anyone in the city's radar in 88, 92, and em really wasn't either.....There was no internet back then for a teenage em to hear a cage song in the late 80's....I saw em at the hip-hop shop in like 94-95 I think before I heard infinite....I liked cages stuff and MFTB but I had never heard of him until like 98 or so.....em started rapping like he did in 95-96, and he never stopped calling girls bitches......I never saw any resemblance in their styles, but it was because of em that I found out about cage.....2 white dudes who rap about crazy shit doesn't really mean much, even if they were both influenced by each other.....not a big deal either way, cage does something pretty different last I heard him...
    test
  2. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Not arguing really.....cage dissed em, em dissed cage with a line or 2..
    test
  3. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

:chefwat:

Im talkin SSEP times, 97, that's when you started hearin a similarity..n Em was arguably influenced by cage at the time not vice versa..thats when cage either got under his skin or was on his radar, thats why em went at him..on some challenge slick shit like em used to do

it's how the beef got so blown up
    test
  4. Mel Man

Em dissed him on 2 songs n 2 freestyles

the beef had some activity, wasn't just petty shots thrown
    test
  5. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

nothing cage has done sounds anything like SSEP... what similarities are you talking about? cage has a more emo/horrorcore feel to his music while Em's style back than was clever dark humor which is more similar to Big L, BIG, or chino XL.

they beefed because Eminem dissed several white rappers in that time period to separate himself from those he'd most likely be compared to.
    test
  6. the rhyme king 25

the rhyme king 25 Member

eminem ever never bit anybody lyrically he been miles ahead other mc's lyrically.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  7. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I agree with dream, what exactly aside from skin color makes them similar....they talk about weird shit...compare agent orange and tell me what song that resembles at all.....
    test
  8. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

I like early Em like anyone else...but the dude fell the fuck off, deal with it. I still cringe when I hear the "I guess thats why they call it window pain" line...it almost depresses me to hear one of the dopest punchline rappers of all time drop a line like that in the fashion that he did. The bar for Em is set high, and he couldn't reach up and touch that bar with his fingertips since Eminem Show. After Eminem Show, Em dropped very little dope shit...borderline shit that hardcore fans can convince themselves is good, but nothing "dope"
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  9. ReasonableSHOTZ

ReasonableSHOTZ Passenger Side Gunna

Not enough multies in your response for me to respond seriously.
    • -Rep -Rep x 2
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  10. ReasonableSHOTZ

Cage and Em met at scribble jam and Cage gave Em his tape. It was after this that Em started sounding more like Cage. Cage always had lots of humor in his rhymes.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  11. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

listen to them takin shots at each other, even their disses are completely different...

Eminem is clearly more direct while cage is more of a subliminal disser.
    test
  12. Mel Man

Honestly it's Cage that accused Em of bitin him n went at his neck for it..whether he did or not who knows...but the similarities are blatant imo. I think Em is better overall, but Cage was dope too..

N if you listen to AGent Orange, it's not that EM sound like him bar for bar, it's more the lil things..cmon dogg you don't see the similarities?
    test
  13. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

they both accused each other of biting (see the link I put up above) and in agent orange I really dont see eminem's style at all... cage's music is much more dark than eminem's darkest shit. and I agree about both of them being dope as fuck.
    test
  14. ReasonableSHOTZ

I don't think anyone would make the case that Cage is "better" than Em. Im not either. Em is definately more well rounded by far. Id just rather listen to Cage. I like his voice more and the nigga was actually as crazy as Em pretended to be

"Actin out the life of Cages childhood steeze/
    Wearin straightjackets in ya videos and magazines/"
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  15. Mel Man

This why Eminem fell off though..

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

Em aint the same, but yall act like hes terrible. by the standard he set, yes he is, but if Recovery was his debut album, by todays standard, most people would call it a classic.

yes, he yells too much. yes, he raps too fast and isnt very good at it. yes, he says some corny shit like that window pain shit. yes, he has flaws now, but he still ripped it on bad meets evil, and had some fire on recovery and relapse.

i actually wish he'd re-record relapse without the accents.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  17. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

word, that line kinda shocked me...I was like oh shit no he didn't just use that shit on record.....The bar he set thing is what I have been saying all the while, and he, nas and others, have done that as well.....It is hard to live up to the quality of shit they had put out to begin with
    test
  18. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Eminem's decline is due to the fact that he's stopped rapping in the moment and kept trying to be what he used to be. SSLP, MMLP and Eminem show were all him rapping in the moment and saying what he was thinking at the time. he changed a little bit each album because he changed as a person each album.

then look at Encore. Its the first album where he tried to "go back" to who he used to be rather than continue the progression he left off on The EMinem show. what happened? he couldn't do it right because he couldn't put his mind in the place it was in 1999.

then with relapse he tried again to be his old self... once again it failed... you had the drug references and the random violence, but Slim Shady was SO much more than that. Even WE the fans didn't realize how complex and amazing the slim shady persona was until we heard Eminem try to do it again. Slim shady was eminem's reation to being a broke under appreciated white rapper who had trouble providing for his family. Those factors didn't exist anymore so the reconstruction of the slim shady persona sounded forced and empty.

and then we have recovery and bad meets evil. he'd given up on trying to be slim shady and started trying to be like the most popular rapper over the past few years... Lil Wayne. so many rappers turned to emulating this nigga around the mid to late 2000s because he was on top. thats where all those horrible punchlines came from. lil Wayne's popularity.

freebass you constantly try to get me to listen to the dudes music and you cant see why I avoid playing his songs. You claim he was one of the dopest rappers at one point, but look at his lyrics through the mouth of an ACTUAL top tier rapper. you hate it.

that window-pane line is classic Weezy F baby whether you like it or not. those punchlines were littered throughout recovery and occured even more frequently throughout bad meets evil.

not to mention he kind of struck gold with that Forever verse in late 09 and now hes afraid to rap in any other way.

What Em needs to do is take a page from Nas' book and stop trying to be something hes not. Nas' Life Is Good is one of his best albums because he wasn't trying to be the 18 year old kid that made illmatic, he was being the 40 year old dude that had made it for almost 20 years in the rap game who was recently divorced with an 18 year old daughter. and it all sounded so genuine.

so thats what Em needs to do if he doesnt want to retire. just be his 40 year old rap veteran self.

wow. end rant.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

wow dream you really out did yourself on the in depth meter....props for voicing your full opinion and explaining it well....To start with, the Wayne stuff I would try to get you to listen to was from 04-08 and I still hold that stuff as great rap, but I Have always known why you don't wanna listen to it (mr louis logic/lupe diehard)...no insult cause I have very similar taste in rap as you do, minus Wayne....I think you look for the easy to find negatives in that music like his cleverness with similes....you are right though, that does sound like a Wayne type of line and maybe if Wayne had spit it like he used to, then it could have been something better sounding from his mouth rather than em......Wayne is a style and delivery rapper and he has the ability to do some great things lyrically, but he doesn't much anymore.....

With em, you may be right about some of the stuff, but the main thing besides time is drugs.....those can/do destroy creativity, and change a person....The em show wasn't his last great stuff, the we as Americans leaking effected him badly cause that was a great song and put that with the 5 or so great ones from encore and we might have had a good album by his standards......but the 04-09 years were dark for many reasons.....and the industry changed heavily then, and em was changing as well.....he became too complex and fast rapping, when his ssep/lp stuff was simple 2 syllable witty shit......he has been a victim of drugs time and his own talent.....
    test
  20. Mel Man

You can't blame Weezy for Em's wack punchlines

those typa lines are Weezy's niche, it's what he does well, not everyone can do it like Weezy, e.g. Eminem

Em was a storyteller, like Biggie...his rhymes painted pictures

they don't really do that anymore consistently..hit or miss, people aren't excited about Em songs or features anymore..I recall most being hungry for recovery n relapse, or at least interested in it...but were disappointed or their expectations weren't fulfilled. Now no one really cares as much..

N Encore did show Em's progression at points, Yellow Brick Road, Like Toy SOldiers, SPend some time, Mockingbird, Mosh..what he was goin through at the time

I think all of his albums do that cuz Em a personal rapper..
    test