how loud are your monitors when u mix??

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Syn 6, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. |Tech|

|Tech| New Member

I prefer to mix loud, low, medium; close to the speakers; from away from the speakers; in the kitchen...in a lot of areas -- I think listenin' at different levels - and areas- is very important. ...Thats why I said mixing low as just as important as many loud because, to my ears, you hear certain things differently, and sometimes even better, when you listen at different levels.

But it don't matter how you do it, as long as it sounds good... and hopefully you know what good sounds like... hehe...
    test
  2. XPENSIV

XPENSIV Xspenzo fucked your wife

140 decibels = Launchpad, 85 db = Screaming, 75 db = Talking, 20 db = You're an idiot. You can't hear that quiet. And what's his name didn't explain properly... 90db 1w/m = 90db of sound when measured with 1 watt of power at 1 meter IN A CONTROLLED ENVIROMENT. Now you're saying "There aren't any 1 watt amplifiers- thats impossible" The amount of power pushed to your speakers is relative to the volume control but a more accurate breakdown would be - a speaker that has a rating of 90db 1w/m would produce 90db of sound at 1 meter only using 1 watt of power (but that's quiet considering that you would almost have to have your head against them for it to be that loud)It would take another 100 watts to produce 10 more decibels, but to produce 10 more after that would take 1000 watts. 90 db is loud as hell if measured at your ear but if you measured from the source it would probably be around 3db louder- twice as loud - which it looses between the monitors and your ears.
    100 db would be cranked up like all the way 90 is probably somwhere around 1/3 to 1/2 volume (If you had 150w-250w monitors) - but that is too loud for mixing.
    test
  3. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

239 db = shutthefuckup no one cares ?
    test
  4. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

^ What he said.
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

0dB SPL is the raiting where its the lowest volume half the population can hear half the time

you CAN hear 20 dB

your using dB as a measure of sound intensity, as opposed to a measure of volume

there are different applications of the dB system, just like the decimal or imperial system of measurement, they can be applied to different situations differently

your probably refering to one of the two following calculations:

dB= 10 Log P/PR
    the equasion for power

or

dB= 20 Log P/PR
    the equasion for pressure level

given that the general reference is 0dB=0.775 Volts, we can calcualte the difference in intensity between two values

the intensity of a 90dB sound is going to increase as you get closer to the source, but the actual volume of the sound will remain constant

ie. theres someone talking to you at a distance of 3m, if you move so that they are 1m away, they will sound louder even if they remain speaking at a constant volume. this is due to the sound becomming more intense, not louder

any questions?
    test
  6. XPENSIV

Duke if you can hear 20db you've got brand new ears 40db is a light whisper
    test
  7. beatstarter

beatstarter New Member

mmm, all this theory makes for very interesting discussion...as much as i would like to add to this battle of audio theory, i think ill hold of untill tomorrow...im gonna borrow a spl meter from work...and do a bit of experimenting...that may clear some doubt in my mind!
    test
  8. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

can you hear the hum of your computer?

thats aproximatly 5-15 dB SPL, depending on the brand of your computer and the parts in it...

if you cant hear that, you have problems...
    test
  9. XPENSIV

You are an Idiot. Enuf said
    test
  10. PhelonLogik

PhelonLogik Street Pharmacist

I agree with arcane, ahhha, comp fan noise is around 5-10 dB...
    test
  11. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

yes, im an idiot

cause i recommend a Rode NTK to a kid who asks for a warm mic....

*sigh*

audible sound starts at 0 dB
    threshold of pain is 130 dB (the highest "safe" volume)
    soft tissue modulation can occur around 154 dB (ie. your eye can change haha)
    the atmosphere "clips" at 195 dB

nothing higher than 195 dB can be registered at the earths current atmospheric level

if the earths pressure increases, that amount goes up, if it decreases (ie, getting towards outerspace and out of the atmosphere)

a +3 dB change requires double the power

ie. if it takes 100w to produce 90 dB, then it will take 200w to produce 93 dB, 400w to produce 96 dB, 800w for 99 dB, 1600w for 102 dB, etc...
    test
  12. Internal Quest

Internal Quest New Jeru Stand Up

fuck dbs cause everyone hears different...so i say not too loud...mix at a level that dont hurt ya ears...
    test
  13. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

everyone doesnt hear different though...well, as far as dBs are concerned (in the general sense)

it does vary slightly from person to person, but not a whole lot
    test
  14. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

anyone who says anything besides 85 db are retarded, has anyone here heard of fletcher munson curves?? 85 db is the best place to mix, bcuz thats where you will get your flat frequency response

so to dead all this now

85 DB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    test
  15. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

^thats not necessarily true..

bob ludwig masters at like 60-65dB, as do alot of mastering engineers

theres alot of people that mix at different levels as well, depending on alot of factors (the track, how theyre feeling, the monitors theyre using, etc..)

85dB is just a good place to start at...if it seems to loud, turn it down, if you cant hear everything, turn it up...
    test
  16. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

^^ u were the only one i was agreeing with in this thread, and i know u know ur shit, and it is true, but for rookie engineers, they should def start out with 85 dB
    test
  17. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

agreed

just saying though, 85dB is only a reference point

dont want to give people the idea that its the only volume you should ever listen at haha
    test
  18. XPENSIV

How you gonna try to son me by rephrasing what I said? And I've never used an NTK so I don't know what tha fuck you are babbling about. Truth is mixing and mastering is all mathematical equations. If you are a math genius you could get it close without even listening, But you've got to understand sound and the way it reacts to the processes that it is put through. You probably don't know how to fix an out of phase track without destroying imaging. Do you know what "notching" is? Do you know how the Pro's get those tracks so loud without clipping? It isn't "LOUD" it's percieved as loud. I've downloaded all the sufficient cheat codes and can honestlt say that I'm probably the only person in oklahoma that actually knows how to master - I've been given more demo's/LP's/EP's/Singles then you probably own CD's. Only reason I offer to mix or master for so cheap is I'm unestablished -I.E. All my work has been for my camp- THAT I BUILT- But I'm 24 and I need to start doing this shit ffor other people to add to the credits to send to these labels. I'm probably the busiest person in Hip-Hop you could ever meet. I do the job of 15+ people. My title's are like producer/engineer/artist/performer/promoter/manager/lyricist/stage manager/P.I./CEO/you get the idea. I make damn near all the beats all the hooks and record, edit, mix and master everything- I have no help. This is a waste of my time. FUCK OFF
    test
  19. kniteshift

kniteshift That ain't my alphabet b

^
    producer/engineer/artist/performer/promoter/manager/lyricst/CEO that thought large dia's are for guys only?

I wouldn't get my shit mixed from you when someone gets a there ksm's confused.
    test
  20. XPENSIV

No what I said is you would use a large diaphragm to record vocals. What I didn't say was a small diaphragm would be more likely used to record Stringed or brass instruments, etc... Not vocals, Although 32's are nice for SOME female singers.

And what the fuck? Do you all just aim each other and say "Go talk shit in this thread"Or are you all the same Idiot with 456476857659 user names?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.