How do you get your songs on the radio and what kinda quality do you have to have????

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Toxik-Waste, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Thats very true if you want to get your music played get it played on a univeristy station first its alot easier because they arent worried about money as much as the bigger stations and also become familair with the Music or Program Director(s) kuz they are the ones that are going to get ur music into rotation its a really hard task Im at a radio station and I watch my music director throw out good music for less than a good reason theres alot of luck invovled with gettin urs played
    test
  2. E.K.O.B.A.H.

E.K.O.B.A.H. ItsArtic.com!

im using a radio shack mic and im gettin on radio soon

even tho it is collee radio 12am to 5 am, radio is radio
    test
  3. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

^ Big ups its hard as hell to get on the radio no matter what time it is or what kinda rotation u r gettin congrats
    test
  4. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

^^^LMAO

gettin on a college radio station...is not hard at all. and then getting on at a bad time slot...who will be listening, like four people? and all of them will be drunk anyway.

we aint talkin about college radio.

we are talking commercial radio stations. on the FM dial.
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

College radio is easier than commerical yea but that can even be hard to get played on kuz college radio has a lot more restrictions on what they can play because of FCC Regs plus what the school may or may not condone and theres college stations on the FM dial all the frequencies under 91.0 are reserved for educational purposes
    test
  6. BPINCpd

BPINCpd BP INC

If you could get a song on the radio would just 192 kbps like .cda regular shit be ok?
    test
  7. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

^^yeah....but the format isnt really the problem

if u recorded with a radio shack mic and cool edit u could have it at 5000kbps its not gunna make it cd quality
    test
  8. BPINCpd

BPINCpd BP INC

no shit mang. just wonderin if they wud expect u to just send them a CD.
    test
  9. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

depends....

probly a vinal...so the dj can scratch it and wat not
    test
  10. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

so the best promotional thing to have would be vinyl compared to CD as far as radio play goes?
    test
  11. BPINCpd

BPINCpd BP INC

I dont think They would expect a local artist to go out and spend alota money getttin his shit on vinyle just for radio play. It would be nice tho. And good if u were tryin to get club play too.
    test
  12. CharleyBrown

CharleyBrown Power Kingdom Stand Up

actually college radio is a very smart route..

i'll tell ya this tho...unless u have insides at the radio, or present them with something worth listening to, u probably won't get play...at our station, we chuck 75% of shit into a basket and it never gets listened to...

so when u send college radio ur stuff, send everything, I mean a WHOLE Press kit with a nice looking CD, not just a cd-r with ur name written on it. PROVIDE CONTACT INFO

Make sure you let them know you'd love to do an interview whether live or by calling in...you call in...they play ur stuff...a lot of college stations now have Hip Hop at GOOD HOURS...on weeknights/weekends...you'd be surprised how many people actually listen.

Once you start getting play, have your friends call and request ur shit...people tend to like what they hear most often...99% of this world's inhabitants follow trends...then after that, write/call the school newspaper, the local town newspaper, whatever...tell them, look, im an indy artist thats getting regular play at the local school radio station. Most newspapers will jump to this sort of shit because its an easy article and it provides with them with some entertainment news outside of J-Lo and Ben Affleck drink 22 coronas and fuck a donkey type shit. It's something people might actually be interested in (well, the donkey shit is kinda weird). After getting an article/review/interview with the newspaper...

CALL the SCHOOL store, any local/independent record stores, etc. Tell them, look, my song is getting radio play at this college station, the newspaper did a review on it, yada yada, would u be interested in selling it? Sometimes you'll get rejected, sometimes not, but if u keep getting play, and then send them a copy of the newspaper's review...bam, u got ur CD in the school store, people may not buy it, but they see it. Trust me, I never buy CDs at the school store, but everytime I'm in there, I happen to glance, and I notice others just skimming the racks.

After that, hopefully ur song is in regular rotation without people requesting it...then try to arrange a show, maybe opening for whatever artist they bring in.

Look, colleges are great for shows. Every school has 1-2 shows/year AT LEAST. You are a cheap act, and you're getting play at the school radio...what more could they ask for?! Sell your CDs after the show, chill with the ladies, etc.

Start doing this to various colleges around ur regional area, and start building a fan base. Even contact clubs about performances. Most clubs will request a press kit/demo...send them everything, newspaper clipping, fact that the store is selling CD, that ur getting radio play...they'll give u an act, most are looking to fill slots.

And you don't have to worry about audiences...college kids are always dying to go out. Be real chill, talk to them, the girls get giddy...tell all their friends who are interested in buying the CD.

I know its not as easy as it sounds...and it takes A LOT of effort, but if u want radio play, you gotta put in the work..

like Agentlead said, even if u kno insiders at the commrecial stations, ur not getting ANY radio play unless u got SERIOUS money. Most times the DJs have no control over what they play.
    test
  13. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

wow - thats good advice man - thanks
    test
  14. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

lololol....bad advice. the dj is not gonna want to skratch your track. that is stupid,
    test
  15. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

do u have a life? or must u come into every thread i reply to and say "bad advice"

last time i checked, the dj's on hot 97 scratched records...especially flex...and if ur shit is hot...its getting spun and hte beginin is getting scratched to hell.

why dont u try putting in some of ur own imput if u think mine is so wrong all the time instead of wasting the time to post "bad advice" in every thread.
    test
  16. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

if you could get radioplay you wouldn't post on this message board AAAAAAAAAAIGHT
    test
  17. CharleyBrown

CharleyBrown Power Kingdom Stand Up

^^ not true

but anyways...about the vinyl thing...I honestly don't know if its a good idea or not...but i'll tell you this...it will definitely make your package stand out from the rest.
    test
  18. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Most radio stations are on computerized playlists and take everything in on cds some will take vinyl just for their own remix versions of ur track
    test
  19. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

good shit
    test
  20. Toxik-Waste

Toxik-Waste VA'z Finest

How the fuck do I find college radio stations....shit I can't find them anywhere
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.