How can Chronic 2001 be considered classic

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Twamp, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

When don't nobody put Dre in their top 30 rappers of all time?

don't say production because a "classic" album is more than that.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    test
  2. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

But, people put the people that write for him in their top 30...Chronic 01' is an amalgamation of rappers who are better than Dre, letting him be the mouth piece for their lyrics.

His delivery and voice has always been good, COMBINED with top notch production, then you have a classic album. I don't think Dre really deserves credit for it tho.
    test
  3. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

2001 is a certified classic, one of the most classic hip hop albums ever imo.
    test
  4. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

Top notch beats & production, ill features and ghostwriting makes it tight, almost every track is good, which it's why it's become a classic.. The Chronic is a classic too.
    test
  5. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

It is an amazing album.
    test
  6. Orange407County

Orange407County Well-Known Member

Made me want to listen now

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    test
  7. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

chronic>>>>

01 wuz iight..

detox will never come out
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I agree with Donn... but you can still call an album a classic if the producer is not rappin' on it, even though Dre does rap on both of his Chronic albums... his albums are more like "Dr. Dre Presents..." And Dre is one of the better rappin' producers throughout rap history... ie., Diamond D., Pete Rock, Erick Sermon and even Large Professor are kinda wack.
    test
  9. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

You dont have to be a top 30 rapper to put out a classic album. Mobb Deep's Infamous is a classic, but havoc and prodigy arent anywhere near my top 30.

a classic album means that the music on that particular album is dope as fuck, and it had a big impact on the rap community.
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Exactly... so dream, why do you put Taste of Chocolate above Amerikkka's Most Wanted? I thought you were only looking at the rapper with that selection and not the ALBUMS... line for line, lyric for lyric, Kane is better than Cube... but Amerikkka's Most Wanted is one of the greatest albums in MUSIC history.
    test
  11. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

well, first, the term classic involves impact and Amerikka's most Wanted had a bigger impact on the rap community, which is why its the bigger "classic" album.

as far as why I actually LIKE taste of chocolate better, its real simple... I just like Big Daddy Kane's style... dude is one of the cleverest MC's of all time... absolutely nothing against cube...

Taste of chocolate is where my favorite span of BDK albums starts. (taste of chocolate through Daddy's Home)

and yes, I know this is blasphemous to most old school hip hop fans, but On Long Live the Kane and Its a Big Daddy thing, I dont think he was as clever with the punches and creativity as he was in his later works, although back then he was a better "rapper." Plus I like the beats better on his later work...
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

In the '80s, I wasn't that big a Kane fan, because I never really liked his beats... I liked some of his songs, but not all of them... my favorite rappers back then were LL, KRS, Slick Rick and Rakim... I didn't really become a "nerdy" hardcore hip hop fan until ATCQ and them came out...
    test
  13. DJboutit

DJboutit Well-Known Member

Dre will always be in my top 10 dude is dope as fuck better they all swag artist combined
    test
  14. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Sermon wack??

:calvinwtf:

sermon jus straight took the mic out KRS hand

:chefoooh:

you eva seen Dre kick it like that?
    test
  15. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

You got Kanye in ya top 10 but P not even crackin ya top 30

you kiddin me or what?
    test
  16. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

that Rakim verse always sets shit off so hard in pt 1

you're not allowed to spit like that on TV now
    test
  17. Blackbeard

Blackbeard The Poster Formerly Known as Murder Ink

It's not classic to me. Some classic songs on it though, no doubt.
    test
  18. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

But he don't write though?

How can you even consider a rapper a nigga that doesn't even write his rhymes... Let alone put him in a top anything?
    test
  19. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I believe he is considered a rapper largely because he has put out two of the most noted, and best selling, rap albums where he raps very well and produced them amazingly....Of course there are inherent expectations placed upon rappers and rap in general, but make absolutely no doubt about it.....being a good rapper is not something that can be faked vocally, much the same being a good singer.....To say either rapping or writing rap, is more difficult than the other, is another full topic....But think about how many people rap, try to rap, and how many we know by voice.....the art is in making songs well when one does more than one part of the creative process ......
    test
  20. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

jesus, mobb deep has 2 classics... and I really only like Infamous... hell on earth is overrated.

kanye got a huge discography of dope albums.

also, mobb deep's style is something that is really nothing special... they're dope, but a lot of rappers can do what they do... they dont really stand out, and when you talk about top 10, top 20, top 30 rappers, You gotta stand out.

Kanye west puts out music that no one else can do... only kanye west couldve made college dropout.

Infamous, as DOPE as it was, is very similar to other mid 90s NY rap that came out at that time period.
    test