How Much Should A Beat Lease Be?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by BullyBeats, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Yo, is there a recommended price for the lease of a beat? I've been looking around the net and prices vary from around $1 to $50 per lease with lots of variables including bulk deals.

I'm charging $19.99 at the moment but I lowered it for a few days to test the shit out cause my site been up for less than 2 weeks so I wanted to dip my toe in the water first.

I noticed people are willing to pay but I've had so many people wanting beats for free and they won't even give me a link to their site so I can check them out LOL. They just str8 in with there hands out HAHA

So I'm wondering, would it be an Idea to charge a higher price for leases so the ones that really want it will buy it and the ones that don't won't even ask. Or is that not feasible?

Any advice welcome
    test
  2. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

im in the same position...i heard you should keep your prices high to weed out the people who only want free beats
    test
  3. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

as high as you want..

tho I must say, i think us producer should all raise our prices worldwide to 100$ per lease.

not gonna happend because there are always going to be "producers" with a cracked FL leasing beats for 99 cents and 50 beats for free.

it a shame, but thats what the market for leases is.

The real serious artists still spend money on expensive leases and exclusives, but they only go to the high profile producers.
    The hobby artists are satisfied with 20 beats for 10$

When this trend first started I was forced to lower my price from 250$ per lease to 20$
    I then made an average of 400 to 600 a month.
    but now with all the low prices, im happy to lease 1 beat every few months.
    test
  4. Sho-Down

Sho-Down RockItPro.com

$100-$150 was the standard back in the day, now it seems to be between $30-$50 per Lease. I Lease mine for $30 each but I probably could've done just as good with $50 Leases.

If you want to do $19.99 per Lease my advice is to offer levels...as an example:

Regular Lease $19.99
    1,500 copies
    1 commercial purpose
    320 kbps mp3

Premium Lease $39.99
    5,000 copies
    1 commercial purpose
    HQ .Wav File

That way you get both markets, the guys just doing it for a hobby and the guys that are really pushing to sell some units.
    test
  5. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Yeah, good points. So the gist of what I'm getting is that a higher price might be better long term or change the contract terms if I stick to my current price. But like G.I said you might have to be high profile to demand higher prices. So I dunno

I'ma up the price and see what happens but if you see me leasing beats for $0.99 next week, guess what - it didn't work LOL
    test
  6. Skrazey Beatz

Skrazey Beatz SkrazeyBeatz.com

In my opinion there is no real price for beats, it's who you market them to. Online, the basic lease rate is $20-$50. Do a survey with like 15 or more online rappers if want to kill the market with your beats. If you market your beats to the rich suburban cats, you can charge them $100 and up per lease. If your in the heart of the ghetto you can charge 3 for $50. If your beats are fire you shouldn't have a problem adapting to any market. online or offline.
    test
  7. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Tru tru, just trail and error I guess. Was thinking about giving away a freebie of a beat I'm making now and just give the shit away. Getting a lot of local interest at the moment which is good.
    test
  8. Skrazey Beatz

Bully, If you want to give away the freebie go ahead but to a serious customer only in my opinion. I feel, a true artist just like anyone of us going to the mall to cop a fitted knows what they want when they see or hear things without trying to steal shit.
    test
  9. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Yeah, well the freebie in question was a beat I started for a friend but he wants a reggae/ska type beat doing now and tbh I'm fuckin sick of that track and it'll just sit on my computer anyway. So I thought I'll make an exception and give it away for free,
    test
  10. Envy

Envy Song Writer / Artist.

Just don't over-price your shit, There's nothing worse than when you see a producer who advertises leases for $100 and his products sound like it was his first day making beats.

It's gotten to the point though where real talented producers have to lease beats for $30 because of oversaturation and over-pricement, i have to search through like - 30 to 40 pages of "producers" just to find someone who can consistantly make diverse and GOOD beats.
    test
  11. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

I think mine are a fair price
    test
  12. Skrazey Beatz

I't doesnt matter about the price. I started selling leases online for $50 when I first started in summer 08 and cats were buying my rookie beats. the market has gotten so clogged rappers got "spoiled" and feel like since producer A is charging $5 I'm gonna go with him this time because I can get 10 beats for that price. The desperation of some of these beatmakers man, SMH. Those will be the ones bending over to get in the industry.
    test
  13. AtomicBeats

AtomicBeats Member

don't know if anybody's on RocBattle, but now you can't charge anything less than 20 dollars per lease there, which is a great idea. I wish every beat selling websites had that policy, altho it would be hard to do that on some sites like Soundclick, cause some "producers" could just say "send the $1 payment to my paypal address" lol
    test
  14. 508productions

508productions New Member

If its a beat I made in a day, I usually lower the lease, but on an ongoing project, I raise the lease and exclusive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Myspace
    twitter
    soundclick
    508 Productionz. We Next.
    test
  15. PLT Productions

PLT Productions Baltics Most Wanted

beat lease should not be at all and should be banned
    test