How intricate/complex of an art is sampling?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by 3ternal, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NonSenSE913

NonSenSE913 Active Member

Damn man, you can teach a man how to fish and hell eat for life lol. You gotta just play around and see what sounds best. Theres no real rules to how a beat should sound or be made. Mess around with the hi/lo/mid freq's of ur snares and layer other snares over until you get a snare ur satisfied with. You can have an 8 bit snare with 16/24/32 bit snares layered over it. Its all what sounds good to ur ears.
    test
  2. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

yep
    test
  3. Auditory

Auditory New Member

asking how complex of an art is sampling is like asking how complex of an art is drawing. U can draw a stick figure or you can paint full blown painting. Peep the latest track I put up to the myspace Auditory on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads "Eminem Kardashian" , I think its farely complex sampling. The beat is about 50% composed and 50% sampled. Samples were taken from 4 different songs if i remember correctly. So samples from 4 separate songs (each song having multiple cuts for a total of around 12 samples in the beat) and composition
    test
  4. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

yea but I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel. I prefer using existing knowledge and expanding it further rather than re-figuring out techniques that were perfected in the 60s.
    word, I will do that, probably gonna mix a lo-fi snare with a compressed hi-fi and see what happens

thanks for the advice
    test
  5. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

I recognize that sample

I heard it hear SoundClick artist: ONEBEATSOURCE - page with MP3 music downloads and somewhere else

I'm surprised you were able to use that many samples and have it not sound like shit, I imagine some of them were percussion samples, some bass, some melody etc.
    test
  6. Auditory

Auditory New Member

test
  7. NonSenSE913

I know what ur trying to get at with the 60's reference but you really gotta play around with ur equipment and see what YOU can do with it. Ive been messing with beats for over 10 years with nobody teaching me other than what Ive found out from other cats on here and other places as far as mixing goes. You just have to experiment and come up with what sounds best to you is what Im saying. Make some beats, burn em and give the cds to ur friends and people u meet...Then take their critiques and improve from there. Thats the best way to find the best mixes for ur beats. Ive gotten the best advice on mixing from people that have no idea how a beats put together....They just say something like, "I dont like this sound here or this sounds too loud" Then you go back and find a way to make those sounds sound right. Music isnt perfect and never should be.
    test
  8. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

I got tons of ideaz on what to sample for Beats....but the thang is ....I don't want to be a Sampler Producer......I love to build my own foundation from the ground up...

IMO...I think we have enough sample producers out there already....

We need more bad azz Producers that can compose...and very consistent with his shyt...

Make Boyz Wanna Sample Yo Shyt.....

BKster
    test
  9. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

Nothing wrong with sampling killa man.

I compose and do that, and try to satisfy everyone..

But nothing wrong with sampling dude at all
    test
  10. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

I never said that there was something wrong with sampling...I can tell you took it the wrong way...

I don't plan to ever sample any record...

I want niggaz to sample The BKster....

BKster
    test
  11. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

man you need to dig more dude.

heres s many sick samples out there man
    test
  12. NonSenSE913

I sampled from one movie and made about 39 beats. You can sample anything from the isley brothers to david axlerod to guns n roses to a squeeky noise you make rubbing ur hand across the tub floor. Its all how you flip those sounds though. You can loop and leave the sample just like it is or you can take that sound a morph it into something else completely. I think I could sample one of ur soundclick tracks and turn it into something completely different.
    test
  13. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Now if someone does that...then thats being Creative...Thats Composing Also...Sound Design to be exact....I'm down for that....

I'm talking about just throwing a Sample in a Beat without not doing to much too it...

I do heard some Beats made with Industry Song Sample that never should have been attempted...

No Bullshyt....

BKster
    test
  14. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

u know how many classic hiphop tracks have samples just looped?

some times its better to loop then chop into a hundred pieces.

what ever sounds hot= hot.

Just blaze looped alot of shit.

timbo.

even alchemist.

etc
    test
  15. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

kanye west loops the hell out of samples too

much much more too
    test
  16. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

ghostface is known for taking loops. and just looping em.. adding no drums.. no bass.. no snares.. hats.. or ne thing.

just spits to it like it is.
    test
  17. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Yea there are some throw'd as Beats with Real Song Samples just loop over and over...and then they just build around it....I never stated that there are not....

I also agree that its better to just loop a sample rather than chop it up in pieces....The Beats made with Sample Pieces be the main ones Trash....

BKster
    test
  18. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

i feel u though... i mean, u shouldnt always have tracks with just samples looped and no drums..

I've been sampling for 8 or so years man.. I've flipped any type of song u could imagine.. soul reggae rock doo woop chinese music tribal music.. soundtracks.... ochestra shit..

shit from 60s-70s 80s.. 90s.. 2001 2003 etc...

shit from cartoons... tv shows... shits limitless man...

I've flipped shit so many ways... from simple loops.. to using like 8 parts of one song and
    getting creative with it....

there's a lot of ways u can flip a sample
    test
  19. NonSenSE913

Yeah, sometimes a sample is just toooooo nice to chop so you have to loop it and just enhance it with the drums and other sounds. Most mcs I mess with want a 2-4 bar sample just looped with some 808's added beneath the sample.

I like to sample some wack shit sometimes and just chop the living shit out of it.....Create like 4 different programs from the same sample and layer the different sounds over one another in the mpc. Ive been able to come up with some creative ass shit from some garbage samples alot of the time. Its like sparring for boxers. It just improves ur skills when you get the easy samples to flip. Cause most of the time an mc will come to you with a well known song to flip into a beat and that practice makes it that much easier.
    test
  20. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

non I still remember the beat u did with the total eclipse from the heart sample.

i liked that shit haha. I know its old as hell but i liekd that
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.