how exactly do rappers make money off their albums?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Hardkore, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

seriously most rappers dont have as much money as people believe they do, most of the time the cars, chains, n all that glamour shit is borrowed just for the video. Sometimes rappers are given chains n things to wear just to keep up their image but it isnt theirs. I've heard it multiple times from different rappers, producers, execs that if a rapper uses his money wisely on an album and doesnt run off with the advance money and buys shit like a dumbass...he / she on average will break even with the cd making expenses if the album goes gold...but that's on average, like i said some people are stupid with their money

most money is made off of touring, shows, n all that

and LMAO @ Mc Dookie hahaha that shit had me rollin'
    test
  2. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Your all idiots. Rappers make LOTS of money off albums. If your platinum anyway. Most times when you go platinum you get a million dollar bonus for that alone.
    I dont really care enough to respond to that idiot dios though. But if rappers aint make money off albums, how Lloyd Banks and Young Buck just bought 2.5 million dollar cribs...off touring? lol they got no touring power without 50 cent.

YOUR ALL MORONS
    test
  3. Abra Kadabra

Abra Kadabra My Alias

Producers get their money faster than rappers

I would only sign a major deal if the money was right
    test
  4. vandalism

vandalism the king

gettin back to what's important in this topic

MC Dookie will SHIT on you
    test
  5. Abra Kadabra

Abra Kadabra My Alias

if I was in a toilet

MC Dookie rhymes with cookie which I eat and the cookie turns to shit which comes out my ass
    test
  6. $(*H20*)$

$(*H20*)$ Guest

fuck mc dookie i'll battle that niqga for his advance
    test
  7. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

the n*gga posted a link from a guy who worked on a famous band's album and he posted up another link. you're just rambling with what you think, not what you know. post up a link saying n*ggas make a dollar an album, which is not true, unless they own their label.

young buck and lloyd banks also get money from their clothes, from touring, and from other little things.
    test
  8. *DowntownStar*

*DowntownStar* ____________________

^^^ truth.

the whole thread was about how rappers make money off of ALBUMS meaning off their record deals. publishing deals, touring, merchandising, hollywood sountracks, track leasing to advertisers, and crosspromotion have nothing to do with record sales so i left them off.
    test
  9. jazONYCluv

jazONYCluv you gangsta's cosmetic

^^^ so true
    test
  10. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

Alota rappers get payed off of publishing and radio spins. 50 cents on the billboard top ten 4 times. Alot of those songs get played at least once per record show so thats like at least six plays a day (24 / 4 = 6). Thats just one station. I know my area has 3 hip-hop stations and 3 Top 40 stations that will spin it that many times. You start doing the math and you're talking about millions of plays a week per song. 50 writes gets a royalty per spin on that.

He's eating better off of radio spins than some people are probally making off of tours, radio and album sales combined. Plus he writes hooks for most of G. Unit (whenever you see C. Jackson in the booklet, but he's not rapping on the song).
    test
  11. blockburner23

blockburner23 New Member

How do rappers get money off of radio spins? What did Master P do exactly to change the game?
    test
  12. d-rell

d-rell New Member

No.

Most of the exchanges you've mentioned, go on whats called a balance sheet kidd.

A LOAN is not an expense, it is a LIABILITY. In this particular case, it is a liability account called either (Accounts Payable || Notes Payable) and The Cash account is debited.

Expenses are mostly expired assets. So all of the following you've stated from that point are inaccurate concerning the financial state of MC Dookie and the record label.

and F.Y.I

the summary of a real Income State would read like this:

Revenues
    Less: Cost of Goods Sold
    Equlal: Gross Margin
    Less: Expenses
    Equal: Net Income

Liabilities are not included in an income statement, thats basic GAAP principles.

~1~
    test
  13. L'DAWG da PIMP

L'DAWG da PIMP New Member

yo oz, u aint know shit about shit....only the kats who own they labels have high rips and make money off they albums...but they make hella money off tours, merchandise, and other endorsements and business ventures. BOTTOM LINE....STEP YO GAME UP!
    test
  14. jinks

jinks Soy tu oportunidad!

congratulations youve just fallen in the diplomats trap. and unluckily for you. you have a few cds to use as coasters
    test
  15. roproacle

roproacle New Member

Working At Home?

[​IMG]
    Make Money At Home With Your Own Business!!
    Now is the perfect time to start your own business at home! While GM may be going into bankruptcy, companies like Amway and Avon aren't! Home based business are as big as ever, and are even more popular!

If you are looking for a way to make $100-$600 a day working from your home, you need to check us out. It's easy, and you can start making money today!

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE!
    test
  16. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

I wasn't going to say it, lol. Financial and Managerial Accounting were probably two of the most boring classes I took as an undergrad, but having a solid honest accountant would be essential to having a successful financial life when dealing with sums of money this large.
    test
  17. HarshZ

HarshZ no time for this bullshit

wow who upped this?

good thread
    test
  18. realtalk101

realtalk101 Patriots>>>

id hate to c the income from groups.i know da band aint make shit
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  19. nappyjim

nappyjim Active Member

cam makes $900 off every album sold. he is a billionaire

seriously though, I remember watching VH1 "TLC Behind the Music" and Left-eye broke it down and was like, "ok, heres how you can sell 5 million records and still be broke".
    test
  20. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

yea, tlc had an awful deal......one thing i noticed was dios said that the label can take everything......that is not true, the label cannot try to recoup album costs through anything non-album or contract related.......a label takes the risk of loaning an artist the money for an advance......often, it is never recouped and the artist is in debt to the label.......this is not being in debt to the government, an artist can still recieve income from publishing while owing the label........

dios explained it pretty well though, of course there are a trillion other things that arise.......
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.