How do you organize your CD's?

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by identity-X, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

I'm seriously anal retentive when it comes to organizing my music. Anyone who has downloaded from me on Soulseek knows what I'm talking about.

I'm even WORSE when it comes to my actual CD's. Here's how I store them...

264 CD case holding all of my East Coast / Midwest rap CD's
    128 CD case holding all of my West Coast / Southern rap CD's
    128 CD case holding all of my non rap CD's
    64 CD case holding all of my Greatest Hits collections / compilations / soundtracks

Artists with multiple CD's are placed on the same page(s) in the order in which they were released

There are some cases where I group artists from the same city together. For example I have a section with different artists from Chicago, one with different artists from Detroit, etc.

With every CD I get I take out the liner notes and case liner and either throw the CD case away or if it's in good condition save it in case I'm selling something on Ebay that needs a case.

I place the liner notes in one of two rubbermaid containers in alphabetical order by artist (one is for A-M the other for N-Z). CD's by the same artist are, again, put in chronological order.

Is this overkill? Should I seek help?
    test
  2. identity-X

test
  3. hand jive

hand jive New Member

it varies but heres how i do it a seperate section for tapes, vinyl and cds

first split up albums/eps and singles

then in each section it goes in alpabetical order: compliations, compliations mixed by someone, a djs actual mix cd, Compliation groups ( groups that don't record together but have albums such as thewu-tang killa beez),groups (including duos with a collective name), partnerships such as duos as eric b and rakim and groups such as grandmaster flash and the furious five, then solo artists

non- hip hop and hip hop are seperated

i also have different sections for burned, freebies, proper and bootlegs

the way i order my albums also depends on wheather its a studio album, artist compliation etc however it used 2 be wrose i used 2 use that as my guide and have a different section for each so 2pacs r u still down would be in a completly different place from all eyez on me, i ditched that and put them 2getha but still order them a certain way as i specified

i keep my cases and get really pissed off when i brake one and often swap it with a shitter albums one of the same sort, however i am in the process of burnning all my cds too put in some big fuck off wallets and i wont actually be arsed about order there as long as hip hop and non hip hop are seperated. This process includes seperating the titles so for example i have a singular cd with burning spear's marcus garvey and garvey's ghost on, when i burn that cd it will be on 2 cds.
    test
  4. identity-X

nice, I don't own by a handful of singles so that really doesn't come in to play.

I also try to group CD's together by crew. All Wu-Tang CD's & solos are together for example, and De La, Tribe, Jungle Brothers, & Black Sheep CD's are nearby each other, etc.
    test
  5. hand jive

hand jive New Member

^ yeh when i first started i tried to do that but then i was hindered by the red and meth cd both being part of diff crews n all, i tried 2 make it work out but i just couldn't
    test
  6. Hidden_Poetry

Hidden_Poetry New Member

WOW....mine are just all stacked together :/ Well, only thing I organize them by is genre's lol Other wise they are just all together.

On my computer it's nicely filed tho, like names etc etc. Not by genre tho lol That's to much work.
    test
  7. identity-X

On my computer it's split into hip-hop and non hip-hop

i have folders for every artist that I have full albums downloaded from. Every album folder has the year of release in front of it (ex. [1985]) so when you open an artists folder you see the order in which the albums were released.

Single folder for all compilations, single folder for all soundtracks

Then I have a "hip hop mp3's 1979-present" with a folder for EACH YEAR from 1979-2005. Any single mp3 for an artist that I don't already have an album (and thus a folder) for is filed into the year in which it was released, unless I can't find it.
    test
  8. OrtizDupri

OrtizDupri then you gotta BREATHE

As far as CDs, I have a CD case with Virginia/Midwest/East/RnB CDs, then one with South/West... I have all my rock CDs in another binder. I usually group by style - IE Eminem and Obie Trice are grouped because they're on Shady, Kweli, Pharoahe, and Hi-Tek are all grouped because they have that same vibe. As far as groups/solos, I always put the group album first, then the solos (in chronological order) - IE Wu-Tang's "36 Chambers" before RZA's "Bobby Digital"...
    test
  9. Hidden_Poetry

Hidden_Poetry New Member

Now that's some serious organization!! lol
    test
  10. Short2003

Short2003 AbsoluteHotness

I just put them all in a case, I don't ortganize them. It's a bitch when I wanna find them but oh well
    test
  11. Muhriasis

Muhriasis mumble sumthin.

test
  12. Hidden_Poetry

Hidden_Poetry New Member

^

The fuck :/
    test
  13. kyza soza

kyza soza This way up.

lmao @ that pic.

Was in the gallery a grip ago.

But yea, i order from year released. I don't really bother about month etc. But 98, then 99, then 00 etc.
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i organize mine randomly.....
    test
  15. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I try alphabetical and crew/label but just like a shop people take one out and put it back in the wrong place. Cunts.
    test
  16. Krighst

Krighst ,//,';./';.//''./';''/.;

Alphabetical order. Some of you take it a tad too far...
    test
  17. jesus chris

jesus chris are you serious?

I let iTunes do the sorting for me, unless it does some shit i don't like.

i used to organize cds, but i can't be bothered now.
    test
  18. hand jive

hand jive New Member

no its just easierr when i wanna find shit
    test
  19. Dex P. LaMorte

Dex P. LaMorte New Member

that picture is fake and stupid.

my cds are held in case.

the ones i like the most go in the front.
    test
  20. Macabre

Macabre Guest

The heaviest case I have that I never bother to dig up holds all of my rap.

My favorite stuff goes in the same case that holds my best walkman, and then more favorites are grouped in the case where I keep my batteries. Stuff I barely listen to is all just put together and I dig it up when my mood changes.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.