How loud do u get when you rap?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Wird of Pley, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wird of Pley

Wird of Pley I Slice My Own Ham

I think my issue with vocal control and breath control is I rap loud as shit. Borderline yelling.

How loud do yall get when you rap?

I watched that jerk Cire rap and he raps much softer than I do.

I think that's one of my big problems.
    test
  2. Kraylen

Kraylen Killer Instinct Champion.

I noticed a big difference when I used to record like.. 6-7 years ago. Most of the cuts I spit were battled based, so naturally a little aggression and yelling came into play. On a song tip, I may not be as hype.... or if I record at 1 am with people sleeping. Apples and oranges really.. I think you might want to try creating music in a calmer setting just to see what happen. Couldn't hurt.
    test
  3. CoryPak

CoryPak Live Laugh Love

spitting loud should not really be an issue. you should be doing everything from yelling to whispering. it all has to do with how far away your mic is and how much reverb you are getting in the room that you are recording in. ya digg? make sure you are not recording in a room with flat walls and you should be in a semi tight spaced room. idk it all depends on your mic but you get the point.
    test
  4. WorldHipHop

WorldHipHop Carpe Diem

I rap fairly loud, but not yelling.... Almost speaking from a position of authority. Its definitely an art. Perfect your delivery, which usually means not just being loud, but emphasizing certain aspects of your vocals.
    test
  5. BullyBeats

BullyBeats New Member

Are you worried about your vocals clipping or just your style of rap? If it's the vocal try padding the mic input if you have that option and use a limiter when recording. I can't think of anyone that shouts all the time when they rap tho so maybe mix the shit up a bit
    test
  6. Drschmalzy

Drschmalzy Active Member

It all depends on the type of song... if its a chill back beat i'm relaxin if its an agressive be I be louder... if your worrying about ur vocal quality then you need to turn down the input or put a pad on like bully said or a limiter before recording... if its just you spittin and not being able to stay on beat cuz you too amped up losin breath than u need to work on that shit...
    test
  7. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

Yeah, it depends on the song, but if breath control is the main issue, work on projection exercises. Find a theater geek (like I was) and they'll teach you. This will also keep you from "yelling" when you just want to be louder. Noob problem, really. It's all about cardio and diaphragm control. In live performances, how you hold the mic and WHERE are also really important.

Now, sometimes I have to yell and scream because the song calls for something other than my normal voice. I cannot consistently do that, so I cheat and do a lot of punch-ins. But I will then practice daily to be able to spit those verses while moving around a lot on a stage mic until I can do it with one take easily for the sake of shows. Try not to ever write or record something you can never do in one take for shows.

Side note: too much yelling will fuck up your voice, do not do it unless it is absolutely necessary.
    test
  8. TrackMakerz

TrackMakerz TrackMakerz

As loud as the loud pack i'm blowing now!!!!!lolololo
    test
  9. ArtOfactz

ArtOfactz Immortal-Siccness

Yea; I know a few people that "Yell" into the mic when rapping, I for the most part have different approaches, depends on the MOOD, INSTRUMENTAL, SITUATION, whether it's just a TRACK i'm putting down or a battle track, depends on a lot of things in my case.
    test
  10. Venn MC

Venn MC New Member

I rap pretty loud myself not at yelling part but it can affect other aspect such as pronunciation and if your yelling you probably are running out of breath but like someone said earlier it's good to be diverse
    test
  11. Cassius tha god

Cassius tha god New Member

i raise my voice a tad..i bring it all from my stomache..im actually really good with my breathe control
    test
  12. QueenOfBeats

QueenOfBeats New Member

I get Loud when I rap but your supposed to. But you need to make sure that ppl can understand what your saying and that you can control your breathing.
    test
  13. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

control the breathing!! i hear some terrible breaths some times from certain rappers
    test
  14. DZK

DZK DZKonline.net

Recording loud is more about the sound ur going for.

Just make sure ur vocals are recording at like -12 db and not "hot" or it'll sound bad
    test
  15. capItal eyez

capItal eyez Member

To further Dzk's point your peaks should be -10/-12 db it should average around -18db
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.