How much protein should I be getting?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ThisMiss, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

So you're telling me that a person that weighs 300 Lbs. with 50% body fat needs 300g of protein per day to maintain his muscle? Keep in mind that just because it says 50% does not mean he's also 50% muscle. Muscle, fat, skeleton, organs, skin, water weight etc. are all taken into account. So in reality, he'd probably be around 20-25% maybe less. But he needs 300g of protein?

You are wrong. I hope that explanation clarifies it better.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i see what youre sayin man...

but thats basically what i keep reading and hearing from people LOL

on that note i take 90g's of protein/day in shakes, and just estimate the rest i get through my daily meals....i tend to eat alot of meat and peanuts
    i was also told that a portion of meat the size of your hand(minus) fingers will have approx 30 g's of protein

so thats how i get my daily value of approx 130 grams a day.....
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

That cat who wrote the zone diet says that basically you take your overall body weight and fat percentage, figure out how much of your weight is fat according to the percentage of your weight, then subtract that from the total, and thats an accurate idea on how much protein you need, give or take a few grams

for example i weigh 170 and im 8% body fat

170 x .08 = 13.6

---------
    156.4grams of protein/day

and thats different than what youve been sayin and than what ive been saying....i dunno, this dude seems as creible as anyone else, and its a different take on it....

im beginning to think maybe we are both wrong?
    test
  4. Gorilla Nasty

I can't read my e-book cause my Adobe reader's been fucking up. I think you'd be fine at about 140 grams. I kind of don't like what you posted because it doesn't take into account the weight of your skeleton, (which is pretty significant) etc., but at least it's more reasonable.

Plus, I'd try to cut that protein from shakes in half. 5 meals at 20 grams of protein (at least) isn't hard at all to do. Then you have another 45 grams from shakes.
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah im realizing my original idea on it was wrong. Although i never was successfull at reaching those doses with my own intake, i always tried to get there. LOL

good thing my protein is sold cheap(sold cheap not IS cheap)

Im beginning to figure out how hard it is to find accurate fitness info on the net....

everyone seems to have something riding on their opinions such as sales of supplements and diet programs LOL

1 question, if carbs give you energy, why are they so bad? dont athletes like to eat pasta?
    test
  6. Gorilla Nasty

Everything you eat gives you energy. Carbs are just the most energetic. For some people they are bad. Some people can et them all they want. I think the main problem is burning them off. Lots of carbs are great if you have lots of physical stuff to do.

I try to avoid carbs. So I just plan my meals strategically. I always make sure that breakfast is my biggest meal with the most carbs. I'll even go for th starchy ones like potatoes. The starchy ones give you a lot of bang for your buck which is a double edged sword. They're great for working out, not for much else. But I figure it's the start of my day, so I know I'll burn them off.

I also like to have plenty of starchy carbs before I work out. Usually a baked potato. other than that though, whatever carbs I get are from a piece of fruit or some green vegetables. Also I make sure I'm not taking in those starchy carbs close to bed time because how the hell would I use them?

As far as information, online sucks for any information because all you'll find is conflicting views. So it kind of boils down to what's right and works for you. I just happen to base my information off of a book that helped me with diet immensely. I took a nutrition course, and it wasn't shit. Well it kind of helped but was very basic.

The book Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle (I'd D/L it if you could) taught me so much about diet. Protein intake, vitamins, minerals, macros, fats, etc. it's really a great book and I'm always telling people to D/L it even though I doubt they do. It's very straightforward and everything is broken down well.
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

another question

most supplements seem to be for people who wanna build muscle.....is there any supps that are more beneficial for people workin on endurance?

cuz i heard creatine doesnt really help you much if youre say a long distance runner...
    test
  8. iconoclast_

iconoclast_ PoorBoy Lover Plus

Ew you weigh 140?

Disgusting.
    test
  9. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Bingo.

Perfecting one's diet takes years of trial and error and experimentation. Every single body is different and hence every single diet is going to be different. What works for one person could be terrible for another. The internet is a treasure chest of information, you just have to take in as much information as you can and figure out what would probably be best for you. It takes time and a lot of research.
    test
  10. exothermic

exothermic Well-Known Member

first time viewing this section of rm....

thismisss update us, how much weight have u lost so far

by the way 65g of protein what the avg person is required to get... if you tryna lose weight watching fats carbs and the calorie intake more important than how much protein you taking in, the protein your asking about is so u maintain or build muscle im guessing 65-100g of protein depending on how much cals you taking in and how much cardio your doing and how much times a week you excercise
    test
  11. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

see thats the problem...protein isn't going to build muscle if you arent lifting hard...and by hard i mean absolutely struggling every week to add another rep or more weight...

theres men out there who are trying desperately to put on just 1lb of muscle and they are barely doing it....so do you really think she will put on a lot of muscle?...plus some muscle can help a females body look more x shaped and feminine...

anyway....i think she needs to eat 25-30g of protein 6 times a day to be in an optimum environment to lose bodyfat....

heres a list of 25-30g protein sources

3.5 oz chicken breast
    3.5 oz turkey breast
    6oz of white fish
    6 oz lean red meat(limit this though)
    1 cup of egg whites
    1 scoop of most protein powders

but protein is simple...carb and fat intake are a little bit more complex, since everyone responds differently to them
    test
  12. exothermic

exothermic Well-Known Member

so ur saying she should eat like a man and put on more fat and water weight on her bulk then..... protein with no fats and carbs isnt putting on any muscle thus she eating 1lb per bodyweight isnt putting on much muscle..... anyways like i said it depends how much work she is doing cause i know as a female she would be doing cardio work along with the light lifting she does
    test
  13. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

females need to eat protein to get lean...protein isn't an efficient energy source, so the body doesn't store it as fat...unlike carbs or fats...

very rarely do i ever see a female lose weight...but, the females who have been able to lose weight usually eat the same things i mentioned...

here is a study backing my claim...

"In another study by T-mag's own Doug Kalman et al (2001), Doug showed that a 1200kcal, high-protein (47%P, 36.5%C, 16.5%F) diet was more effective than a 1200kcal, moderate-protein (24.5%P, 48.3%C, 27.2%F) diet for fat loss. Subjects in the high-protein group lost 6.3lbs of body weight, 5.3lbs of fat weight, and only 1lb of lean weight. The moderate protein group lost 3.1lbs of body weight, no fat weight, and 4.5 whopping pounds of lean weight. Try telling these subjects that a calorie is a calorie!"

i got this from john berardi's article http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_1.htm

so, the people eating moderate protein ended up not losing any fat at all...they probably looked worse...

and im not just arguing with you...i disagree with pretty much everybody in here
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.