How Marijuana got manipulated / bad reputation

Discussion in '420Lounge' started by Frederik Chopin, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederik Chopin

Frederik Chopin Best Weed in the City

If this is too long of a read for you, stop smoking weed idiats

I'll compromise though, at least read the stuff in bold

source http://www.viper records.com/newprohibition/truestory.shtml

No one seems able to determine the exact date that hemp/cannabis/marijuana appeared on the scene. This document will trace hemp back as far as history will allow, from 8500 BC in China to present day, noting the important role this much maligned weed has played in numerous civilization down through the ages.

The oldest human ever found was wearing a hemp blouse with a silk like quality. In 2700 BC Chinese written history tells us that hemp was used for fiber, oil, and as medicine. By 450 BC hemp was being cultivated in the mid east for the same purpose. Hemp was first introduced into Europe around 1000 AD, and by the sixteenth century it was known to be the most widely cultivated crop in the world producing rope, sails, cloth, fuel, paper, paint, food and medicine.

Of course hemp was an important product to the new world. In 1762 Virginia rewarded farmers with bounties for hemp culture and manufacture, and imposed penalties upon those who did not produce it. The Declaration of Independence was drafted on hemp paper, and Betsy Ross chose hemp as the material for this country's first flag. George Washington grew hemp for fiber and recreational use, and Thomas Jefferson acquired the first American patent for his hemp break, a devise used to separate the hemp stalk into usable hurds and fiber with greater speed than the retting of past.

Without hemp America could not have successfully waged the revolution, and for the next one hundred and fifty years hemp enjoyed the position as America's top cash crop. Why then, in 1937, was the Marijuana Tax Act imposed to effectively make hemp non competitive in the commercial arena?

William Randolph Hearst had accumulated a chain of newspapers that made him the most influential man in America. He also owned vast timber holdings which fed the paper industry. Lammont Du Pont was his friend and supplied toxic chemicals which were needed for making paper. He was also the spearhead for a fledgling petrochemical industry. Both men stood to loose large if hemp turned the industrial revolution corner, which it looked like it was about to do with the invention of the "decorticator", a far superior machine to Jefferson's hemp break. With this new invention, it appeared that hemp could now be processed quickly enough to be used for paper and plywood instead of trees, and the petrochemical industry was and embarrassment considering you can make the same five hundred biodegradable products from hemp. This was not good news for Mr. Hearst or Mr. Dupont. Henry Ford had already made and fueled a car almost entirely from hemp, and it actually looked as if hemp had the capacity to affect Hearst and DuPont's bottom line.

Hearst ordered all his editors to write scathing stories about marijuana to which they replied, "What's that?" Hearst made the word up because he knew no one would believe scathing stories about hemp. The articles all denigrated Mexicans, African Americans, Jazz Musicians, and the city of New Orleans, suggesting that marijuana use would certainly lead to crime, insanity, and early violent death. After a few years of this bombardment, the country was primed for the marijuana tax act of 1937.

The marijuana tax act was sent through the good old boys network with help from Hearst and Dupont allies until it was signed into law by President Roosevelt on August 2, 1937. A slam dunk for the corporate giants, and a great lose for America. The bill actually charged a one hundred dollar an ounce tax on any commercial hemp transaction, which made American hemp noncompetitive. All hemp used by America had to be imported, that is until 1942 when our supply was cut off by the war, and the Government started it's "Hemp for Victory" campaign.

The plan called for the planting of three hundred thousand acres of hemp, and for building seventy-one processing plants... a strange position for our government to be in only four years after taxing it to death. As the end of the war drew near, the government's position on hemp flip-flopped yet again. Over night this war time wonder plant had once again become the demon weed from hell...

On November 2, 1951, Congress passed the Boggs act, increasing the penalties for all narcotics violations. They also included marijuana on the list of narcotics which was the beginning of a whole other problem. All of a sudden our jails were filling up with middle class kids caught smoking pot. Now there was a whole counter culture revolving around smoking pot, and by the mid seventies everyone was thinking it would only be a few more years till the government came to it's senses and repealed the marijuana prohibition. They must have been pipe dreaming.

Every study done on marijuana since the 1944 Laguardia report suggests that legalization is the only way out. In 1996 there were six hundred thousand Americans arrested on drug charges, of these, eighty six percent were for simple possession. Of the one million six hundred thousand people in federal and state prison, twenty-five percent are there for drug violations. This immense expenditure, capturing, prosecuting, and incarcerating, not to mention funding "the drug war", and the loss of revenue through billions of untaxed drug dollars is not a sane situation by any standards.
    In the last decade Hemp's popularity has become even more prevalens; both as a recreational drug and as a raw material. Not only has smoking increased drastically, but there are now over three hundred companies in the United States that deal exclusively in hemp produucts. California and Arizona have passed the medical marijuana initiative, while other states block attempts to legalize industtrial hemp. In the meantime, once again, hemp has become America's largest cash crop beating second place corn by a mere twenty billion dollars.

There have been many little parts of the hemp/cannabis/marijuana story told, but no one has ever done a comprehensive history. We shouldn't let Misters Hearst and Dupont dictate the way we view the hemp plant today. We intend to present the truth, and, as the old saying goes, "truth is always stranger than fiction."

-Jonathan Stuart
    test
  2. Styles Mega

Styles Mega New Member

good looks on that bold lol

word up tho
    test
  3. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

C.r.e.a.m.

!
    test
  4. J-Rotten™

J-Rotten™ New Member

All drugs used to be legal only tobacco and alcohol have been banned and then made legal again. Im waiting for the day pot becomes legal cus then I can say "fuck you pig" and keep on smokin'. I honestly think all drugs should be legal, I mean come on if you want to do cocaine or herion and fuck your life up thats your own choice.
    test
  5. JiHaD210

JiHaD210 REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

i forwarded this to my moms so she could educate herself....i finally got her to be 100% ok with my smokin...enough to where she can walk in on mer hittin a pipe and wont say anything about it at all
    test
  6. SonOfABitch

SonOfABitch I'll drop you on yo neck

America is a nation of violence, if weed were legal, this
    country would be too laid back to go to war with other countries.
    test
  7. M Phix

M Phix New Member

"Henry Ford had already made and fueled a car almost entirely from hemp, and it actually looked as if hemp had the capacity to affect Hearst and DuPont's bottom line."

I recently heard that car manufacturers were researching the production of cars using mainly hemp, but I had no Idea this was done before. Especially by Henry Ford, this man is ancient.
    test
  8. FactUnderground

FactUnderground Eff You

Preached this for years. Thanks for having this piece with tons of facts though.
    test
  9. The Grimace

The Grimace Jeff Goldblum

this was intense, if people knew this, man we'd have no problems
    cuz let them hit the bong afterwards, i was only aware of car/hemp from up in smoke lol
    but other than alcohol and tobacco they legalize phamarcuetical drugs that can also be used for non-medical purposes, and most are sold over the counter

sleeping pills actually trip you out pretty hard, i took 14 once and i could sleep lol ironic
    nice read
    test
  10. Kesmai

Kesmai New Member

Try coricidan.
    test
  11. whatdafuk

whatdafuk New Member

test
  12. MC-Panther

MC-Panther New Member

coricidan is fucked
    test
  13. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

Worrrd up, people dont realize that it EXPLICITLY SAYS IN THE CONSTITUTION THAT A PERSON'S RIGHT TO PUT ANYTHING THEY WANT IN THEY'RE OWN BODY CANNOT BE REGULATED BY THE GOVERNMENT. However, the government found a loophole around this through the drug/tax act or whatever it is... but technically the government making laws regulating what people can put in their bodies is unconstitutional....
    test
  14. p4ct

p4ct New Member

You can do that... You just can't do it legally... Theres more to it then just fucking up your life because when your addicted to these drugs you start to affect all the people around you. Now this might be extreme cases, but I still think that there should be some sort of regulation on them..
    test
  15. Cheez

Cheez New Member

dont do coricidan, its really dangerous. if your gonna trip DXM use robotussin cough long acting b/c it only contains Dextromethorphan. if you cant get robo get something else that contains ONLY DXM.

at one time all the sails in the world were made from hemp. thanks for this piece of info hopefully heads walk away more enlightened.

i agree, i generally think that natural drugs should be legal ie shrooms, weed.
    test
  16. Possible

Possible Music.

Coricidan eats your stomach liner. ALSO, they been removing that shit from most stores.
    test
  17. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

I did a paper on the history for Hemp back in 2001 for my Grade 11 english class, it read pretty much like this. Got an A too. Hemp in comparison to cotton or wood or soybean is better for the world than all 3.

http://www.thehia.org/hempfacts.htm

HEMP FACTS

1) Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginnings of pottery. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC.

2) Presidents Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during the Colonial Era and Early Republic. The federal government subsidized hemp during the Second World War and US farmers grew about a million acres of hemp as part of that program.

3) Hemp Seed is far more nutritious than even soybean, contains more essential fatty acids than any other source, is second only to soybeans in complete protein (but is more digestible by humans), is high in B-vitamins, and is 35% dietary fiber. Hemp seed is not psychoactive and cannot be used as a drug. See TestPledge.com

4) The bark of the hemp stalk contains bast fibers which are among the Earth's longest natural soft fibers and are also rich in cellulose; the cellulose and hemi-cellulose in its inner woody core are called hurds. Hemp stalk is not psychoactive. Hemp fiber is longer, stronger, more absorbent and more insulative than cotton fiber.

5) According to the Department of Energy, hemp as a biomass fuel producer requires the least specialized growing and processing procedures of all hemp products. The hydrocarbons in hemp can be processed into a wide range of biomass energy sources, from fuel pellets to liquid fuels and gas. Development of biofuels could significantly reduce our consumption of fossil fuels and nuclear power.

6) Hemp grows well without herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides. Almost half of the agricultural chemicals used on US crops are applied to cotton.

7) Hemp produces more pulp per acre than timber on a sustainable basis, and can be used for every quality of paper. Hemp paper manufacturing can reduce wastewater contamination. Hemp's low lignin content reduces the need for acids used in pulping, and it's creamy color lends itself to environmentally friendly bleaching instead of harsh chlorine compounds. Less bleaching results in less dioxin and fewer chemical byproducts.

8) Hemp fiber paper resists decomposition, and does not yellow with age when an acid-free process is used. Hemp paper more than 1,500 years old has been found. It can also be recycled more times.

9) Hemp fiberboard produced by Washington State University was found to be twice as strong as wood-based fiberboard.

10) Eco-friendly hemp can replace most toxic petrochemical products. Research is being done to use hemp in manufacturing biodegradable plastic products: plant-based cellophane, recycled plastic mixed with hemp for injection-molded products, and resins made from the oil, to name just a very few examples.
    test
  18. Possible

Possible Music.

Cocain and Heroin are natural too. Well I mean you can get effects of them in thier natural state, unrefined. They just not as good as when its manufactured. But back in the day mayans and shit used to chew the leaves from the plant, and put the juice in the poppy plant mixed with alcohol to help control, nervousness and stuff like that, it all dates back centuries.
    test
  19. -Paper Chase-

-Paper Chase- alwaysgotberrybluetoblow

crazy shit Possible..yo Fred where the hell have you been at anyway ?
    test
  20. -Paper Chase-

-Paper Chase- alwaysgotberrybluetoblow

lol at coricidan..yeah dont do that..I remember one summer we did the robo tripping shit alot it was def some crazy/weird times
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.