how do i increase my benchpress?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Hardkore, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

i'ma be straight up honest. i'm a skinny ass nigga. i was about 5'4", 125 in 9th grade, and now i'm 19 and only around 5'6" and 135. right now i'm doing 3 sets of 135 (10 reps and usually struggling on reps 8, 9, and 10 on the last set). the thing is, i don't really gain weight at all when i eat. you see i've only gained 10 pounds in what...4-5 years? and when i don't work out, my muscles just shrink and i'm just short and slim as hell.

i know push-ups are a big factor, but what else can i do to increase my bench?
    test
  2. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

You go up on weight man... but you GOTTA have someone spotting you.. push ups are not a factor at all... all push ups do is cut you up... You got to go heavy.... just try adding 10 more lbs each set... and do that on every thing...I usually do this for my chest ..

I start off on Bench Press... then go to decline bench press.. then incline then I go to Incline Dumb bells... I do the cables... then butter fly chest... but I only use the machines to burn me out so I save them for last and just do heavy reps.. Like 20-30x reps...

But yea bro just do it like this and everytime U go back to do chest keep trying to go heavier... Push your self..

In other words Go Heavy or Go Home. haha
    test
  3. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Just exercise your whole body and keep getting stronger. That'll lead to a a higher bench press.
    test
  4. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

im probaly not the best to give advice on benching since its my weakest lift.

i can tell you this though, the bench press isnt the only movement. you have a lot more muscles than just the just so start hitting everything in a split fashion. start incorporating squats and deadlifts or rack pulls...some type of compound movement and eat around the clock, i dare you not to grow.

once youve done that and want to bring up your bench (while still working to bring up other lifts) basically hit the triceps, shoulders, and lats. triceps do half the work in the bench press, basically most of what happens after your elbows start bending is triceps. if you want to bring up your bench work on close grip benchpress and any other tricep movement. pullovers are good as the work just about every muscle used in the bench press, i cant do them myself due to a shoulder problem.

you really seem to fit more the category of bringing up everything before you start worrying about bringing up just one lift.
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

can you ellaborate on that?

if a muscle grows, it grows. how "cut" you look is directly proportional to how lean you are and the amount of mass you have. you cant "tone" muscles. i mean you could get technical and say well yes you can, through strength training and the recruitment of different muscle fibers which give a harder look, but for the most part, a muscle grows bigger and thats really it.
    test
  6. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

there are several ways.

one good quick way is by doing the sets in waves.

this is how it works. there are 2 "waves". first figure out your 2 rep max (nobody does 1rm anymore)... you'll need a spotter. if you don't have one, you can go online and use a bench max calculator but they aren't too accurate.

anyways, lets say your current 2 rep max is 300. it looks like this:

wave 1:
    4 x 275 / rest 3 minutes
    3 x 285 / rest 3 minutes
    2 x 295 / rest 3 minutes

wave 2:
    4 x 285 / rest 3 minutes
    3 x 295 / rest 3 minutes
    2 x 305

by the end of the 2nd wave your already doing more than your current max. try to add 5 pounds in the next couple times and keep adding 5. 10 if you can.

i used to do this a long time ago, it works pretty well. i took that directly from an old routine of mine. and no, i max out nowhere near 305.
    test
  7. Ben Official

im pretty sure hes referring to working muscular endurance as opposed to muscle strength.
    test
  8. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

what ben outlined is pretty solid, but you definitely also have to really up your intake...you need to really fuel your body and really push it to put on muscle mass...
    test
  9. LiveFromThe781

didnt sound that way.
    test
  10. Got Life?

actually it's been well documented that with the use of stretching techniques you can tone your muscles...
    test
  11. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

Doing 30 push ups a day or how many of him he does will not add to his strength in the bench press... It'll just give him more stamina.... it'll cut him up... Yea it will put him in shape... But it wont add to the bench press

Hes trying to bulk and get stronger....

so again .... GO HEAVY OR GO HOME!
    test
  12. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

Ben's guide was pretty straight. Also, the stronger your other muscles get (especially triceps) is going to help your bench out too. Other than that, I'd just keep looking out for different chest workouts and you might find a workout that really burns you.
    test
  13. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

once you can do 10 reps, just move up in weight.

do 145 for 3 sets and once you can do the first set for 10 reps then move to 155...

don't neglect your other body parts like your back, arms, legs, traps, and shoulders...your body works as a whole...
    test
  14. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

thank you all. i'ma either work out today or tomorrow, so i will see what's up and try out all of your tips. good looks.

check out my blog and click some ads so i can make money, too. [teet]
    test
  15. Got Life?

lol at this mofucker.
    test
  16. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

yeah, he doesn't seem serious about this, but you can't force people to lift or eat. The people who are going to get results will get them eventually if they want this bad enough. It took me 2 yrs to understand everything before I started to make real progress.
    test
  17. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

^Im glad I had someone to teach me everything on day one...
    test
  18. LiveFromThe781

yup. this pretty much sums it all up. if you want something bad enough youll find a way to get it. bodybuilding isnt easy, you cant just lift weights for a couple months and expect to get jacked or lift "on and off" and expect to make consistent progress either.
    test
  19. Ben Official

yeah, most people learn the hard way.

i remember back when i started... wow it was bad. i was so skinny i didnt want to go to the gym. i was too embarrassed ( i was like 14 or 15) so i had my parents by a home gym. one of those "all in one' machines. every other day i did the bench, lat pull down, and some curls and called it a day. sometimes i'd throw in some push ups. all in al it took me about 15-20 minutes max. i gained close to nothing the year or so i did that. then i started going to the gym, just doing random stuff every time, mostly just using machines.... no progress.... went on like that for almost 2 1/2 years. then i finally realized how hard and easy it was at the same time and got with the program
    test
  20. LiveFromThe781

i was determined from the start. we used to go to my friends house, a group of us, and wed just do stuff like bench, pull-overs, dips, curls, push ups and those wrist roll things. it was something to do, not sure what i did for progress but i was so skinny anything was an improvement. then everyone stopped going, someone took his bar or something and idk. next thing i know i still have all the momentum but no equipment, no money for a gym pass either so i just start doing pushups, crunches, and dips everyday. id do 3 sets of 10 with 3 different variations (close, medium, wide) for pushups. eventually my friend (a different one) donated his weight set to me, it was like a christmas gift when he was 12 or something. it was a crappy flat bench, no in/decline and a small bar, not olympic so even if i tried to bench it was more a close grip than anything. he gave me some adjustable dumbbells and a bunch of plates, in total probaly only going to 230. it was good for a while, i would do some basic stuff still but i was making a lot more progress and made some alright gains (considering the equipment of course). then i realized ok, this isnt working, i cant take my body to the next level with this stuff, so i finally started going to a gym. ive probaly only been training at gyms for 6 or 7 months. everyone talks about whats most important for bodybuilding, is it food? is it rest? is it lifting? but the most important thing is determination and dedication. without out those you probaly arent getting enough of anything else to make progress anyway.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.