How Much Is An Anti-Education Mentality Responsible For Poverty?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Crates, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

We've all heard about how too many kids and parents in low income areas have a negative attitude towards being educated. Such as some Black-American and Latino kids who may view academic achievement as "acting white" or not cool or poor whites who may not put a big emphasis learning. Now we all generally know that education is how you move up. But if you have a negative attitude towards being educated then this mindset will make it harder to move up out of poverty or from a bad situation.

So my question is how much is this negative attitude towards education that exist among many poor people playing in keeping them in poverty vs other things such as a lack of social programs for example?
    test
  2. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Good question, but I'm too uneducated to answer it. LOL
    test
  3. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

education is what really causes poverty
    test
  4. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Modern society is faced with a series of problems on this subject, which remain transitory. Great mechanisms have difficulty in eliminating defects before they become really challenging and cumbersome. Of all the social degeneration viruses, society still hasn't reached a stage where they'd honestly be looking for real solutions.

Society is like a big lazy person, lying in a hammock and drink beer, who'll only put on a T-shirt after the thirty-seventh mosquito bite and get a new beer only when really running out of the old one.

The conclusion in your question seems pretty cliché. which I'd like to involuntarily and instinctively avoid.

Because children are dependent on others (their parents), they're entering into poverty or at least trying to avoid it, based on family economic circumstances. Children themselves can't change the family situation, at least not until they grow up, and their prosperity depends on their parents, but poverty is also associated with modest physical, cognitive and social outcomes in children and adolescents.

Children coming from families with a lower socio-economic status, and with it from a dispiriting environment (lack of toys, books, reading, drawing, integration into a variety of extracurricular activities, attendance at various cultural and entertainment events, etc..), don't develop the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for successful participation in education. When parents are unable to provide enough toys, books, etc. for their children and the emphasis falls on survival, then they provide children with less cognitive incentives, such as in academics and language. The effects of poverty can therefore be seen in children very early on, in the cognitive and physical health, behavioral and emotional responses, and in the educational field.

In addition to the direct effects of poverty, it can also affect the development of children's cognitive abilities and their academic performance indirectly. In modern society, not only is one considered poor because of lacking enough income to survive, but also for not being educated enough. The negative attitude is only subtly making sure that people keep repeating the cycle they've been taught.
    test
  5. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

It's not about having a negative attitude towards education. They just don't give a shit.
    test
  6. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

One related problem I've noticed is that too many people in low income areas have narrow interest. I think people's interest can determine where they end up. When I was in school I noticed how so many of the kids from the projects and low income families in general didn't have too many interests beyond cars,clothes,music and sports. Expanding their interest beyond those things I think would be one key in moving more people out of poverty. If you want to become middle class then you'll need to adopt some middle class interest.
    test
  7. NewLogic

NewLogic New Member

That's a good point, if people want to be middle class, or "high class," you have to share the same values and habits of those people. Do you think middle class kids have to stay up till 2am listening to their parents party or fight? I'm a teacher in a low income district and to say low income families just don't care seems pretty accurate, so a different element to teaching in such an area is convincing them to care and finding ways to make what you teach relevant. My friends who teach in higher income districts have to learn to deal with helicopter parents (something I'm glad I don't have) and as a father I try to find a balance between those 2 extremes.
    I don't know if poverty is linked to "education" as much as it is linked to what education is suppose to instill, that is a hard work ethic and creativity.
    test
  8. AdHominem

AdHominem Veni, vidi, vici

Wrong, it is a factor, but not the only one.

There are many, many, many ways that we have created a system that is designed (and we didn't necessarially try to) to keep people down. Gerrymandering, property taxes, school funding, public transportation, predatory lending, the prevalence of single parent or broken homes, lack of jobs, workforce engineering, the insane number of college graduates were pumping out, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, have created a system where it is very, very, very hard to rise from the bottom.

Poverty is cyclical.

Is the anti-education bias to blame? Yes, but the fact that we aren't giving millions of Americans a fair shot to work hard and advance themselves is much greater.

A great book on this is "Categorically Unequal" by Douglas Massey. It is an incredible look at the way we have inadvertantly held people down.

Amazon.com: Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System (9780871545855): Douglas S. Massey: Books
    test
  9. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

Explain this vague shit.

Education is a must btw. but rip-off education is a problem.
    test
  10. THA ITIS

THA ITIS New Member

yes you are right.
    negative attitude is reason for poverty
    i liked school cuz it was easy
    i grew up poor as fuck with a single parent household
    i was lucky it was my father i had an 80.2 average in school
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.