how many grams of protein per day will help you gain weight?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Hardkore, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

right now i weigh around 140-145. i haven't worked out in a while, but i'mma probably start on monday. at the same time, this week i started drinking alot of protein drinks 'n shit like that. like, it'll be like this...

morning: drink soy protein chocolate mix with milk with 22 g protein in it.
    afternoon (lunch at school): drink protein shake with 15 g of protein in it.
    night: drink soy protein chocolate mix with milk with 22 g protein in it.

so that's almost 60 g of protein just by the drinks. i'm trying to eat alot of meats 'n shit, too. this weekend i'mma probably buy a bunch of protein drinks and drink a few of them a day to try to get my weight up. how many grams of protein a day do you think is enough for me to start gaining some weight and how much weight will i gain if i continue drinking and eating protein-rich type stuff?
    test
  2. BoDi

BoDi www.iambodirock.com

60 is a good start. you need to work out a lot with protein shakes. eat a lot (like 7 times a day or somethin like that). you gotta be consistent. protein doesn't JUST make you bigger. take it after ur workout especially.

getting bigger has much to do with: eating correctly, working out, and consistency.
    test
  3. p. haze

p. haze slap boxed with jesus

^You'll get bigger when you sleep if you do the right shit when youre awake.
    test
  4. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

At least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.
    test
  5. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

^ so...i should get 140 grams of protein per day?

7 protein shakes?
    test
  6. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

lol Don't have 7 protein shakes, have at a max 3. But yes, 140 grams of protein. Get most of your protein from chicken breasts, cans of tuna, turkey, egg whites, etc.
    test
  7. p. haze

He said ATLEAST 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

I'd recommend 1.5 to yield faster results.

You don't necessarily need all those protein shakes you can get lots of protein from lean meats like salmon, beef, grilled chicken, turkey breast etc and from diary products like eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese etc.
    test
  8. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

^^^^
    test
  9. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

firstly, all those protein shakes youre talking about will either A) just cause you to shit alot or B) give you terrible diarreah

a couple shakes a day is good (one maybe in the morning or thru the night and one right after training), and even THAT won't make you just magically gain weight.

you'll shit it all out if you aren't training.

you need to train along with it and give the protein somthing to do (aka rebuild muscle)

I personaly get about 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight and I get it from lean meats, carbs, some shakes, dairy, bars, etc.

try to concentrate more on the actual food aspect to gain weight by upping your carloric intake, a couple protein shakes, maybe even a weight gainer and I'm sure you'll start putting on weight.

just eat clean and train and it won't turn to all fat.
    test
  10. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

damn thats alot of protein i take 60 a day right after i work out (not including my food just the shake)
    test
  11. p. haze

You should eat it in intervals, your body CANT absorb all the protein in one serving. I think its about 50 grams a serving, more or less, depending on your size/
    test
  12. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

The bottle says 60 grams a serving.
    Then should I take it in the morning and then after I work out?
    test
  13. p. haze

How much is the serving per container? Probably not 1..

Drink half and then save the rest for later.
    test
  14. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

thanx guys for all the info.

i should be a lean, mean, fighting machine in no time! arghhh! *jumps out window*
    test
  15. Snikka

it's more like 20 grams that your body can take any time...
    test
  16. p. haze

I never heard 20.. that seems pretty low.

I heard about 40-50 range.
    test
  17. Snikka

try 40-50 a few times tomarrow... you're gonna hit the toilet. HARD.

I'm almost positive that if you kill over 30 grams, the majority of it will go to waste.

if I could take down 40-50 grams a sitting of pure protein, fuck, I'd get like 2-3 times my bodyweight per day easy.

i don't think i ever down that amount of protein at one sitting unless it's like meat and each slice is like 10 grams.
    test
  18. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

I really dont know if you need 140 grams of protien a day....unless your on roids and are entering a bodybuilding tournement or want to put on a serious amount of weight....

Ya then you would need to take 1 gram per pound.

I have a food scale I put my food on the digital scale and it calculates my portions everytime i eat...

I usually wake up and eat oats and egg whites and a cup of milk or juice -I eat alot of carbs in the morning to help me energize for the day and I taper of carbs at dinner...try to cut out carbs before bed and focus mainly on protien but never eliminate carbs from your diet.

I always take fish oil before working out I take fishoil and have an avocado and like 30 grams of almonds shake.

Its easy the best is to buy chicken and get some tupperware if your out alot try to buy a cooler to leave in your car so you can bring your lunch with you so you can just warm it up in the tupperware.

A typical meal for me is chicken baked! with brown rice and greens.

I recommend only to have fish 3 times a week max due to the high mercury and the fish of choice for me is baked salmon filets...and sushi fresh tuna rolls cause they are wrapped in rice for a fast and even amount of carbs and protien after working out.

I eat steak like 3 times a weak usually porter house...

before bed I eat peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich in wheat bread.... and a cup of milk.

On workout days Ill drink a myoplex or muscle milk ready to drink before bed it slowly digests.

I dont believe in waking up and eating in the middle of night because sleep is too important never break your sleep cycle an un interupted sleep cycle helps you grow....if you can go to bed early do so, so you can wake up early and start eating first thing in the morning...train yourself to sleep early and get up early with at least 6-8 hours uninterupted sleep.

if that doesnt work take melatonin 45 minutes before bedtime but dont lie down do something like play video games or type on the computer you have to make yourself tired or else it wont work it takes like 30 to 50 minutes to kick in.

Also a good thing is to jog on the treadmill or do jump rope for a good 5 to 10 minutes so your heart is pounding and the blood is flowing right before you eat fruits it helps the vitamins get thru your body better for more absorbtion.

and try to supplerment with CEE creatine...not monohydrate.

it takes a couple weeks before you see gains...but gains dont appear over night, also after every lift you should develop a postive self image be confident and look in the mirror and alwasy imagine your growing and flex your muscle alot it helps you have to develop a good imagination and feel like your growing...dont surrond yourself around negativity cause you know the mind is a powerful thing when it comes to bodybuilding a good mental state helps you stay focused.

oh ya if you can get one of those CASIO or TIMEX watches those cheap ones with a TIMER! on them and wear them they dont cost much if your ashamed to be seen with one on your wrist then put it in your pocket or get a timer stopwatch that beeps...you need this so after every meal you set the timer for like 3 or 4 hours and it will beep when you need to eat...its a good reminder so you dont spend all day waiting to eat...so you can do other things and focus and then hear the alarm and then eat.

it works wonders trust me.
    test
  19. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Smh...Don't up threads older than 30 days.

Make a new thread if you want.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.