Home Runs, Heroes and Hypocrisy: Performance Enhancement in Black and White

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by identity-X, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

I agree with Rich, the league has a lot of Jeff Weavers in rotations. How does Weaver keep his job and keep getting paydays.

I believe for a period of time the league created an environment that catered to hitters because before like 1920 it was dominated by pitching. Look at the all the pitching records, set by pitchers pre 1920. Guys like Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Mathewson, Alexander, Joss, Waddell etc...

Ruth may not have been able to go deep on Randy, but Walter Johnson had Ruth's number as well..
    test
  2. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

relatively speaking there are scrubs due to expansion

what league is going 2 be more talented

one with 10 teams or one with 20 teams?
    test
  3. MyKe SeaN

MyKe SeaN Paula Deen is my hero.

Ruth would've been surpassed in the 40's if those racist crackers would've let Josh Gibson into the league.

Josh Gibson >>>>> Babe Ruth
    test
  4. Nam Dekan

Since we are all up on the what if's.

He would've been chasing Jimmie Foxx's records if Foxx didn't run into a drinking problem..

You can direct a lot of your blame towards Landis though, he was against integration big time. If it wasn't him it would've happened sooner. I think it was Bill Veck who tried to buy the Pirates and planned on fielding an all black starting lineup. Landis blocked him from buying the Pirates.
    test
  5. Edmund Kemper

Edmund Kemper New Member

shut up with the biased, speculative nonsense.

you spiteful, stupid shit.
    test
  6. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

most of gibsons opponents were ametuers

the negro leauge was not a real leauge there "season" included exhibition games where they played local teams of hometown people who played ball

gibson hit under 450 HR against negro leauge teams

either way

i dont think he would have hit over 715 in the majors
    test
  7. MyKe SeaN

^^Well he was a better slugger than Aaron and Hank slaughtered Ruth's record.
    test
  8. MyKe SeaN

If the Big Time white players were to step up against him then shit would've changed. That was the whole point of this thread to begin with.
    test
  9. MyKe SeaN

Are you fuckin serious? Babe Ruth was hittin homeruns on little league fields. Let me ask you somethin ILL Rich...

What happens every time blacks get a chance to prove themselves in sporting events???

I'll anwer it for you....They Dominate! And oh yea, If A-Rod and Sosa were playing ball in the 40's they would've been playing in the negro leagues.
    test
  10. Nam Dekan

Knowing what I know of Landis, I doubt he would've done much. The guy was an angry old man set in his ways and they pretty much gave him absolute power. If it was going to happen it would have to been an owner or something like that to make the move like Branch Rickey. They needed people in power to do something when it came to Landis, and it finally took a person with power to make it happen.

A Rod is debatable. He was the same skin tone as Charles "Chief" Bender, and some other hispanics and native americans that played. If it was John McGraw coaching he would've tried to pass Sosa off as Navajo
    test
  11. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

the negro leauges played games on the same ballparks, sometimes smaller, depending on if the town they were playing in had no professional field they played on little leauge fields, literally

word, blacks do seem 2 be the majority of the players in the nfl and nba. the mlb is pretty much spead out evenly but whites are still the majority in it, with hispanics 2nd blacks 3rd and asians 4th

either way in integrated sports like football you still have white superstars like peyton manning, tom brady, brian ulracher, teddy bruschi, steve nash, dirk novitski and you also have record holders like john stockton, dan marino, pete maravich so even if the mlb is integrated the truely great players would still be dominant and record holders, like babe ruth. when babe played he was lightyears ahead of everyone it wasnt like everyone was hitting 50hr a year and babe hit 60. the avg guy was hitting like 10 hr and babe was hitting in the 50s and 60s.

and like nam said a-rod and sosa would have been passed off as indian like they did with many hispanics
    test
  12. Nam Dekan

Sosa would've been in the negro leagues though. McGraw tried and failed at getting a dark skinned dominican on the field. He tried to pass him off as Navajo as the reason for him being so dark.
    test
  13. Nam Dekan

Also many ballparks of the past were good sized and i think plenty had 500 foot center field walls. Shibe Park was pretty good sized as was Griffith, and these stadiums were pretty much on par with today's sizes except for the deeeep center field. Yankee stadium did have a 290 foot right field wall but that was directly down the line, and then went up to 350 foot further from the line reaching a peak of 490 feet in center. I'm not sure of many little league parks that are 490 feet straight away center..

As far as I can see the author talks about the fences straight down the lines in 1 stadium. He ignores the fact that going away from the lines the fences became increasingly further back reaching a 490 foot apex. He doesn't talk about other parks as well such as Shibe, Griffith and others.
    test
  14. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I could give a fuck about this whole stupid ass racial debate about how the players of past would have been completely and utterly dominated had blacks been allowed to play.

I'm just here to post this....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember when he was still able to steal bases? That abnormal organ and bone growth from HGH injections will sure fuck ya sometimes.
    test
  15. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

in his first 14 years he stole over 400 bases

in his last 8 he hasnt stolen 40 yet
    test
  16. BeEgEe

BeEgEe El Warm Shot

he went from a size 42 jersey to a size 52

his feet also grew a size and a half after he turned 28
    test
  17. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

thats what steroids do
    test
  18. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

More specifically, human growth hormone. No steroid other than HGH or possibly IGF-1 is going to increase shoe size.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.