How do you read a dictionary? is there like ways to do so? like techniques? or what a

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by MisterEThoughts, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

How do you read a dictionary? is there like ways to do so? like techniques? or what any approaches? or thesaurus or rhyming dictionary?
    test
  2. Well, I dunno, I mean if you want to extend your vocabulary, get a theasaurus, and pick it up now and then. Try and use new words in your writing, and they will enrich your works. I would also adivise to read novels, and poems, as you will start to see patterns of how words are used mainly in which context. Read shakespeare, very elaborate language, or go see a play.
    test
  3. MisterEThoughts

ok thank you i will def try that out thanksss
    test
  4. iLL Script.

iLL Script. ~Poetic~

couldn't have said it better myself
    test
  5. glasspen

glasspen Brooklyn Bitch

yo, its crazy that you asked that question. I've been reading the dictionary since I was little and when I tell people that, they look at me like I have two heads. How I do It is, flip to any page and start reading from there. I have a dictionary next to my bed and when Im reading a book and come across a word I dont know I go looking for it then wind up reading some other shit.

Most of the time I forget the words because I live in the hood and we speak slang and I dont really get to expand my vocabulary around here. Cause as soon as you say a big word they think you tryin to act like you to good. But its good to read it you find shit out.
    like, every word that starts with NIG is a negative. hence the word ni99a because it is a word. And not to sound ignorant but Black means bad and white means good. There's a lot of racist shit in the dictionary.
    ^^I guess thats a little off the subject. 1
    test
  6. MisterEThoughts

thanks man soo much that covers plenty
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.