How Effective Is Parrying?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Crates, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Has anyone practiced this method of blocking? How effective is it against someone throwing fast hard punches? If you've practiced this were you able to catch/parry most of the punches?

[youtube]SyWPKiyHvzE[/youtube]
    test
  2. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i box. its very effective for avoiding punches with minimal effort and counterpunching. but you dont just use it alone you combine it with all defensive techniques.

yes i am able to parry most of the punches. compare this to how when you were a little kid and someone would try to grab your food and u just tossed there hand to the side with minimal effort. not the same exact thing but same theory. very easy to do with a little practice. good video
    test
  3. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

One thing that got me interested in parrying is that in Bruce Lee's book The Tao of JKD he mentions how he preferred parrying to traditional arm blocks.
    test
  4. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

if by traditional arm blocks you mean the way the karate kid blocks punches, then yea bruce would be right. I suggest you put on some gloves watch this vid one more time and try for yourself
    test
  5. ShaolinCritique

ShaolinCritique New Member

in thai boxing parrying is good to block the push kick or "teep" but most of the time at least for me, i prefer slipping theres just more options after a slip than parry. though parrying a jab down and countering with a over hand right is always rewarding though this could be my fault because i always like to get out of the way or pivot counter, this could be a fault to be honest or a bad habit of mine, maybe i should parry more hahahaha.

in boxing i notice parrying is used more often and more effective. this could be because boxers are just all around better with their hands.
    test
  6. Noodles

Noodles The People's Champion

rampage is one of the best at parrying, tito ortiz is one of the worst.
    test
  7. bgreen

bgreen Active Member

That guy got more vids?
    test
  8. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Are there any particular Rampage fights we can checkout to see him do this?
    test
  9. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

thing about a straight block, is that strength is an advantage to either combatant.

if say the punch was super strong, a weaker mans block will just get crushed.

and vise versa
    test
  10. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

^^^what are you talking about?
    test
  11. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

I've used a version of this method for years,and the version that I use allows you to bob n weave and NOT get kneed. This method is very effective. Against hook punches to the body,you can simply block with your elbows without dropping your hands from your face.The admonition to NEVER drop your hands to catch a shot isn't as ironclad as it may appear; once you learn the rule of never dropping your hands? You learn how and when to break it.When I reach down and parry shots I flow into the shell defense and merge the whole thing with footwork. Since I'm only 5'7",blocking punches with my elbows against 6 footers doesn't always prevent them from still being able to reach my body due to the sheer lenght of their arm,or sometimes I start my block late due to some sneaky combo of grappling striking and feints used by my savvy opposition,so I scoop their strikes away and flow into Floyd Mayweather's Shell Defense in the process.
    test
  12. DethStryque

Rampage actually uses a variant of what's called "The Crazy Monkey Defense".
    test
  13. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

what u are describing is very advanced striking that i rarely see in mma. its hard for me to exactly picture how the shell defense can be properly like mayweather does used in mma without u going in more detail bcuz of how easy it would be to take someone down. personally im a boxer but i am familiar with mma. so how do u merge the shell defense with footwork?
    test
  14. JesusIsTalking

JesusIsTalking New Member

^^I trained both aspects of boxing and mma, philly shell is ineffective with mma rules, it may work against less experience guys but it won't against high level wrestlers or strong traditional Muay thai guys. I could go into details why but quick example is James Toney.

As for the guy who created the thread...Parrying punches is very common in any variation of striking.

The way he is showing how to parry jabs and straights is what I do a lot and is highly effective against it when you start getting your opponents rhythm, timing and distance down which is great set ups for counters.

Your wondering if its effective against a hard/fast punch? Well it doesn't matter, your pushing the momentum away and avoiding impact which doesn't involved much energy at all parrying away. Its fairly a basic blocking technique actually, the advance stuff is what you plan to do after with it and the variations of parrying using footwork. So don't listen to that dude who thinks the stronger guy will crush the weaker guys block.

Go watch Frankie Edgar's most recent fight for examples.

What i don't do in the video is how he blocks those hooks.The only time would use it is block and step in for the clinch like he also shows in the video. Its too much a liability of the opponent still connecting, this is why Bas Rutten says its alot safer to slip out of the way of the hooks.

When it comes down to it, parrying punches is not hard, long as you practice and put in the ring time where it becomes your muscle memory, its pretty much my natural instincts now when someone throws a jab or a straight.
    test
  15. DethStryque

While I like much of what this post says,there is a common misperception about the Shell Defense method that is quite easily effective against every variant of MMA striking (I'm a MT coach and practitioner and competitor too) and grappling (I hold a black belt in judo,rank in bjj,black belt in hapkido,and I've cross trained with MMA wrestling standouts like Antonio McKee,and I practice wrestling). The short answer is that if you apply the Shell Defense properly you will see that it is very easily modified for MT (just practice it,you'll have it inside of a week) and you can clinch pummel and sprawl very easily from the Shell as you could from anywhere else. In my Gym I train my guys to defend against eye gouges,multifights,from the seated position,kneeling,prone,I train my guys to apply rescue,escape,rescue and escape methods,defense vs all targets including groin strikes and weapons including firearms,I've modified our stance so that it is different than what you see in MMA guys (who don't have to worry about these things),and our stance facilitates the use of pretty much any functional defensive or offensive method.

The footwork that we use is a hybrid blend of total movement. You can see kali,boxing,fencinc and fighting capoeira footwork (the kind of capoeira which is almost never seen,a sportified version of which Anderson Silva showed in the cage already) in our primary footwork because we use it. Truthfully,real capoeira includes all of these methods of footwork,but that's another issue that I won't get into because most people have no operational knowledge of capoeira and Brazil's history but think that they do.Lol.
    test
  16. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i wish you would get into more detail because im still a lil confused on how you merge the shell defense into mma. im not at all familiar with capoeira. i am familiar with boxing as i am a boxer. as far as fencing i am only familiar with the "intercepting hit" as described by jeet kune do but thats it. perhaps u can make another thread since this is already completely off topic and punch more advanced than a simple parry between experienced fighters
    test
  17. DethStryque

I will put up a video of me doing this very thing in about a week or two. It's really VERY EASY TO DO,lol.Check out my youtube page: ATACXGYM's Channel - YouTube. I have alot of videos up and the upcoming videos where I display the martial arts modified Shell Defense will be there too. Subscribe (for free of course) to my Channel and you'll see it and you'll be able to see lots of other videos of mine up there too.

The short answer to using the Shell in martial arts...not just MMA which is a sport but MARTIAL ARTS SELF DEFENSE...is that you modify your stance to be more mobile,more angular,and present your legs less for kicks weapons etc which actually facilitates not only the sprawl but the sprawl variants.

As a boxer,you know the rolling use,the elbow use,the push-off,the "catch" of strikes with gloves,etc. for upper body attacks and how to break the clinch using the shell in boxing. Well,if you and your opponent are both in the orthodox stance,and your opponent throws a right high Thai kick? You can use the traditional two hand block of that kick combined with the Shell roll to block AND defend it at once. The push kick can be blocked by all the traditional methods,eluded if it's thrown to the face by exactly the same methods used to avoid the stick (the jab,especially "the shotgun jab"),and this includes catching the kick with the rear glove both Shell style AND Muay Thai style. I do it all the time.It's really not hard at all.Yes,you can dip under the kick and use your elbow to deflect the kick higher while countering low. I've used this very tech while executing a low sweep kick and I routinely drop guys. It's scarily easy to do.
    test
  18. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

good look. i checked your YT page. good shit
    test
  19. DethStryque

Thank you bruh! If you got YT? Please sub me mayne.
    test
  20. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

nah I aint got no page.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.