How did you see the machida-shogun fight round by round?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Mac Sabbath, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

just now watching it. Dunno if I'll have time to finish today.

First round could go either way. Would probably give it to shogun. Landed cleaner, harder shots for the most part. Anytime he was hit, he answered.

shogun won 2 pretty easily.

lyoto got 3 despite shogun landing the most significant shot.
    test
  2. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I gave every round except 3 to Shogun. I scored it 49-46.

I thought Shogun scored clean strikes and countered effectively, where Machida seemed to get his counters cut short and a lot of punches whiffed.

But I have to rewatch. I was expecting Machida to steamroll, so I might have been overly disappointed. I've heard that the commentary was very biased, like Akiyama-Belcher.

IMO, Machida could have taken it by fighting the opposite of his style and rushing in more. He does very well in scrambles and flurries - He's very accurate and his twitch defence is good, as if he sees in slow motion. It's what won him round 3 in my eyes.

But check the Fightmetric: Machida-Shogun
    test
  3. Newportz

Newportz Guest

I was one of the guys bitching and screaming at the descision last night...

A lot less drunk and going in w/ a clear unbiased mindset, volume off, HD TV, 52 inch...

I stopped and rewinded every encounter to make sure I didn't miss any kick/punch/counter.....

I can see where the judges could have scored the first 3 rounds for Lyoto....the leg and body kicks were extremely solid shots from shogun but damned near every solid kick was countered w/ a punch straight down the pipe for Machida....

So either the judges were staring at Lyoto and watching all his shots/counters or they have a rewindable DVR set-up as well....it was too easy to miss all the punches w/ the loud ass snaps from Shoguns leg and body kicks....and Rogan was undoubtably biased....

What makes it worse is the fact that Machida looked like a gassed mess thru rounds 4 & 5.....

but.......round for round, I can't call it the worst descision I've seen....too damned close....

for the judge that gave the 4th round to machida......he needs to be taken out.
    test
  4. Newportz

Newportz Guest

I can't see giving the first round to Shogun. The first round to Lyoto and the 5th round for Shogun were the two most clear cut rounds IMO.....Lyoto lit his ass up w/ the knees in the beginning of the round and landed some very solid counter punches and roundhouse kicks to the body....
    test
  5. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Watching now...

Round 1: Besides the right and the leg kicks in the last minute, Rua didn't do shit. Machida landed better, was cleaner, was crisper, and definitely won the round. I think it was close, but still clearly Machida's.
    Round 2: Regardless of whether Rua was the one coming forward, Machida controlled the round. Rua clearly won the clinch, but Machida controlled the round, almost every kick Rua threw was countered by a straight left. Again, I'd say Machida had the better round.
    Round 3: Even though Machida's flurry at the end was nice, Rua definitely won this round. It seemed like he couldn't miss with those leg and body kicks, and he threw them hard as fuck.
    Round 4: Shogun clearly won. I don't think anyone can argue that Rua controlled this round from start to finish.
    Round 5: Neither did anything to "win" this round. I would give it to Shogun if he were the champ, but the champ always wins the close rounds.

#1) People need to realize the champ always wins close rounds.
    #2) If no one had a belt, Shogun would've won this fight.
    #3) I think if people muted the commentary, they may have a different view of some of the rounds.
    #4) I think this fight demonstrated why MMA can be just as much of a sweet science as boxing.
    #5) It was 48-47 on all three scorecards. I think a split decision would've been more proper, but Lyoto is champion.
    #6) I think a rematch will be 10 times more entertaining...
    test
  6. Tha Cunnysmythe

I've always thought this concept was some bullshit. I believe if you win the fight, you should win the belt. If it's a draw, the champ retains.

Still need to rewatch without commentary, though.
    test
  7. .:Pain:.

I apologize if I implied that this concept was cool, but I too hate that shit. But this is reality, and the home team always gets the close calls. Like I said, Shogun DID win the fight in my eyes, but by such a close margin that I have no problem with Machida getting the win, due to the ways of the world...
    test
  8. Tha Cunnysmythe

Nah, I didn't infer anything. You were just stating the facts.

Would you say the commentary made it sound like Shogun dominated the whole fight?
    test
  9. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

they already made a post on shedog

rua won on everybodies card minus those refs in LA

rus got hosed just like ninja did vs rampage
    test
  10. .:Pain:.

Absolutely. Rogan was pretty unbiased, but Goldberg was fuckin' ridiculous, it's like he didn't see a single counter punch Machida threw against Rua's leg/body kicks. Even Rogan made way more of a point about Shogun's kicks than Machida's punches. I think it was the second round where Goldberg made it sound like Machida needed a knockout to win.

I think that most people were heavily influenced by the commentary, the fight wasn't nearly as one-sided in Shogun's favor as Goldberg made it seem...
    test
  11. Tha Cunnysmythe

I know I get influenced by commentary a lot.

Sometimes in a flurry you don't see what connected and what got slipped, and I rely on the commentary to fill me in. I remember thinking a few times that Lyoto had got the best of an exchange, but all they'd mention was a Shogun strike that I hadn't even seen.
    test
  12. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

exactly

i had it 49-46

only the 3rd round was in question

i dont care if someone slowed it down watched it in slowmo on acid through a fish tank

shogun won at least 4 rounds, if you disagree youre a fucking nut

period
    test
  13. Blitzah

Blitzah New Member

shogun got ROBBED...fuckin bs decision
    test
  14. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

LISTEN... this whole "you gotta BEAT the champ to be the champ" is fuckin STUPID.. that shit was made up when someone who was champ lost by a small margin but was liked so much they made an excuse for him to keep it in boxing, guaranteed

SECOND.. if your the champion.. why should they have to outperform you by a lot?? your the CHAMP, you should be expected to outperform THEM, not the other way around. if the challenger can even slightly come out on top of you he deserves the belt, your the champion for a reason, because your supposed to be better than the rest, not so you can hold onto some bullshit old crutch about having to "beat" the champ

i dont care if shogun just BARELY beat him by such a small margin you have to look at the stats to realize it, that makes him the fuckin champ...
    test
  15. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Shogun won 50-45. I am not a fan of Shogun's at all. That is known on this board, but he owned Lyoto.
    test
  16. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

not only that but the way ufc fights are scored completely doesnt even work with the 'gotta beat the champ' statement.

so what are people saying? if you win 4 of 5 rounds and every round is scored on a 10 point must, you actually dont have to beat the champ by the ufc's scoring system, but a scoring system we dont even know about? a "SECRET" scoring system? i mean what the fuck is all this?

"you gotta beat the champ" well, he did and he did it under ufc scoring. idk wtf else they want from him. he tried to get the KO a few times, meanwhile machida backpeddled his way to a joke dec victory.

unreal.
    test
  17. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

yeah, youre a fucking genius

tool

Machida, Rua Agree to 'Immediate Rematch'
    test
  18. Very big of you..

We need some of you to judge UFC 105.. lol
    test
  19. .:Pain:.

Like I said in my breakdown, I had Shogun winning three rounds, with one of those rounds (round 5) being pretty much too close to call. Of course, I don't get all emotional over these things, so I'll refrain from the defamation and name-calling...
    test
  20. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

1.) :eek:

2.) I was actually going to ask you if you gained any respect for Shogun in that fight.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.