how many of you in here can say you are proud to be the race that you are?

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by mr.rip, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost Prophet

Lost Prophet 11/04/2000 - 06/19/2009

I can see what you're saying, but I disagree to an extent. Although you may have had no hand in it, you're still a part of it, so I feel as though you do have the right to feel proud.

If your city were to host the olympics (yeah, the analogy sucks, but I got a headache), although you had nothing whatsoever to do with the process of winning the bid, as a resident of that city, you have every right in the world to feel proud.

As far as race goes, if you looked at the heritage of your people, why wouldn't you feel proud? Even knowing you played no part, I feel being a descendant of something great is worthy enough to warrant pride.

It's not all about individual accomplishments, all the time.

By the way... How are you? I haven't heard from you in years.
    test
  2. ~S*T*A*R*M~

~S*T*A*R*M~ Goddess

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it's wrong to say you're proud of something. I'm also not questioning anyone's right to feel proud.

I'm going to play a bit of the DA here, so play along :) :

It's very possible for a resident of an Olympic Games city to be proud of being part of the winning city. People are social beings, and we look to connect through others through common denominators (ie, being from the same city). At first glance, it may seem like a common resident may have had little to do with the negotiations and bidding for the Games, but as a tax-paying citizen who has paid and will pay for supporting infrastructure, and will in some way contribute to the enticing aspects of that city, that resident is very much involved in the identity of their town. A good city is made up of good people, is it not?

As far as history, I'm tempted to support your argument and say your city example is similar to your history example, but it is not. You have a choice in which city you live in and whether or not you want to be functioning part of that society. As far as history and skin color go, there is no choice, but to be a part of it. Skin color alone makes you a part of that soceity without question. If you'd said "heritage," I'd buy that. But not history.

You can say you're proud of your history, but my question was is it really possible to be proud of something you weren't involved in? As you know, simply saying something doesn't always make it so. I'll understand if you say you're happy for, admire, or have respect for your history. But to have pride in it? How is that possible?

Furthermore, it's not really your history, per se, either. Generally speaking, how much of it has to do with just wanting to associate yourself with African royalty, and saying, "Someone as dark as me did something great in the past?" Does that warrant you now being "proud" because someone that looked like you did something completely unrelated to you? What part do you personally have in someone else's historical achievements that you can hold stake to, and claim pride in today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm good, thanks for asking! :) What've you been up to?
    test
  3. sweet_I

sweet_I New Member

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I can not take your "challange" first, because I dont want to, second, because it would be impossible. Even if I knew everything about you its things you can't see. And I didn't mean that it was anything intentionaly by you or even by the other parties involved.
    test
  4. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

lol i love seeing yall debate shit lol
    test
  5. Sebastian

Sebastian New Member

Half Craka half nigga.........
    test
  6. KastrOGanxta

KastrOGanxta 152 AvE Kwik Stop Kid

'unofficial citizen' = no citizenship papers

u in a small town so i feel u, im from Miami so chicos and blacks get picked out. and sinse u put it the way u did, if u come from Canada, u flash a passport and drive into the U.S. Cubans gotta raft over here and GOTTA put both feet on land just to go to guantanimo bay which is basically lockup. Haitians gotta raft over here and not get caught period to stay here. so i feel you got a big up on me and my people...
    test
  7. ex0tik

ex0tik ~ ex0tik ~ u kno how i do

i'm very proud to be Trinidadian :)
    wouldn't want to be another race...ever.
    This is how God made me why would i want to change :)
    test
  8. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

You can be proud of a race for their accomplishments, even if it isn't your own race, for you share the human trait. It's just like when you're proud of your son for doing well. He did it himself, if mother's think that this happened because of the way that they raised their children, I think they're mistaken. That would mean they are proud of themselves, and not of their children, and are taking credit for their children's good deeds.

But this isn't about being proud of something, this is about being proud to be something, and that's where you and I have such trouble answering this question.
    test
  9. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

It's not argumentative because you can't prove me wrong. It is a disagreement because you're telling me that no matter what the fuck kind of life I live, as if me being a fucking white slave taken off the boat with the black people and being treated no fucking different than they were, that it wouldn't matter because I have white skin.

I wasn't trying to be uncivil when I made the challenge. It didn't matter to me whether you accepted it or not because I made it not just to you. It's for anybody. But for you to say that even if you knew everything about me, it's things I (or we?) can't see. Even if you can't see it, but it's there, you should be able to explain it.

The only idea I am able to grasp from what you just said is that God has given every white person a free ticket to Heaven no matter what kind of life they lead, and that no other races on Earth have been given this. If that's true, then you've ended my challenge. I'll gladly accept God's free ticket into Heaven and use my white priviledge to my advancement over all other races. Except I don't believe it to be true. I believe that would be closer to a Satan's lie.

I know that probably isn't what you meant at all, so please, an explanation.

I've said it a couple times now. This isn't a debate about whether white priviledge exists or not, nor is it a debate about whether white people do advance based on white priviledge. It's a debate about ME and whether I personally have ever USED WHITE PRIVILEDGE TO ADVANCE or to GAIN, BEYOND WHAT ANOTHER RACE CAN.

I've even given everybody a free pass to ask me any question they want about me before they even make a statement.

sweet, I don't care if you partake or not.... and I'm sure my words above were harsh, but that is seriously the only thing I can get out of what you're telling me. Because any other thing I've thought of that you could be telling me I believe I could disprove it.
    test
  10. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

And maybe I do, maybe I do. All my argument is, is that I don't feel I've ever personally used it to advance. I've never been out of Canada, I've never been out of the province of Ontario, let a lone driving into the U.S.

Does unofficial citizen mean that either you, or perhaps your parents had immigrated (illegally) or is it actually just because your Cuban or Haitian or what? I know the U.S. does not have a good relationship with Cuba and all that, no free trade or shit. But I can't say I know much about it at all. But yeah, U.S. does have some bad relations with countries, and I'm sure, even if Canada's relationships (with your people, not the United States) are better they might not even be the greatest always. Canada on does have free trade with Cuba. Things are complicated, huh.

But I am speaking of North America, I'm sure I'm not great at Geography at all so people might be breaking my claims easier than I expected. When I talk about living here their entire lives, I mean they were born here. I know Canada and the United States laws differ, I'm not so sure how a lot of American law works when it comes down to citizenship.

It would be pretty convenient to have some sort of list of laws, statutes, etc. that I could figure which ones should be included in this.
    test
  11. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

test
  12. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Notice how NONE of those definitions explicitly state "all white persons"? I know that it is implied with some of them.
    test
  13. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I don't care about race. I am very proud to be British though.

And no I wouldn't swap race, I just couldn't give a shit.
    test
  14. Dex P. LaMorte

Dex P. LaMorte New Member

The majority of this thread is fucking vomit-inducing.

Come on, LP. Think about it… that’s parasitic.

Why can’t people celebrate and take pride in their own god-given individuality rather than searching outside for some sort of narcissistic supply?

The NFL, NBA, MLB, etc have exploited man’s need to take stock in the achievements of other’s as some sort of extension of his own self-worth.

Racial pride has had no positive contribution to the world at all. When things are not productive, they should be discarded.

I wish the entire concept of race would be abolished.

I know that man is a fickle animal and this wouldn’t instantly dissolve all the racial conflict and injustice of the world, but it would be a step towards unity.
    test
  15. KastrOGanxta

KastrOGanxta 152 AvE Kwik Stop Kid

unofficial citizen meaning illegaly here or tryin to become a legal citizen. i feel were u commin from tho. maybe u havent used the skin color thing to advance in any way. if u did i dont think iit would even be wrong. im just sayin as far as i see its just a burden that me(as a immigrant) Has to live with on my shoulders
    test
  16. MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN

MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN Ray of Sunshine

I'm happy to be who I am and I'm happy to be a part of all the backgrounds that I am. If my ancestors were all sitting in a room together they'd probably try to hurt each other though..interesting how that works.
    test
  17. YOUNG_KEMETIAN

YOUNG_KEMETIAN New Member

Same here, I hate the way that we are portrayed though, arabs, and whites, stay lying about Egypt not being a black African civilization until the 25th dynasty. When our people are the ones that started the motha phucka.....
    test
  18. YOUNG_KEMETIAN

YOUNG_KEMETIAN New Member

Yes it is, because your ancestor's had a hand in it, and you are a portion of them....
    test
  19. samii so sexii

samii so sexii ..sunkist siren..

ok well in response to the whole "pride" thing in general...

I am proud of the historical accomplishments made by Blacks. I am proud of people like my Grandmother who struggled and overcame so much but still managed to provide an above average lifestyle for herself, her eight children, and her eight children's children, and their children.

Nothing in Black history was done by me. But I feel tied to it. That's where I come from. That is my background. I am still judged as an African American...not as an individual. Which is fine. Because I feel as if Black people have contributed so much, and worked through so much...for which I'm proud.

On top of that I just love everything about us. From the complexions of our skin, to our music, to the way we dance, and the way we cook...I love it all. If proud isn't the word you want to use, maybe it's happy...Be happy with what you are at the very least.
    test
  20. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

i often wondered what it would like to be black

never 2 be asian or hispanic though

im a super wigga, but for some reason i think ide still like to be white then black

but it would be cool to try out for a day

ide drop my fair share of n bombs that day *dont hate*
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.