how loud are your monitors when u mix??

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Syn 6, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syn 6

Syn 6 back off hiatus

i've been told u dont wanna mix too loud cuz ur ears will exaggerate the frequencies ..

so how loud is too loud?

is like a quarter of the way up good when mixing with the 8.2's ??
    test
  2. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

As loud as they need to be.
    test
  3. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

my patchmix is set at -50, the volume switches on the back of my mons are at 50%

and its still pretty loud haha

the "professionally accepted" monitoring level is 85dB
    test
  4. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

uhhh....around 200dB is a shuttle take off

85dB isnt that loud

20db: studio for sound pictures
    30db: studio (speach)
    40dB: minimum levels- resident areas in Chicago at night
    50dB: private business, light traffic @ 100ft
    60dB: Large Store
    70dB: speech from 1ft away
    80dB: Pneumatic drill, inside sports car (50mph)
    90dB: Boiler Room
    100dB: Chainsaw, Electric Furnace Area
    110dB: Riveting Machine
    120dB: Jet Takeoff @ 200ft
    130dB: 50 HP Siren @ 100ft

Discomfort occurs @ aprox 118dB SPL, instant pain occurs @ aprox 140dB SPL

I think wherever you learned from was a bit off...thats straight out of Modern Recording Techniques, 6th Edition by David Miles Huber and Robert E. Runstein

oh yeah, typical home stereo system: 75-85dB

every 3dB increase equates to an aproximate doubling of volume, but seeing as how the decibel system is logarythmic, that isnt always the case
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

no, those are the correct numbers

the average concert is anywhere around 110-130 dB, depending on the sound tech ;) haha
    test
  6. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

heh, what precisely were you refering to then?

the reading that would be on a VU meter?
    test
  7. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

Well unless you have all that hi-tech shit, how you supposed to know how loud 85db is?
    test
  8. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

well, think about the average setting on a stereo (like 5 or 6 if it goes up to 10) and listen at aproximatly that level

basically you want a level loud enough that you can hear everything, but not too loud that it causes ear fatigue
    test
  9. KnightMere

KnightMere KnightMere

i keep my mons half way not to loud
    test
  10. PhelonLogik

PhelonLogik Street Pharmacist

What he said
    test
  11. beatstarter

beatstarter New Member

...alright,

dB readings are NOT fixed values...if you say something is '85dB' then it needs some sort of refrence value to indicate another level...what im trying to get across is that 'dB' measurements are RATIOS!!!! this all makes sense when you understand that these ratios are based on logrithmic scales...

once you guys understand this concept then the chart that arcane has is valid, assuming that the refrence point is 0dB and we refrence that figure to the threshold of hearing! not '0' as the name would suggest...because double of nothing would still be nothing...

so to sum up that point...'dB' its self has NO value...now you guys may have seen the terms used...dBu, dBm...etc...these letters next to a # mean something...only because the 'u' and the 'm' are pre-refrenced, dBm is ALWAYS refrencing a figure to 1milliwatt...so if we say the output of a mixers l and r outs are +20dBm, were actually saying the output of the mixer...=100milliwatts, how...the logrithmic scale...1X10,10X10=100... =100milliwatts...and so on

arcane you not accurate enough when you say +3dB is a doubling of volume...

+3dB is a doubling of apparant acoustic level, ooorrrr SPL...okay, now with that in mind a doubling of power at say the power amplifier stage will be represented as +6dB...again, when you blurt out figures they need to be described accuratly or they dont mean anything...

okay...

eyeo...now when your suggesting a '-' in front of those figures you need to understand that were discussing acoustic levels...real life waveforms...anytime you see a '-' in front of a figure your guarenteed that its making refrence to the velocity of a binary digit sample...the only time we will use -10dB or -56dB or anything with a '-' in front of it were refrencing to digital values or digital audio (although theres no such thing as digital audio but thats another story, for the sake of the discussion well say 'audio')...anyways, why? because 0dB is a refrence point in digital processing, and digital processing only...and whats the description of '0dB' the nominal level of max 100% clean undistorted audio ABOVE (<keyword) the noise floor in the digital domain!

now before anyone points it out, i relise i've contridcated myself...im sure someone will say 'but in acoustic audio if you set the refrence point of the threshold of hearing and assigned it a value of '-85dB' then using ratios above that figure to describe higher levels of SPL...etc etc', well yes thats true...but my information is universally standard in the audio world, and thats what makes it valid...
    test
  12. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

^bah, i didnt feel like 1) writing a shitload more and 2) getting all technical and whatnot

but yes, you are correct

the chart i posted is in reference to the threshold of hearing (aka 0dB by common standards) where half the population will be not be able to hear a given frequency half of the time
    test
  13. |Tech|

|Tech| New Member

But remember: Monitoring loud is just as important as monitoring low.
    test
  14. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

No it isn't, what the fuck kinda shit is that.
    test
  15. A-Twizzie

A-Twizzie New Member

your not suppose to moniter loud...it causes ear fatigue real fast...and your mixes will be off...and it also ruins your ear ;)
    test
  16. |Tech|

|Tech| New Member

You got expensive monitors and you actually think mixing low as not as important as mixing loud???????????

But anyway, I guess everybody got their own ways of doing things. lol...
    test
  17. |Tech|

|Tech| New Member

That, too. But you still can mix as loud as you can. We have hearing-aids available, so you can always go back, take a break, and put some on, to hear some more subtle artifacts that some will inevitablely hear :)

Oh, what the hell - everybody got their own ways of doing things. :):)
    test
  18. A-Twizzie

A-Twizzie New Member

^negatory.
    test
  19. |Tech|

|Tech| New Member

...About the hearing aid part? Oh - LOL...
    test
  20. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

everyones ears are different... mix loud enough so u can hear all the frequencies, but not loud enough so that it kills ur ears... im sure were all big boys and can figure that out after a few times using monitors. if the volume is too low, ur wont accurately hear ur bass, and if its too loud, ur hi's will be exagerated, its jus how your ears interpret sound, so, u have to find the sweet spot in between.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.