How did you see the machida-shogun fight round by round?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Okay, now I have the chance to really watch the fight.
    test
  2. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

^Do yourself a favor and don't listen to word Goldberg says...
    test
  3. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Rogan and Goldberg never influence me. I'm one of the only people that felt Shogun-Coleman was a great fight.

Just watched Round 1. With a clearer head than I had yesterday, I think lyoto probably edged it out. Shogun landed some good shots and leg kicks, but Machida had more shots landed in general.
    test
  4. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Again, Shogun EASILY won round 2. I have no fucking clue how you could come to any other conclusion. Even before he clinched him against the fence and kneed the shit out of him, he was landing hard body kicks. Lyoto wasn't out of the fight or anything, but he didn't do as much.
    test
  5. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

3 was tough to call. Lyoto might've stolen it in the last 30 seconds, but he was losing it until that point.
    test
  6. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Nobody stole round 4, really. Shogun probably got it with leg kicks. I could see it going either way, but the shots that made me go "ouch" were shogun's.
    test
  7. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Shogun definitely got round 5. Lyoto landed a couple of knees, but it's nothing compared to the kicks, elbow, and right hand shogun got him with.

3 rounds to 2 for shogun.

As a judge, I would've given it to shogun. As an observer, I would've given it to shogun. Machida is slick enough to land shots in any fight, but Shogun was clearly picking him apart imo.

enjoyed the fight either way.
    test
  8. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

yeah.....shogun officially gained the S back to his name....
    test
  9. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Yeah, I can't hate on Shogun after that performance. It was a great exhibit. He fought a smart fight. That alone shocked the hell out of me. Big ups to Rua.
    test
  10. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

i guess the rua nay-sayers didnt catch much pride

wtf @ all the disrespect he has taken
    test
  11. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

You act as if the Forrest and Coleman fights didn't happen. Plus, he is different from his days in pride. I remember watching his training video before his fight with Chuck. His trainers even said that they had to correct his stand up technique from his Pride days. Its not as if he is the exact same fighter he has improved since his UFC debut.
    test
  12. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

partner, if you want to take a post that wasnt directed to you personally, then do you

call me names and do what you gotta do

ive watched well over 10,000 fights in my life.... i know more about this sport than any judge could ever hope to know. people's explanation was a fucking JOKE. so say what you gotta say partner.....
    test
  13. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

yeah, cecil peoples and the other two judges are a professional shitheads.

FightMetric: 49-47 Rua
    CompuStrike: Rua outlanded Machida 89-50 in Total Strikes landed including 73 Leg Strikes landed. Rua dominated the fight and did just about everything he needed to do to beat the undefeated Machida, including outlanding Machida in every round, but apparently it wasn't enough for the judges.
    Yahoo Sports / Cagewriter: 48-47 Rua
    BloodyElbow : 48-47 Rua
    USAToday: 48-47 Rua, 49-46 Rua
    Savage Science: 49-46 Rua
    ESPN / Jake Rossen: 49-46 or 48-47 Rua
    MMA Fanhouse / Michael David Smith: 48-47 Rua
    411mania.com: 48-47 Rua
    CagePotato: 49-46 Rua
    MMATorch : 48-47 Rua
    MMAJunkie : 49-46 or 48-47 Rua
    MMAMania : 50-45 Rua
    5 Ounces of Pain : Rua (no score given)
    Fightlinker : Rua (no score given)
    MMAConvert: Rua ("Machida was given a gift")
    ProMMA.Info: 50-45 Rua
    Sherdog:
    Jordan Breen -- 48-47 Rua
    Brian Knapp -- 48-47 Rua
    Mike Fridley -- 50-45 Rua
    Sports Illustrated (thanks jamers):
    Ben Fowlkes - Rua ("They say you have to clearly beat the champion if you want to take his belt. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua seemed to have done just that at UFC 104 on Saturday night, but the mere fact that UFC light heavyweight champ Lyoto Machida was still conscious at the end was apparently enough for the judges to give him the victory")
    Joss Gross: 48-47 Rua
    MMARising / Robert Sargeant (thanks TheEnigma): 49-46 Rua
    FightLine: 49-46 Rua (thanks karatelarusso)
    Loretta Hunt (thanks On Letting Go): Rua ("I am very disappointed in the decision. Very upsetting. The sport owes Mauricio "Shogun" Rua a big apology.")
    TATAME (thanks Radamantis): "Maurício “Shogun” Rua was the underdog, but the 2005 Pride GP champion “surprised” everybody with a perfect strategy and performance, dominating three out of five rounds against Lyoto Machida, but losing by unanimous decision (48-47)."

it takes a real PRO to judge mma fight apparently

so much so, only 3 humans could see the real result.
    test
  14. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Wait, did any media outlet give Lyoto the nod? If not that is pretty damning.
    test
  15. .:Pain:.

Didn't say I took it personally, it just seems like you took this decision personally. I mean seriously, are you Shogun? I don't think he even took the decision that harshly.

I've been watching/training in MMA since before it was a fad. I have been a fan since UFC 3. I've watched almost every single Pride event, and every single Strikeforce event ( don't care much for Dream). Not to mention the countless boxing cards I've watched. Trust me when I say that you're level of knowledge is at best equal to mine, which wouldn't surprise me, but to imply that your knowledge of fighting sports is god-like is retarded.

Cecil Peoples, as retarded as what he said was, had a point. Machida made Shogun fight his fight. Regardless of who was coming forward, Machida was the one controlling the action. Shogun fucked up by only trying to clinch a few times, and never taking the fight to the ground.

Like I said, I had the fight 2-2 with the last round up for grabs. And when a round is up for grabs, the normal thing to do is to give that round to the reigning champ...
    test
  16. .:Pain:.

Oh and one more thing.

The only round that I thought was clearly won by anyone was round 4 by Shogun. The rest I can easily see why someone would vote for either. People judge fights based on different criteria, and mine says that Machida won three of those rounds...
    test
  17. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Yeah.

i wasn't too big on rua until I saw the chuck and lyoto fights. Never disliked him or anything, but besides his ground game I thought he wasn't much besides speed, aggression, and soccer kicks.

Recently he has shown that his striking has improved a lot and that he takes training and strategy seriously.

I think he's just now starting to live up to the hype that has surrounded him for years.
    test
  18. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Machida made Shogun fight his fight? What were you watching?

Machida got whooped by pretty much pure muay thai and kickboxing, which was rua's deal. Shit, Machida thrives on people wanting to take him down for the most part. Watch Machida-Tito for further evidence.

Machida was a little out of his element against a guy that was trying to wear him down and outpoint him rather than go for the finish.
    test
  19. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

And before the emotional thing comes into play, I'm not that mad over this decision. I am pretty heated over decisions in general.

These judges don't know or care about mma. Cecil Peoples said takedown defense counts as effective grappling. What? Is he also going to give the guy who defends shots points for effective striking? Defense should only count as something that nullifies attacks, or maybe even count against the person on defense if they're constantly on defense.
    test
  20. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

To be fair, people are starting to say that that Peoples quote is fake. CageReport.net has a bad reputation for circulating fake stories, including that anti-MMA Floyd Mayweather interview that had everyone pissed.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.