How much protein should I be getting?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ThisMiss, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

no i dont, and even when i did i am very knowledgeable in this field

theres a difference between weighing 140 and cutting down to 140 in a week.
    test
  2. stand out

stand out New Member

yeah i agree with ben 100 is wayy too much because she is a girl and she is NOT tryin to put on muscle
    test
  3. well like i said in another post i eat them oatmeal breakfast bars between meals each is 3g in protein.. i eat enough just to fill me up cuz i don't hardly eat anything these days..before i worked out i ate when i was board im tryna find something else to do when im board lol
    test
  4. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

If she's not trying to build muscle then why is she lifting 3 times a week? Intentional or not her body's trying to build muscle from those 3 lifting days, 100g is not too much.
    test
  5. Ben Official

my guess; to tone
    test
  6. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Ugh.

There's no such thing as "toning".

You can't spot train and you can't "tone" a muscle. You can however, lose body fat and build muscle, which is what she's really trying to do.

It stands, 100g is not only fine, it's necessary.
    test
  7. Ben Official

shes not trying to gain weight.

you and me, we need lots of protein. her, she doesnt.

shes working more on muscular endurance instead of strength, she is trying to lose fat and keep muscle, or maybe build a little muscle instead of packing on mass. at least thats what im picking up

but who are we to say what she's trying to do. your saying she wants one thing im saying she wants another.

my answer stands: dont worry about it if your eating nutritiously and not trying to bulk up which i highly highly doubt you are. your probably getting enough protein in your daily diet as you need as it is. if your really concerned then use the formula i gave you, its a pretty good estimate.

so there you have 2 different opinions, listen to who you want. me and steve usually dont see eye to eye .
    test
  8. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

actually sounds like she wants to be lean so she's better off, cause steve is likely to start telling her to take steroids soon...
    test
  9. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Thought I ran you outta here a couple months ago when you started posting bullshit powerlifting numbers?

And since when is protein consumption NOT associated with leanness?
    test
  10. Ben Official

when you consume too much and get fat
    test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Yeah but people are MUCH more likely to overconsume carbs before they will protein. Has anyone even asked her how many carbs she's taking in?
    test
  12. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i take over 130grams per day

its bullshit if anyone say you cant process that much protein

the human body processes it fine from what my doctor said

he said the human body knows how to handle all the protein because back in the days of cavemen and shit theyd only get protein every once when they killed game but when they got it they ate a TON of it.

and they were physically fit, maybe lacking in vitamins from the lack of propper veggies but as far as muscle and strength and conitioning go
    test
  13. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

I don't eat that many carbs at all, I eat alot of salad, fish and chicken..
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

there is a few people in this world who have a body type that is less negetively affected by carbs...

those people can eat carbs with less of an impact on them than anyone else...
    test
  15. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Your doctor never met a single caveman. How exactly does he know what they ate or how much? As far as I know humans ate everything, vegetables, seeds, meat, plants, even bugs. So are you going to start eating bugs? And I'd like to point out that protein can come from just about any source, not only game. You can get it from legumes, seeds, vegetables, even insects.

And I'm sure that cavemen would have been physically fit regardless of what they ate back then. They had no cars and no supermarkets. And no pollution either. Everything was natural. So why wouldn't they be in good shape?

The human body does not process excess protein. Maybe you and your doctor don't understand the meaning of the word. Let me break it down- after a certain amount of protein is ingested, all of the rest of it goes straight down the toilet. Your body only needs whatever it needs to carry out everyday functions as well as repair muscle. Everything after that (which is way less than what you think) just gives you expensive bowel movements. It's just like anything else. If I drink water, my body takes what it needs and pisses the rest out.

WTF do you think you have some sort of protein storage in your body or something? If you want to flush money down the toilet, go ahead.
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

first of all im just talking about consuming your weight in grams of protein, not going all out and eating 300+ grams of it a day....

no need to get all uppity about it dude....i even said this is what my doctor told me. Sorry but people tend to believe what their doctor tells them.

im not saying youre wrong, but look at it from my point of view

a Doctors advice is a little easier to believe as fact over an anonymous person on a message board, specially when the dietrician/fitness consultant at my gym basically said the same thing...

ive been told by numerous people that you need to consume your weight in grams of protein to maintain current muscle mass....if you dont then your body breaks down some muscle to get the extra protein....

jeez dont get mad cuz i dont just take anonymous names off message boards as 100% factual
    test
  17. Gorilla Nasty

Well I'm talking about even 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. It's flat out wrong. Your total bodyweight has nothing to do with the equation.

Your fitness counselor is an idiot who deserves to die.

I guess there's nothing wrong with asking your doctor or believing him. When I'm having car troubles, I usually go to the local bakery and ask them for advice on what I should do all the time.

So let me get this straight- You asked your fitness counselor his advice, didn't believe it and asked your doctor? Or is it the other way around?

Either way, I smell BULLSHIT. Let's save it for the rodeo OK?
    test
  18. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

askin a doctor about diet is not like taking your car to a baker...

Ive aksed many people about how much protein someone should take, and time and time again i hear "atleast your body weight in grams of protein"

YOU my friend, which to me are just an anonymous name on a Hip hop message board, are the first person in my whole working out career that says this is wrong.

hey im sure you might be able to find me some article that says so, but i will show you the same amount that say im right....

Not saying i am, but shit dude, why wouldnt i question YOU over my doctor and numerous people who work at my gym giving various diet/workout advice?

you act like its completely insane for me to believe anyone else but you(who are again, to me, just an anonymous name on a message board)

and whats wrong with askin my doctor and fitness councellor? havent you ever asked the same question to more than 1 person when trying to find out as much info as possible?
    test
  19. Gorilla Nasty

One last time- Your total bodyweight has nothing to do with the equation.
    test
  20. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Ok

but i was told that since i weigh 170lbs, i should take between 170 and 240 grams per day if my goal is bodybuilding.

which could be generalized in MY case by saying "atleast your body weight in grams of protein" seeing as they suggested atleast my body weight in g's of proteins

and yeah i realize when reading shit on the net the motive is sales, and they want me to eat shitloads of protein to sell more powder, but shit, ive heard this from numerous people who have o stakes in proteins powder sales....

im not saying i wont ever beleive you dude, just ive never heard anything like what youve said.....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.