How important is a good soundtrack / score for a film to be successful...

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by MadVillain413, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In my opinion, the score of the film is as important as the plot and acting...

for me it would be about 75 percent for importance...

what's your view on this?

Films that would not be nearly as recognized without a good score:

Almost Famous (hell the movie WAS the soundtrack)
    Back To The Future
    Jaws
    Jurassic Park
    Lord Of The Rings
    Saving Private Ryan
    Sleepy Hollow
    The Excorsist (original)
    The Shining
    Usual Suspects

I'm biased towards John Williams, but only because he is an amazing composer...

drop some thoughts on this...

had to edit my post to shead light on a brilliant soundtrack that made the movie:

"Fight Club"

Pitt and Norton were amazing in this film, but the dust brothers really were the entire movie to me....the soundtrack is so mysterious and mesmerizing...
    test
  2. Cane

Cane Guest

back to the future would've been what it was without the score.

but as for the topic title, i think we've hit the point where the generla public is so jaded and preoccupied with the direct norm in movies-the picture, maybe the sounds of things exploding, and that's it. i think audio is more important to games now than to movies-but a good score or composer working on a movie can do wonders. for example-man on fire; i wouldn't have had the interest to watch this almost cookie cutter movie without harry gregson-williams, who might i add is a fucking genius.

movies like the godfather and lord of the rings would've survived without the audio, but the scores really gave these movies legs.

i don't think it's entirely important because the general public can't appreciate it for however many reasons you feel like describing, but it definitely helps.
    test
  3. kyza soza

kyza soza This way up.

It's important, but definately not AS important.
    test
  4. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

network and dog day afternoon were great movies with no scores. however, i couldn't imagine psycho being anywhere near as affecting without bernard hermann. disney would be dead if it weren't for tim rice and alan menken's music in the early 90's. james newton howard made the village a watchable movie with his score. i don't think the general public would want to watch a film without a score these days. i would guess that the public would basically decide that no score basically = tv. i can't think of a movie since network with no music, so can somebody name some please
    test
  5. Cane

Cane Guest

^the blair witch did incredible without any music, let alone a score.
    test
  6. Psycho69

Psycho69 A Soul Born In Verse

Just as I saw the title of the thread, I thought the same as what your first sentence stated.

I find it to be as crucial and important as the actual acting.

Score music is really important, regardless of what some people may think... you may not even completely notice it, but it really can make a movie for what it is...
    test
  7. The_MRB

The_MRB infiltrate your border

75% FUCK NO! thats some hard shit u smoking

however i do agree its im portant probably about 15% don't forget taxi driver when talking about scores
    test
  8. yo momma

yo momma New Member

Space Odesey 2000 or what ever.

That had no acting or score.

Cult classic.
    test
  9. jesus chris

jesus chris are you serious?

have you even seen the movie?

movies are 51% sound, 49% movie.

everyone that worked on star wars thought it was a complete joke until john williams got ahold of it. aside from the score, it has the best sound design ever.
    test
  10. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

scores are the backbone of many films....i think it all depends on the genre of the film......and its true what was said...most people dont give a shit......only those who truely appreciate the art of film making or for one enjoy music to that extent...will enjoy and understand why a good score/soundtrack is vital in enveloping the viewer INTO the film
    test
  11. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

There is a huge difference between a score and a soundtrack.
    test
  12. jesus chris

jesus chris are you serious?

it's true.

soundtracks are just marketing tools.

i fixed my mistake.
    test
  13. Tequila Kinte

Tequila Kinte New Member

Its hard to think of a classic film that doesnt possess a classic score.
    test
  14. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

not if it's a cameron crowe film
    test
  15. deathB4dishonor

deathB4dishonor The Frontline Family

fight clubs music is so good i have the whole thing on cd... it would have been good with all just dust brothers music but the pixies song at the end was perfect too mad good movie script wise too but the music makes it.
    test
  16. Word...I'll never get tired of listening to that ST...so ill....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.