how exactly do rappers make money off their albums?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Hardkore, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. !ron HorSe

!ron HorSe New Member

Rappers usually satrt making big money after there 2-3 album unless there first was a BIG success
    test
  2. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Lastly a 250,000 advance is not an expense.

Thats 250,000 dollars the label is giving you, its like a loan. It takes time to make a record and thats your money to live on. Just because you have to pay it back, dont mean it wasnt a profit. Rappers STILL spend that money, on what they want. They could get no advance, and see that 250k after the record sells....its the same thing. PROFIT.

Rappers make more off albums then people let on to. But for some rappers touring is more profitable, cause you can do a 20k show every night if you have somewhat a big name. I know 50 and Jay-Z charge 100k a show.
    Most rappers dont use that many BIG name producers anyway. Not even Jay-Z. Nios post is the biggest load of shit I ever read.
    test
  3. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

^^ most girls get $200-$500 for being in a video

and bet and mtv broadcast the videos for free

it's their content, they dont charge for that

u think kelsey grammer paid nbc to broadcast fraiser??
    test
  4. OrtizDupri

OrtizDupri then you gotta BREATHE

He said $100,000 per beat for 9 beats, which is fairly accurate.

And they don't get their 200K up front, most of it is points towards the album which they get back when it sells.
    test
  5. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Game is a new rapper and he was getting 4 quarters to every album he sold. I remember 50 saying that shit, cuz he was talking about he was getting 5 from every album.
    BOOM right there Game made 1.7 million.

Mufuckas do endorsements and cameos and shit too.
    test
  6. !ron HorSe

!ron HorSe New Member

lolololol
    test
  7. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Im pretty sure they pay for beats up front, why would you let someone else get points off your album?
    But Timbaland wouldnt do 9 beats for anyone that wasnt on his label. Now if you happened to be on his label, he is gonna charge you minimum for them beats, because since your on his label he wants you to be a success.
    test
  8. OrtizDupri

OrtizDupri then you gotta BREATHE

Well if the label makes you get a guest producer...

It's not like you have creative control over your own album. Or that you control who gets points, considering you're only getting like 1 or 2 at most.
    test
  9. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Exactly. If your getting 1 or 2, someone who produces a song isnt gonna make an equal or greater amount off your album than YOU are.
    test
  10. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Rappers usually get 2-5 cents off of every Album Sale. The highest ever was JayZ @ 11 cents, but don't forget JayZ owned his label. Rappers don't make money off of sales, but off of shows. Back in Chicago one of my shows I'd be luck to get $100 - $150. Thats actually excess. Here in Dubai I make about $300. It depends on where the rapper performs. BTNH make a lot off their shows, why? Because they are good performers and are almost always sold out. Most of the money is made on Shows. Believe me when I say that. A rapper doesn't make jack shit on sales, its all shows, promotions, and endorsements.

Pz
    test
  11. *DowntownStar*

*DowntownStar* ____________________

why is it people who have nothing to say always wanna argue?

LMFAO @ 900 thousand for a Timbaland beat. HIGHLY inaccurate. Most rappers that say they charge 200k for a beat are lying as well.
    i said 900Gs for 9 beats. do you fucking read? timbaland is in the 50-100G category. i put all of the producers at 100Gs, even dre because 100Gs per beat is top tier. that's what you're going to pay, especially if the ngga don't know you from adam and you say you can afford it. then again, anyone who's stupid enough to spend their advance money on cars and bitches is stupid enough to front $100Gs for each of 11 beats like in my example.

Just so everyone knows, Dios one of them guys who thinks he knows what he is talking about, but really just chalked up A WHOLE LOT OF BS.
    that's you. but anyways.

Rappers make lots of money off albums or they wouldnt put them out, simple as that. Its their main function of income for most.
    it's a lot of broke rappers. believe that.

Independent rappers like Cormega are making 6 bucks a pop on an album. Jim Jones did the same, so whoever says he makes money selling crack is a fucking fool. Jim Jones sold 180 thousand and made more than most rappers with that.
    cos mega is completely independent and jim jones is signed to koch. they have low overhead and start to recoup on only 8,000 to 25,000 albums. on a major label budget you have to sell 10 times as much to recoup because they charge higher overhead.

$50,000 for ki toy
    $50,000 for gloria velez
    $50,000 for vida guerra
    $250,000 for mtv to play his videos
    $250,000 for bet to play his videos

More idiotic statements. A model charges 1k to 2k tops for a fucking video. Thats why you never see the same ones in more than 3 or 4 videos, cause they cant get their price up. It aint hard to find hot girls to shake their ass for rappers. Id be surprised if alot of them didnt get paid at all.

first of all, i used that as a simplified example. second of all, the famous models do not work cheap/free. only chickenheads do.

It dont cost no quarter million dollars to get a video played either. I dont think it cost anything. smh. If that was the case NO new artists would have videos, and people like Common couldnt afford one either.
    common is signed to a major, and common wouldn't make an expensive video cos he is intelligent and spent years in the underground so he knows what's up. for people who have no money sense, a video can cost anywhere from $400,000 to over $1 million EASILY. some of these rappers would shoot videos on the damn moon if they could get up there. getting regular spins on all media formats is VERY expensive, especially to get a video added into regular rotation. and yes, the media outlets do charge under the table. it's called payola. do you seriously think the pd just randomly picks nelly or 50's video to come on 5 times a day? use your fucking brain for once.

Rappers usually satrt making big money after there 2-3 album unless there first was a BIG success
    depends on their deal. some never make money, others make a little, others hit it big and make a lot but that's rare. usually the record company increases the budget after blockbuster smashes so a rapper has to sell more records the next time to make the same amount of money. eventually the artist either gets out of their deal or goes into debt to the label.

Lastly a 250,000 advance is not an expense. Thats 250,000 dollars the label is giving you, its like a loan.
    a loan is an expense. you have to pay it back with interest. actually, it's a liability on a balance sheet, but i put it on the income statement as income, so it's considered an expense.

i'd love to get your signature on a contract. you'd owe me money forever.

Rappers make more off albums then people let on to. But for some rappers touring is more profitable, cause you can do a 20k show every night if you have somewhat a big name. I know 50 and Jay-Z charge 100k a show.
    most rappers don't make shit on record deals. it wasn't until hustlas like master p and cash money got put on that rappers really started getting paper.

Most rappers dont use that many BIG name producers anyway. Not even Jay-Z. Nios post is the biggest load of shit I ever read.
    what type of crack are you smoking? jay (like most commercial rappers) has at least one big name producer on every album he ever did. please pull your head out your ass and pay attention to reality.

^^ most girls get $200-$500 for being in a video
    most girls aren't ki toy, gloria velez, or vida guerra.

And they don't get their 100K up front, most of it is points towards the album which they get back when it sells.
    that's how it usually works. for a top producer like neptunes, jazze pha, storch, dre, hi tek, timbo, or cool&dre, you see about $25-100Gs per beat sliding scale, plus points (a percentage of artist's or label's profits on record sales depending on the deal). some producers are famous for not asking points because points are a bitch to collect on from labels and most producers want to get paid right away.

Game is a new rapper and he was getting 4 quarters to every album he sold. I remember 50 saying that shit, cuz he was talking about he was getting 5 from every album.BOOM right there Game made 1.7 million.
    game is earning his 11% just like i said. a lot of the beats on game's album were beats 50 didn't want for the massacre. that's why 50 gets like 15 points on game's album while game himself only gets 12. 50 was pimping game hard but it still works out for game because he went platinum and his next album will be under dre so it all works out.

Im pretty sure they pay for beats up front, why would you let someone else get points off your album?
    because you get more commission when you do a points system. if you charge $60Gs for a beat but don't have points, and that album sells 6 million, you only made $60Gs. but if you charged $60Gs plus 5 points after recoupment @ 250,000 units and the album sold 6 million, you'd make $60,000 + 5% of 11% of the album's $57.5 million profit margin, or $31,625. the album keeps selling and the label sends you your money. if you do this with 10 platinum rappers and crossover R&B stars, you're a millionaire. the math is simplified but you get the picture.

But Timbaland wouldnt do 9 beats for anyone that wasnt on his label. Now if you happened to be on his label, he is gonna charge you minimum for them beats, because since your on his label he wants you to be a success.
    you pay timbo what he charges and he'll give you all the beats you want. it's just that most people can't afford him and his waiting list is very long.

Or that you control who gets points, considering you're only getting like 1 or 2 at most.
    technically, artists get an average of 11 points off of record deals (most get much less but it averages out to 11 points) which goes back to my 11% in my example.
    test
  12. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

^ illlll breakdown.
    test
  13. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

Trick Daddy dosen't tour.
    test
  14. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

Good thread yo
    test
  15. GANNONDORF

GANNONDORF styrofoam elijah

LMAO

producers are eatin right now.. heavy

damn
    test
  16. noreaga

noreaga New Member

can someone explain to me what's the point of having your own record label like roc a fella records ?
    test
  17. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

^ if you're a rapper who owns your own label, you make most of the money.
    test
  18. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

eh, i know record companies don't make $10 dollars an album. they sell it to retailers for just a small amount, and the retailers make the most profit.
    test
  19. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

dios, you should start your own label or become an A&R u know what you're talkin about kid. keep it up

pz
    test
  20. PrOFouL

PrOFouL New Member

Hold up, if a producer wants to give a beat to a rap artist, wouldn't the price of the beat become cheaper? I know a rapper has to have some kind of benefit besides the beat, or else I wouldn't even waste my time or money for a beat I didn't ask for that I still have to pay full price for.

If you're skillful, you should look-up some unknown producer that got skills not only because of the cheap price but to bring'em up rather than keep using the producers who are already privileged.

What is the list the rapper must have in order to have a career.

Distribution(to duplicate and put records in stores?)
    Label(To label your album and promote you by advertising and so on?)
    Production(Productions for your music)
    Management(A person who's in charge of the artists career?)
    .........................?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.