How do pro studio's mics that never need volume adjustments and never clip etc...?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by BPINCdef, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

Watchin videos of people in the studio and etc...
    Studios have mics we can buy and shit, but people can stand far away from them, be all up on them, yell, talk softly, but they NEVER clip and they never need to like run volume checks n shit when recordin someone and the shit is always like nice volume once done (assumin that is done with compression), is the mic the same way? the mixer it runs into compresses and EQs it so it doesnt clip or what? i dont understand - whenever i record someone here i gotta change pre-amp or mixer volumes to suit them and not get clippage
    test
  2. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

generally i dont think they move around too much...and studios (you too) can adjust settings on the fly...plus usually they record different parts at different times...so they can set shit the way they want it...plus its...just STUDIO MAGIC
    test
  3. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

but if they adjust volumes while people are spittin than it would sound off when done, ive seen people move around, YELL and stand far far back and no1 ever adjusts shit
    test
  4. Jay Slimm

Jay Slimm 6-1-6ko's

Mystery...I have been in a really nice Studio to record before... the guy had over 100,000$ in equipment and he had a small sound proof room we went in with a mounted mic ( connected to wall and came down and adjusted to person's height) and we stood about 1 or 2 feet away from it and spit...there was no sound fluctuation but I don't think we could move around too much....plus the room was really HOT!....I didn't even want to move my mouth...but what's the point of being able to be anywhere in a room and a mic still recording you the same as opposed to sitting by it....I don't think it's that big of a burden...

Does open space around even if quiet effect the way you sound?...as opposed to ebing in a smaller space....or does a condensor mic pick you up pretty well no matter how big the room your spittin in....????
    test
  5. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

limiters

next!
    test
  6. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

bahahahah....that was funny ghet....

i was bout to go into this whole detailed explination of limiting....and then i see your post......bahahahah
    test
  7. banetheterrible

banetheterrible New Member

yes limiting, but if you have an engineer who KNOWS what they are doing, and the artist has good mic ettiquete(sp) then clipping is rarely a problem, i have my limiter set up just in case someone decides to get a little to loud. but all my artists know how to spit and what to do if they are going to get too loud
    test
  8. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

could you explain limiting to me then please? My friend has good mic etiquete usually but he tends to get a little loud on voice overs, to the point of clippin and CONSTANTLY adjusting the sound SEEMS like somethin i dont hafta do
    test
  9. banetheterrible

a limiter pretty much limits the signal, so if they get super loud it adjusts itself so that way it keeps it at a somewhat consistant level with the rest. but you have to adjust your own settings but you wont have to do it take to take, and if someone gets extremly loud then it still might clip. maybe someone can explain it a little better.
    test
  10. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

and a good limiter would be? and will run me....?
    test
  11. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

LOL at not wanting to adjust the volume.

Adjusting the volume is part of the mixing process dog...thats how they take care of all the stuff you are talking about...the limiters help keep things constant...but in the end...they use the volume knobs...its really not that hard.

Oh...and what people have you seen in the studio dancing around and shit? When you see an artist recording in a studio in his music video...thats not really a take of how it was done...lol...

they stand about 1 to 2 feet away and spit their lyrics...condenser mics are more sensitive, so you can bob ya head and stuff while ya spitting without it noticing too much...they also take like 90 takes of each verse till its perfect...

then they go to mixing...and use the volume and compressers and shit.
    test
  12. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

yo, its not the space, its the fact that the spit their verse and one distance, its straight
    then the spit their voice overs and some people get all up on the mic and make their voice grimey and shit and deeper and louder and it doesnt clip.....therefore a limiter is what I would be wanting.....so whats a good yet affordable limiter?
    test
  13. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

lol...they dont get up on the mic to do voice overs...

lol...

a true voice over is the same voice...you can't change the way you spit it, or the style you spit it, etc...or its not a true voice over, and it wont sound good...

if they knew how to rap, they wouldn't do it. I suggest you stop copying whoever u just saw.

You don't need a limiter dog...just learn how to spit.
    test
  14. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

i know how to spit and they dont always need to be done in the same exact voice, it all depends on the persons style, people pay to use my studio, so instead of constantly running volume changes and stuff a limiter would be nice
    test
  15. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

so could someone else tell me whats a good limiter? im not asking wether or not i should get one, but which is a good one?
    ill drop links of some im lookin at when i get home
    test
  16. banetheterrible

it definetly helps to get one, its not required, but yea its always good to have a test run to see how the vocals are peaking. im not sure, i have the behringer with compressor and limiter on it, im not sure how much just a limiter is, but thats all i use mine for, and it was like 120
    test
  17. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

I find it funny that you "know how to spit" - yet you give the wrong example of how a voice over is done...

And you have a "studio" that people use, yet you don't know what a limiter is...

I think you should do more listening and less talking around here. Ad Libs are always done in the same voice and same tone, or you are doing it wrong...you can even ask puffy...haha.

peace.
    test
  18. banetheterrible

lol thats not true either, i know of one artist that does 3 layovers and each one is at a different tone of voice and then when its mixed down the blend nicely.....
    test
  19. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

its not called an adlib then...lol.
    test
  20. Dee N

Dee N Observation

i dont understand...why do u say ALWAYS...do u have any creativity? the only way you'll get something that sounds original is if you try out lots of ideas....

doing them in the same voice and same pitch is one idea.
    doing them in a different voice and different pitch might add a new element into the vocals.

-Dien
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.